X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiofiel10
    • Nov 2009

Classé CAP2100 doesn't power up

Hi all,

I kept my CAP2100 off for quite some time. When I am not using it for weeks or months, I turn it off on the back.

When I tried turning it on this morning, it wouldn't. No response whatsoever. No standbye light, nothing.

I checked the fuse, seems to be ok. I changed the mains cables with my CDP (which turns on fine), no change.

Anybody an idea what it could be, before I turn it in with Classe.

Thanks
  • Glen B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2004

No power up suggests a burnt out fuse or power supply/soft start circuit/protection circuit failure. How did you check the fuse ? Visual inspection is not always reliable. If you have a multimeter, use it to check the fuse for continuity.

Comment

• style
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2006

with "on" the led dont make nothing?
      a little time "fast-blink?!?" or so like that?
      is possible recharge the soft version ? is possible that is a reboot problem.

I had some like proble with a old cp700: with Classe I have rechardge the software and all was OK!!!!

Comment

• audiofiel10
        • Nov 2009

Glen,

I only checked it visually. I don't have a multimeter, so checking it is not really possible. Is it really possible that it looks ok (wire not broken) but still it would be broken?
        My dealer will send me a new fuse, so will try to replace the old and see if that solves the matter.

Style,

I can turn the amp on and off on the back with the black switch, nothing happens on the front. No standby light in any color, no fast blink, nothing. So not possible to load any software or anything, because the whole thing is dead.

Comment

• Glen B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by audiofiel10
          Glen,

I only checked it visually. I don't have a multimeter, so checking it is not really possible. Is it really possible that it looks ok (wire not broken) but still it would be broken?
          My dealer will send me a new fuse, so will try to replace the old and see if that solves the matter.
          It is rare but not impossible for a fuse to look good but still be bad. It depends on where the break is. Every audio enthusiast should have a basic multimeter to do perform simple checks. You can pickup a meter from Home Depot, Lowe's, Radio Shack or Sears for under $20.00.

Comment

• audiofiel10
            • Nov 2009

If it's not the fuse...what would it most likely be?

I mean, the whole thing is dead. I guess that would mean it's not getting any power at all. Are there any other fuses inside?

Comment

• kpodolski
              • Jun 2006

If it's not the fuse...what would it most likely be?

I mean, the whole thing is dead. I guess that would mean it's not getting any power at all. Are there any other fuses inside?

There is another fuse to the left of the transformer. May want to check that one also....

The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton

Comment

• audiofiel10
                • Nov 2009

ok, my amp has been standing defect for weeks now and no solution. I replaced one of the 2 fuses inside, which seemed to have burned through (there's one on the front on the right side as well as on the left side). Without putting the top back on, I powered it back on and got a blue blinking light on the front (getting ready to power up), which like normally became fully lit on. Then I turned it back off, to put back the top, when turning it back on...nothing again.

Offcourse opened up the top again, thinking the fuse had burned again, but it seems to be ok, as well as the other one inside and the one on the back panel.

So now I have seemingly, 3 fuses in good working order and my amp still doesn't turn on.

What kind of junk is this Classe anyway???? I am dreading having to turn it back in, because my dealer is not really around the corner...

But I guess I got to the end of the rope with regard to fixing it myself...

Anybody some more ideas???

Thanks

Comment

• wildtangent
                  • Dec 2006

ok, my amp has been standing defect for weeks now and no solution. I replaced one of the 2 fuses inside, which seemed to have burned through (there's one on the front on the right side as well as on the left side). Without putting the top back on, I powered it back on and got a blue blinking light on the front (getting ready to power up), which like normally became fully lit on. Then I turned it back off, to put back the top, when turning it back on...nothing again.
                  Unplug it from the wall and plug it back in.
                  If it still doesn't come on unplug it from the wall turn the switch on the back on and plug it back in.

Comment

• beden1
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by wildtangent
                    Unplug it from the wall and plug it back in.
                    If it still doesn't come on unplug it from the wall turn the switch on the back on and plug it back in.
                    :T I was about to say try unplugging it, wait 10+ seconds, and plug it back in. What you are experiencing happens to my SSP-800 sometimes when I turn off the system with the surge protector for a couple of months while I'm not at the house. When I return, I have to unplug it and do the re-boot.

Comment

• audiofiel10
                      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by beden1
                      :T I was about to say try unplugging it, wait 10+ seconds, and plug it back in. What you are experiencing happens to my SSP-800 sometimes when I turn off the system with the surge protector for a couple of months while I'm not at the house. When I return, I have to unplug it and do the re-boot.
                      Unplugged it, left it unplugged, swtiched the button on the back a few times, plugged it back in....nothing

Then changed the fuse inside again, turned it on and ... bang...fuse went through. Now, I am not sure if it was a good fuse, since I could hardly see a thread inside...

So I could do that one more time...or 10 times

But it seems there's something wrong with it.

Since the fuse on the right side seems to be burning through, any ideas on what it could be????

It's still under warranty, so shouldn't be so much of a problem to get it fixed, other than that it's a pain in the butt to ship it to my dealer...

Oh well..

Comment

• dan87951
                        • Nov 2005

Sorry to hear about your Classe troubles. Your best bet it to have the dealer just take care of it.
                        dan87951
                        audio guru

Comment

• mjb
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

It's still under warranty, so shouldn't be so much of a problem to get it fixed, other than that it's a pain in the butt to ship it to my dealer...
                          I'm sorry to say, if its still under warranty, I'd get it back to your dealer so Classé can have a look at it. Classé customer service is generally very good, and I'm sure they'll fix it up in no time - at no cost.
                          - Mike

Main System:
                          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                          Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• garak
                            • Jul 2007

First, sorry audiofiel10 about the issue. Classé customer service is excellent, and will most likely fix the problem quickly.

Sorry for the OT, but this topic never seems to die...Wow a Classé amp made in Canada that has problems. They must have serious quality control issues there. Those Canadians must be terrible at screwing circuit boards into place.

Comment

• Glen B
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jul 2004

Every manufacturer experiences failures that don't necessarily have anything to do with quality control. They don't make the parts they use, and a certain percentage of those parts will fail. That's Murphy's Law. The Classe failures reported here on HTG don't seem to be unusual for their market share, certainly not as much as Rotel. I have owned a number of Classé components over the years and knock on wood have never experienced a single failure or malfunction. I recently sold my oldest piece, a cherished 21 year old DR-10 amp that was still operating to factory specs at the time of sale.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"