X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jorgen68
    • Jun 2009

rb 985

hello i got 3 questions 1\every other cheap surround receiver got over a 100 watts and the some things have been developed since the rb 985 came but can their built in amps compete with the rb 985?and if so in what price range? 2\i am thinking about adding a rb990bx for improved 2channel and possibility of 7 channel.do you know if the rb 990bx will improve the sound quality much compared to the 985 amp,or can i rest easy with my 985. 3\and are the 990bx still a good buy though i rater old? :B
  • eelco74
    • Dec 2002

Most, not even so cheap receivers, are rated at about 100 watts a channel. But mostly at 6 ohms and not all channels driven. Rotel amps specs are at 8 ohms all channels driven.

I own the RB-985KMII and a RB-991. I formerly used it with a Denon 3803 and it was a great improvement over the 3803 internal amps. I now use a RSP-1098. The 991 has way more headroom and can drive difficult speakers with low impedance.

The 985 and 991/990 are very capable amps even at an older age. The 990 is a better Stereo amp than the 985, but as a pair a great combination.
    Last edited by eelco74; 10 June 2009, 09:58 Wednesday.
    Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
    Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
    Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

jorgen68,

Let me try to answer your questions.

1) Dedicated amp in almost all instances, are better than a recievers amps. This is expecially true if regular, everyday recievers. The power supplies tend to be bigger and better in amps than in receivers. There are better parts and design in an external amp. Also, the power ratings on receivers can be a bit misleading. If it is a 100 wpc unit, it can do 100 watts per channel, but not all 5 or 7 channels at once, and often with higher distortion. With an amp like Rotel, the ratings are for all channels driven at once, with low distortion.

To get a reciever that can compete with the 985, you will need to spend a good amount of money, getting a larger, expensive receiver.

A well built amp can last years and provide excellent performance.

2) What is it about two channel that you want to improve? Often, getting a good stereo amp, even in a full HT setting, will improve your 2 channel performance, as well as HT. I've done this twice. I currently have a multichannel amp that drives the center and rears and a 2 channel amp driving my mains. This is excellent all the way around, especially for improved 2 channel. My 2 channel amp improved bass, soundstage and detail.

3) A good rated two channel amp, even if older, can be an excellent addition to a system. I might recommend a used Rotel 1080 2 channel amp (200 watts X 2). It can drive almost anything very well and very cleanly.

Do you have a budget you are planning?

Hope this helps.

Comment

• jorgen68
        • Jun 2009

thank you for your help . i think i am gonna keep my rb 985.i am very pleased with it.i have 2 nht 1.5 as front speakers in my set up,so you are convinced that adding a 990bx or a more recent model will make huge difference to my system in 2channel against the 985?what improvements can i expect,if you compare these two amps?

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"