X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slilpkid
    • Feb 2004

5 channel/2 channel amp

Have a terrific system running and I love my gear. I have Rotel RSP-1066 pre/pro, RMB 1075 amp, B&W CDM7NT's Front L/R, CDMCNT center, ASWCDM sub, CDM1NT L/R rear on stands. I also have a CD and DVD player. This is the set up I have in the den. We put our old, inexpensive, bookshelf speakers in the living room (they were my wife's speakers, Interaudio). There is an infrared with a volume control knob on the wall in the living room.

My audio guy tells me I need to get a 2-channel amp, since I am running 5 channels in the den and all i have is the RMB-1075. (I do have the 22 year old Toshiba receiver for the speakers that still works). He was thinking of an inexpensive Rotel 50 or 75 watt amp for the den. However, I came up with an idea. How about a 200watt 2-channel amp to power the CDM7NT front speakers, that I can use with just music and then use the 2-channel plus 3 of the 1075's channels (at 120watts) for the center, sub, and rears when I am watching dvd's. Essentially then in 5 channel mode in the den, I would be running 2 amps, one at 200 watts that power the 7NT's, and one at 120watts to power the remainder of the CDMNT speakers. The other two channels of the 1075 could be used to power the speakers in the living room. Three questions: 1. Does this setup make sense; 2. Is it worth it to upgrade to a 2-channel stereo amp for the 7-NT's for my music listening. Will I notice a difference in sound quality, detail, etc, or is it just throwing money away that I should be using for an SACD player? and, if it does make sense 3. Which 2-channel amp would you recommend. Thanks.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Welcome Joel

1-Absolutely! :P I hope to add a 2-channel amp to my system in the years to come too

2-Yes. Some of the guys who've actually done this would probably be able to better describe the specific benefits. I'm sure they'll be along shortly Not to say you shouldn't also get a DVD-A/SACD player too (Though you may want to wait for SACD2 spec to appear in players)

3- Easy... the 1080!

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Slilpkid,

You're on the right track with your thinking. With your quality B&W speakers you'll really benefit from a RB-1080 for stereo listening. I have the RBM-1075 and RB-1080 set-up myself and I'd never go back!

Some threads that will help:
        Thread 1 (fellow B&W owner)
        Thread 2

And a review:
        Stereophile

The RB-1080 is an extremely good amp for the money - you can get better sound for lots more $ - but the match with the B&W speakers is excellent.

PS - If you decide to make the move:
        1) Make sure you get the new model (the one with dual WBT speaker binding posts - its sounds better and has a improved ground plain.
        2) Get good interconnects from the CD / DVD to the pre-pro and the pre-pro to the Amp - it makes ALL the difference!

PPS - You would also then be very well set-up to enter the world of 6.1 or 7.1 sound should your room allow space for 1 or 2 rear centre speakers! Again for me (in my wide room) this makes as much difference as having a centre channel in the front - now I have it I'd never go back to 5.1.

Geoff Costello

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"