X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sal1k
    • Jul 2009

Center Channel conundrum....

After having set up my new "toys" (Rotel RSX-1550 receiver, and B&W CM9 pair, and a Panasonic 50" Plasma) last week. I am wondering if there's a way to have the internal speakers of the Panaconic Plasma be the "Center" channel, and the CM9's be true Left and rights.

As of now, the Rotel is downmixing all incoming audio for 2CH sound (which is fine, it sounds great and that's what I was intending), but if I could use the television panel's speakers as the center, that would be a bonus).

The Plasma is a TC-P50G15, and it has RCA audio inputs.

Would I need to tell the Rotel Receiver I have a Center Channel speaker (small), and plug a split RCA cable from the center Pre Out on the back of the receiver and into the Center / audio in of the panasonic?

Thanks!
    Sal

P.S. I'd just like to know if this was possible. I'd rather spring for a center later this year than relegate center channel sound to the crappy Panasonic speakers.
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Sal,

It does sound feasible. However, the gain on the TV 'amps' will be much less than the kind of amp the Rotel would likely be hooked up to. In addition to a serious sound quality issue, you could have a serious volume issue. To hear much out of the center, you might have to really crank the system up.

Why not just wait and get the matching center channel later. Patience and then problem solved.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by htsteve; 07 August 2009, 16:01 Friday.

Comment

• mjb
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

As nice as it would be, it ain't gonna work. The "front three" are you're most important speakers, and should normally be pretty well matched for tone and gain. The Panasonic's internal speakers just won't be comparable to your CM9's. Added to which, you'll have serious level problems as Steve suggests (ie, you can set it up to sound half way decent, but it will only work at one level). As you already have a RSX-1550 you'd be well advised to spring for a CM Center to match your CM9's.
      - Mike

Main System:
      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• MuShu007
        • Jun 2002

Better yet if you have the $$$, go with the CMC2. :T

Comment

• sal1k
          • Jul 2009

Thanks everyone. I'm just going to wait and get a center + sub later this year.

Sal

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"