X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • b&w fan
    • Feb 2006

Rotel vs. Plinius

Hello all!
    Does anyone have listened to amplifiers Plinius?. I am thinking to buy a Rotel 100 watts integrated amplifier to match a CDM9NT speakers, but a friend recommend me the Plinus 9100 rated at 120 watts per channel.
    Do you think is worth delaying my Rotel purchase to test the Plinius 9100?
    Thank you for your comments,
  • Clepto
    • Feb 2006

Never a bad idea to test/compare. If you don't, you may regret never testing it. And if you do test, and still go with Rotel, you'll be all the more happy for having assured yourself of the right purchase.

Comment

• miner
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Clepto
      Never a bad idea to test/compare. If you don't, you may regret never testing it. And if you do test, and still go with Rotel, you'll be all the more happy for having assured yourself of the right purchase.
      ....plus if you do decide to go with Rotel you will end up with major $$$ left in your wallet.

Comment

• b&w fan
        • Feb 2006

But regardless of the price ..., are them comparable? or one is overly superior than the other?

Comment

• abqnmusa
          • Jan 2006

Hi B&W Fan,

I have the B&W CDM7NT speakers with the Rotel RA-1070 integrated amp (100 wpc). I also used to have Nautilus 804's that are quite similar to the CDM9NT speakers.

The RA-1070 is a good integrated amp for the CDM7NT's but may be inadequate for the 9NT's. The RA-1070 powering the 804's required I set it for L2 which increases the BASS output. That told me the amp just did not have enough current. The same held true when I connected B&W 703 speakers to the RA-1070.

I tried the 804's & 703's with my main stereo using a RC-1090 & RB-1080 amp (200 wpc). Using the preamp and the dedicated amplifier just has more curent. It was able to easily power either speaker full full bass response, & stronger detailed midrange & tweeter. I even tried the same test using the RA-1070 as a preamp for the RB-1080 with the same results.

You should seriously consider using an amp such as the 200 wpc RB-1080 to power your CDM9NT's.

Good luck

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
            • May 2004

Hi b&w fan,
            I agree with abqnmusa. The FST midrange in the CDM9NT's will want more than 100-120 watts. I too have the CDM7NT's and feed them with a 250 watt Krell Kav250a. I suggest 200 watts at a minimum for the 9nt's.
            Good luck.
            Steel

Comment

• b&w fan
              • Feb 2006

I think you prefer Plinius ...

I will listen to a Plinius 9100 integrated amplifier connected to a CDM9NT tomorrow.

According to what I have read in Audioreviews Plinius seems to me a better amplifier than Rotel. Unfortunately I can not listen to Rotel in the same set up and simultaneously as for me to make a complete judgement.

On the other hand, the responses I got in this forum are either ambivalent or so timidly favoring Rotel that make believe that you actually prefer Plinius but are unwilling to admit it ...

Comment

• lvhung
                • Jun 2005

Plinius seem to work well with Dynaudio
                but B&W need Rotel to work

Comment

• bigburner
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

I use a Rotel RB-1080 amp (200 watts per channel) to power my CDM9NT speakers. I wouldn't want to use a less powerful amp than that.

Comment

• miner
                    • Mar 2005

What you spend on the Plinius integrated you could get a Rotel RB-1092 (class D 500w/ch) and a RC-1070 pre. One thing I noticed about Plinius was the noise level through the speakeres when nothing was playing - lots of hiss.

Comment

• BTB
                      • Jan 2006

Hi there, I had a Plinius 9100 on loan for a few days. Costs serious money (relative). It is built very, very well and even the packaging gives you a sense of high quality. I tried it with my B&W 704's. It's a great amp, runs very cool and really sounds like it has a lot of grunt. Unfortunately, I.M.H.O it sounds a bit tame, bit of a "smoothie" really. If that's your thing it'll do nicely.

Yet considering the cost of the Plinius + the fact that B&W's really thrive on healthy doses of power (200w or more in the case of your speakers, as others have already correctly stated) perhaps you would be better off getting something like Rotel seperates, not because we're all too timid to admit anything :W , but because we appreciate that Rotel really offers a cost to performance ratio that's pretty hard to beat, if you like their sound of course.

For what it's worth I.M.O the main difference was that the Plinius sounded less agile (especially in the lower frequencies) and less "dynamic" than the Rotels I now own. They just seemed to "smooth" everything out a bit. Perhaps you might like to read the "Stereophile" review of the Rotel RB 1080 or RB 1090 (both easily found on the net) for professional opinion from one of the more (I.M.O) discerning publications out there? "Positive feedback" also has a good review of the Plinius 9100 (sorry no links). Maybe that helps a bit? Otherwise I'll be glad to answer more specific questions you might have.
                      Last edited by BTB; 09 March 2006, 08:55 Thursday.

Comment

• lvhung
                        • Jun 2005

If Made in Newzealand makes sense
                        I wish One day Plinius make AV products

Comment

• mattburk
                          • Feb 2003

I have heard nothing but good things about plinius. I would think the rotel would be a step down. check out the gemstone. They rate pretty high for the money.
                          www.mycstone.com
                          www.coverednow.com
                          www.biarenton.com

Comment

• bigburner
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2005

Originally posted by lvhung
                            If Made in Newzealand makes sense
                            It only makes sense if you want quality products made by dedicated people.

I'd still go for a grunty Rotel amp in this particular situation though.

Nigel.

Comment

• Iggurk
                              • Jun 2006

Hello!

If you listen a Plinius amp you will forget all the others amp on earth, it's pure heaven with BW.

Never listened the 9100, but the 9200 and SA-Ref are just totally amazing.

If you have money don't think twice, go Plinius, otherwise Rotel is very good for the price.

Comment

• Joey_V
                                • Jul 2005

I know this is about the 9100, but here is a review of the Plinius SA102 vs the Rotel RB1090....
                                The Plinius SA102 has arrived as most of you probably know by now and I am obligated to write a review about it and referenced to my previous reference amplifier, the Rotel RB1090 dual monoblock amp. Setup: SqueezeBox 3 -> Rotel RC1070 preamplifier -> Rotel RB1090 amp/Plinius SA102 amp ->...

Now, there was some buzz with the Plinius, but they have a switch in the back which allows for ground loop removal.... one switch and the hum went away. Perfecto!!

I really dig my Plinius, nothing like pure Class A.

:T
                                Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                                Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                                System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• mattburk
                                  • Feb 2003

Joey, do you every crave more power?
                                  www.mycstone.com
                                  www.coverednow.com
                                  www.biarenton.com

Comment

• Joey_V
                                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by mattburk
                                    Joey, do you every crave more power?
                                    Perhaps...
                                    Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                                    Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                                    System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• mattburk
                                      • Feb 2003

Joey are you over at av123 too? I am getting the rsl II's. The plinius right now is my first choice amp, but I am considering the delta series classe amps too. Do you have an opinion on them?
                                      www.mycstone.com
                                      www.coverednow.com
                                      www.biarenton.com

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"