X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • calbfer99
    • Nov 2003

Sub Channel Question?

Hello I'm new to this forum and I just purchased Rotel RSP-1066, RMB-1075, RDV-1060, RT-1080 a few weeks ago. I have custom built Focal speakers for my main fornts, which consist of two seperate boxes. Top is mid and high and bottom is for bass (2 12's). their is a cross over built into the sub box. right now the top box is connected to the bottom box and then connected to the amp. I do not have a dedicated subwoofer so the sub channel is redirected to my main speakers.

I use 75% HT and 25% music, when watching certain movies it sounds pretty good bass and all, but some movies just dont hit. I personally like LOTS of bass, I love when everything rattles.

I was thinking of purchasing a 2 channel amp and connecting the 2 bottom boxes to it and connecting it to the LFE channel and using the top box for the main L/R channel.

Question:
    Would setting the two subs to LFE channel with an amp have much gain (bass) over how its configured now?
    being that I have large front speakers is haveing the sub turned off on the rotel give the same effect as if I had something connected to the LFE channel?
    should i just leave the L/R speakers and just buy a dedicated sub (velodyne)?

Thank you for any help

Calbfer99
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase

Well ideally my guess would be that you'd get the best results doing all of the above. If you have the funds, this is what I'd do:

Buy a 2-channel amp to bi-amp your mains and run them as "large"/full range using the 1075 for your mids/highs and the 2-channel for those 12's. This would give you tons of power and bass which should bennefit music listening without a sub.

Then also buy the Velodyne and run the LFE to it.

Setting up this way would give lot's of clean power from the 1075 to power the easier to drive highs/mids so they'd most likely sound better. The 12's in your speakers would sound better as they'd have their own power and you should get cleaner and deeper bass out of them. Then for movies you'd have a sub that could concentrate on just the LFE channel which should give you that SLAM you're looking for.

Good Luck

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• calbfer99
      • Nov 2003

ok. so your saying to leave the fronts as mains and just add an amp. I'm not sure if my speakers can handle bi-amping. only one post to connect to. can anything get damaged? Can I even do it?

thanks

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

How is the top section (mids/highs) connected to the bottom section (12' woofer)? They must have some sort of input to each section and, if I understand your first post, an output from the bottom section? You mentioned that you were considering buying a two channel amp for the bottoms in your first post so this must mean they have their own inputs and same with the top section. All you would do in this case is run the mains large, split the signal and send it to the seperate amps and connect the top/bottom sections accordingly.

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
        Jason

Comment

• calbfer99
          • Nov 2003

im not sure how its connected inside, but hteir is one post on the top box(mid/highs) and two posts on the bottom box. one is input from top box and one is output to amp.

Comment

• calbfer99
            • Nov 2003

All you would do in this case is run the mains large, split the signal and send it to the seperate amps and connect the top/bottom sections accordingly.

ok. sorry im a little new at this whole HT stuff. im not sure what split the signal means? let me know if i'm way off. use the rotel 1075 connect it to the top box. connect the bottom box to the 2 channel amp and then...? where do I connect that?
            thanks

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

You will split (using a good quality "Y" splitter) the L/R signal from your 1066 to the L/R input on the 1075 and the input on the 2-channel amp so that both amps are receiving the L/R signal. Then you would use the 1075's output to power the top tower and the 2-channel amp to power the bottom tower. (You could experiment with the amps on the top and bottom to see what sounds better. Ie: 1075 powering bottoms and the 2-channel powering the tops might sound better...?)

Then of course I still recomend the Velodyne sub for movies to give you that solid DEEP bass you desire for movies.

If you decide on this setup (and if you can afford it 8O ) you'll have an awesome setup for music and movies. You can play music without the sub and still have awesome bass extension and movies will shake your foundation. :P (I'm a little jealous... )

J.R.

Jason

Comment

• Dr C
                • Feb 2003

Correct me if I'm wrong on this but don't you need a crossover (active or passive) to split the signals into the hi/midrange + bass frequencies before redirecting into the seperate amps ?

Rgds - Dr C

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Dr C
                  Correct me if I'm wrong on this but don't you need a crossover (active or passive) to split the signals into the hi/midrange + bass frequencies before redirecting into the seperate amps ?

Rgds - Dr C
                  The high and low pass crossovers within Calbfer99's speakers should take care of directing the frequencies. It's probably not a bad idea for him to contact whomever built his custom speakers to ensure there will be no problems bi-amping them, though I can't see how there would be. This should give him the 120W (minus the small amount lost in the crossover) to the mids/highs and if he uses say the 1070 amp 130W (again, minus crossover losses) to the bass drivers. It's probably not a bad idea for him to contact the manufacturer to find out what ratio of watts they reccomend for bi-amping the tops/bottoms based on the crossover points as well. For example, depending on the crossover frequency, they might recommend something close to a 1:1 ratio for powering the top and bottom or say a 2:3 ratio if the bass drivers require a bit more power. Then he can pick the 2-channel amp that closely matches that power ratio with the 1075's 120W.

J.R.

Jason

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"