X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jorgen68
    • Jun 2009

rb 985 2ch power

the rb 985 in 5ch are 100w in 8ohm but what are the 2ch power?
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

Rotel doesn't specify different power ratings for two channels vs five channels on their amps. The only product I've seem them do it on is the RSX-1056/57/58 and the RSX-1550.

Eric

Comment

• jorgen68
      • Jun 2009

can you guess? 8)

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by jorgen68
        the rb 985 in 5ch are 100w in 8ohm but what are the 2ch power?

jorgen68,

I'm not sure I understand your question. The 985 is 100 wpc equally into each of the five channels. Each channel is separately powered and engineered. So any two channels will still be 100 wpc. If you only use 2 of the 5 channels, the 2 channels will not become something like 150 or 200 wpc channels.

Rotels ratings are typically conservative. My 1095 was about 15% higher in actual output compared to the rated specs.

If you are looking at getting more power for a set of speakers, like the mains, then the way to do it is by getting a more powerful amp.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• jorgen68
          • Jun 2009

i was just thinking if the power supply is able to deliver 5x100wpc it must be more wen you only use 2ch.But judging by your answer that aint so,i was wrong.thank you for your help Jorgen

Comment

• htsteve
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

jorgen68,

In theory, what you say makes some sense. Only using 2 channels means more power for each. The problem lies with the power delivery for each channel. The design and parts for a 100 watt channel are fixed. Trying to push through more power through a defined area will not work. The cost of parts and engineering to deliver more power would push the cost (and price) up of the amp. I believe that's one reason why the 'high end' amps like Classe, Mac, Krell, etc. cost so much more. Their power delivery is awesome.

Since a company like Rotel makes several choices in 2 channels amps, I can see why they would have a 'fixed' 100 wpc multi-channel amp.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"