X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sal1k
    • Jul 2009

Proper Setup Help...

I am running a 2 channel system with an RSX 1550 Receiver, along with 2 B&W CM9 speakers for L & R, no surround, no sub, nothing else.

What would the optimum settings be for the Rotel. Obviously, LARGE for Front Speakers, should I mess around with "contour" or the crossover settings?

If so, what would you recommend?

Thank you for your opinions, I'll be fiddling around with the system later tonight, so please do respond!

Sal
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

If your only using the 1550 for 2 channel i would use large and turn of ALL the crossovers, DSP, contour, and listen in bypass. This will give you the best 2 channel for music. In my experience with 2 channel set ups, you want to keep everything as pure as possible i.e. change nothing in the signal. strait from the CD to the speakers with nothing screwing with the sound. If you are using HDMI you cant have the sound in bypass. So just leave it in stereo. hope this helps
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• sal1k
      • Jul 2009

It does help, Thank you lots...

Now off to post another question... What is a nice budget sub I can buy to complement the CM9s?

I have seen Velodyne Micro / Mini Vee's for under $500 on Audiogon...

I'd like sub that's small, but can really round out the sound.

Thanks,
      Sal

(see other post for the sub question)

Comment

• BWLover
        • Jan 2009

i lot of guys on here dont have B&W subs with there B&W speakers. Me personally i would get a B&W sub just for synergy. But I dont have much experience with subs. i just think that they should match.
        Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
        Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
        Playstation 3
        Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• gd
          • Jan 2003

Since you're setting up a very nice music-oriented 2-channel system with the most direct signal paths possible, I'd suggest a sub that has high(speaker)-level connections (so you can bypass unnecessary processing in the receiver).

If you can expand the budget a bit, REL makes music-oriented subs that are worth the extra money.

If you really need to stick to budget, online sub mfrs such as SVS, Hsu should serve you well.
          greg (gd to you)
          Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
          production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• sal1k
            • Jul 2009

Thanks all for the sub advice, here's a link to the other thread... all of which I'm considering...

But back to the original question for a moment... the Rotel 1550 doesn't give me a "bypass" option in the Advanced Speaker Setup... My Fronts are set to LARGE, but it seems I have to choose a crossover freq, it defaults to 100Hz, should that suffice? Or am I doing something wrong?

Sal

Comment

• BWLover
              • Jan 2009

when your listening to music, press the "2CH" button on your RR-1061 remote (open the flap) and it should toggle between stereo and bypass. You can only use the bypass for 2 channel, when using an analogue input. I.E. your normal L&R interconnects.

As for the crossover stuff, im looking into that, i forget what i did on mine. I'll send another msg when i find out
              Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
              Playstation 3
              Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• BWLover
                • Jan 2009

im pretty sure in the "speaker setup" menu, as long as you have the sub woofer turned off, the crossover is turned off automatically. Even though it says 100hz or whatever its actually off. Make sure you have all the other speakers off as well "center, surround, center back". Once you get your sub though you can re do your setups. Also when you have your sub, the bypass mode turns it off. Bypass turns EVERYTHING off and sends full freq to the from mains.
                Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                Playstation 3
                Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

I do have to ask if you are planning on adding a center channel and surround speakers soon. If not, you really only want to use the analog inputs anyway. There's dynamic range issues with Dolby Digital and DTS when using less then a 5.1 setup.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"