Rotel 976 vs. Rotel 980 vs. Rotel 985 ? Need Help!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • excetara2
    • Apr 2006

Rotel 976 vs. Rotel 980 vs. Rotel 985 ? Need Help!!

Basically I am deciding to go with a newer Rotel the 976 which has digital inputs, which I need. This is for a 2ch stereo system only conserned with sq. Or I am going to go with a Rotel 980 and get a Marantz DP870 which is there digital processor to use as a DAC into the 980. I am wondering which will sound better. My last option which is a little more expensive than both of these is to get the Rotel 985. I am conserned with 2ch music especially fed through a coaxial input (needed for from my computer). Also from other stereo sources. Any opinions would help. Thanks.
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Welcome to the Forum!
    Are you saying that you are going to us your computer for your music source?
    If so, I’m not very familiar with this type of set-up. I assume you need a pre/pro to process the digital source. If this is the case, I would recommend the 976 at the very least and for $150-$200 more in the used market, maybe the RSP-1066. But all these units have multi channel video processing too.

If all your source material is on a hard drive, there are units like the Cambridge Audio 640H Music Server that do this. You may find similar units on the used market. If you are only concerned with 2-ch SQ, I think that might be the way to go.

Otherwise, burn your music, get a CDp with a decent DAC, and go with a used 2-ch pre-amp unit. Rotel, among others, are highly regarded for their 2-ch SQ.

The rest of the gang will have more/better advise, I’m sure.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• gd
      • Jan 2003

If your only digital source is your computer, you might consider a good quality soundcard for about $100-200, and spend your money on the best analog stereo pre you can afford... that's assuming you're talking strictly music / PCM.

Haven't gone there yet myself, but M-Audio is said to make good ones:
      Acclaimed audio interfaces, studio monitors, and keyboard controllers

Acclaimed audio interfaces, studio monitors, and keyboard controllers
      greg (gd to you)
      Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
      production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• excetara2
        • Apr 2006

What are some good 2ch pre-amp units? Let me know. Thanks a lot.

Comment

• gd
          • Jan 2003

Lots of choices in analog pre's.

Got a budget?... would you consider tubes?... what makes up most of your music listening?... must the pre include phono inputs? - MM? - MC?

Meanwhile, I'd be remiss not to suggest Rotel in the Rotel forum, and they do make seriously good pre's... I've used a 900-series Rotel integrated amp in my 2-ch for over 12 yrs, and it won't be going anywhere soon.
          greg (gd to you)

Frank Zappa

Comment

• excetara2
            • Apr 2006

k. I'll look into that. people that have used the computer as an output say the best way is to use a digital out and a DAC. I don't have the money to buy a nice DAC and a pre/pro then amp. I wanted to get a pre/pro with a pretty nice DAC. I have heard the 985's is better than the 976. I was leaning towards the 980 with marantz. This I can get for about 200 cheaper than the 985 rotel.

Comment

• excetara2
              • Apr 2006

looking into DAC's. Know anyhting about them.

Comment

• gd
                • Jan 2003

Before talking about DACs...

Is the computer your only digital music source?... lossy downloads or ripped CDs / FLACs at full resolution?... strictly 2-channel?

Outboard DACs are not widely used, so there are relatively few reviews... and not too many retailers to demo them... the best way to educate yourself on DACs is to get forum feedback... search DAC here and you'll find a lot on the Benchmark DAC1, a very popular unit @ $1K... more general DAC discussion can be found on Audio Asylum.

But ultimately you have to jump in, buy one, and determine for yourself if it sounds good... there is a little more ri$k with a DAC, as you're judging subjective SQ.

Current popular makes include Benchmark, Musical Fidelity, Perpetual Technology, Bel Canto, Ack! dAck!... you can spend anywhere from $400 to tens of thousands... I've bought older, used DACs (Audio Alchemy, EAD) from Audiogon with excellent results.
                greg (gd to you)

Frank Zappa

Comment

• wkhanna
                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by gd
                  Ack! dAck!...
                  LOL!!!!!

Is that the new insurance you can get for your DAC ????
                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• burzel2
                    • Apr 2006

excetara2,
                    I use my computer to store and play my entire CD collection. Using a Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card I connect both digital and analog cables to my reciever. Sound quality is surprisingly good. I ripped everything to .wav files. The Audigy 2 sound card is also capable of DVD-A. If you have any interest in DVD-A or SACD I would recomend the 976. If I'm not mistaken the 985 does not have 5.1 analog inputs. I own the 976 now and use it for a stereo preamp (the rear channels don't work with a digital input). So basically my 976 would be perfect for you too!
                    Rotel RSP-1066, Rotel RB-981, Rotel RB-985, Denon DVD-1920, HTPC, Paradigm Studio 60 V.4, Paradigm Studio 20 V.4

Comment

• gd
                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by wkhanna
                      Is that the new insurance you can get for your DAC ????
                      Maybe they shoulda named it Daffy dAck!... :lol:
                      greg (gd to you)

Frank Zappa

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"