X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

6 or 7 channel Amp recommendations?

As I've been reading people's posts on their new pre-pros, I've been researching my eventual move to separates myself. Although I can't afford to upgrade yet, I'd like to be prepared for when I can. Although I've been reading posts on pre-pros, I've come to realize I really should be researching amps first, since I'll want to get those before I get into a pre-pro, as I can use amps with a receiver, but I can't use a pre-pro without amps! (Well I could use the receiver's amp section with a pre-pro, but it wouldn't be a worthwhile upgrade path).

As I have a 6.1 system at present (Outlaw 1050), I'll be wanting at least 6 channels when I upgrade. 7 channels would give me future upgradability, but I only have 6 speakers so this isn't as important.

I'm thinking I'll want something with at least 120-150 watts per channel. I would consider the Outlaw 770 as the "ultimate" amp for me, but it would also be a bit of overkill. In order to save money, I would rather consider something a little scaled back, and probably pre-owned as well, and there won't be many 770s on the used market at this point. The other amp I've considered is the ATI 1506.

I just checked the Rotel site, since my primary pre-pro choice right now would be the Rotel RSP-1066, but the only 6 channel amp they have is the RMP1066 (interesting the similarity of the model #s), but it's only 60 wpc. Their 5 channel amps look good though.

BTW, I don't have room in my rack for multiple amps, so a 5 channel + a separate 2 channel amp is not an option, until I get into a bigger house.

Any other recommendations for amps? Do some brands of amps sound "better" or different than others (I'm sure they do)?

I would like to consider the amp a "one time" purchase, as in once I have them I'll be keeping them for a long time. Amps don't wear out or become obsolete, at least as long as I have enough channels, and of course by the time I need more channels I'll have room for more amps!

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

So, your powering your speakers now with a receiver. What speakers? Do they tend to the bright side? Mellow? Just right? Buying an amp, really shouldn't be an autocratic process. Rather, it should take into consideration the overall tonality needed for the speakers, and tend to that side. There is no good reason to mate the amp and pre-pro by brand of course.

Rotel tends to be a little warm sounding. ATI, maybe tends to the bright side. (man, don't hear much on those now!). How about Aragon, any 5 channel amps? How about something like the Rotel or Aragon 5 channel, and add a Marantz monoblock for channel 6?

Just ideas.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

I have Platinum Audio speakers, a company that was less than 2 miles from my house but unfortunately went out of business 3 years ago. They're great speakers, but in terms of tonality, a bit on the bright side. But part of that could be due to the Outlaw receiver. When I use analog bypass to play CDs it sounds a lot smoother than using the Outlaw DACs, so I wonder how much of the brightness is the speakers and how much is the receiver. I've driven these speakers with three different receivers (a Yamaha, an old Sony and the Outlaw) and I can definitely hear the difference between receivers. That's why I want a "good" amp.

Would amps have more or less of an impact on brightness than a pre-pro? For example, if I want a warmer sound, should I lean toward a warmer pre-pro or warmer amps, or both? Would a warmer pre-pro offset brighter amps?

Would a Marantz monoblock mate well with a Rotel or Aragon (or ATI or Outlaw for that matter) 5 channel amp? Or would it really matter since it would be a rear center channel? As I mentioned I have limited "amp space" right now so I would rather have all my channels in a single box if possible. Of course if I wait until the next house to upgrade to separates this won't be an issue, but that's still several years away.

I'm not familiar with a lot of amp brands so that's why I looked at ATI and Rotel initially. I just thought of B&K too. I'm sure there's a gazillion others out there too. So many choices, but then that's what this forum is for!

My HT Site

Comment

• efarstad
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2001

Kev: Since I'm moving from receiver to separates I thought I'd chime in. As you know I'm getting the Rotel 1066 which they say is "warm." That being said, all my speakers tend to be very warm to neutral as well...all Energy's (except my Axiom QS8's, but they're a close match to Energy's "sound"). Well a while back I came upon this deal to get a 5x150 amp for $450 bucks. I had not heard of it, AMC 2N100-5, but thought for $450 I could turn around and sell it and probably make money since list is $1400. They're a little known company, mainly an OEM for many electronic companies out there, but they also produce their own line of gear. You can check them out at www.amchome.com.

Needless to say, I'm using those five channels to run my front soundstage and two side channels and recently purchased AMC's 2100 Stereo amp (100x2) to run my two back center channels...which I picked up for $180. So for $630 I have all the amplification I need for 7.1. I hooked the amps up to my Martin Logans to see how they handled that difficult load and was pleasantly surprised. Do they have the same detail and smoothness as my Musical Fidelity? No, but they were very dynamic and punchy...something I want for HT. Are there better amps out there then AMC's? YOU BET...but for me just getting started into separates, for $630 I'm a happy camper.

I'd love to go buy Aragon, Rotel, or Bryston, and maybe I will someday...but for HT I just want dynamic, clear, loud sound...and the AMC's fit my bill nicely. AMC's designer used to design NAD gear that is why there is a remarkable resemblance. AMC is not very popular over here in the states but that is because they do literally NO advertising...their main money maker is OEM...their gear is their play money (I know this because I've talked to the lead sale's rep many times).

Anyway...enough of my banter...to recap:

Rotel = warm (Will verify when I get it)
        Energy = warm/neutral
        AMC amps = I'd say brighter side of things

So to me the combo plays out nicely...remember this is all my opinion! But in all reality it was the $630 for 7 channels of amplification that spoke to me the loudest! Oh, that was all NEW IN BOX prices too.

Just so you know, I don't want anyone thinking I'm "bragging" about how much things costs, rather I want to show Kevin and others that HT can be found at amazing prices if you're willing to go without the "name brand" stuff.

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
        E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
        E-Cinema

Comment

• SiliGoose
          • Aug 2000

efarstad,

Wow...that's some good shopping on your part. Great deals.

I just made the move from receiver to separates and am more happy than I expected to be. There is no comparison between the sound I used to get to what I'm getting now. In my case the upgrade was that dramatic (and I had a pretty good receiver, IMO).

The Outlaw amps are sourced by ATI so if you don't want to add brightness to your system you might want to shy away from the 770 (even though it is a good deal).

I went with the Sherwood Newcastle AM-9080. Not exactly the Mercedes-Benz of the audio industry but it's been a phenomenal performer for me. It warmed up my system very nicely. Eventually I plan on adding a 2-channel amp for the mains.

I think you'll find several new 7-channel amps in the coming months. Sherwood has one coming this September that is 110x7 and should be in the price range of the Outlaw 770 (if not less). Here's a link http://www.sherwoodusa.com/2002produ...HTML/A958.html

Used 7-channel amps will be rare for a little while yet.

-Sili
          www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• efarstad
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2001

Sili is right, the Sherwood is a nice little amp. I seriously had my hand on the buy button until the AMC deal fell on my lap. You can find those used too at very good prices, for instance: http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...ult&1027941539 Just keep looking and they're even better deals out there.

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
            E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
            E-Cinema

Comment

• Kevin P
              • Aug 2000

Any other recommendations? I just read on HTT of someone who added Adcom amps to his system and of the improvement they made over using his Marantz receiver to drive his speakers. How are Adcoms in terms of tonal quality?

Actually, my HT buddy at work has Adcom and B&K amps in his system, and I've heard them, they sound great and he has a very warm sounding system, not harsh at all. He uses older A/D/S speakers. I'll have to get his impressions.

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• efarstad
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jun 2001

For what it's worth, If I didn't go AMC, and couldn't find a good deal on the Sherwood, I would have gone Adcom. They are known for high quality and lasting products...and you can DEFINATELY find good priced used ones!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                E-Cinema

Comment

• Ricky
                  • Aug 2000

For a single 6 channel amp, the parasound 1206 and 806 amps are great values at ~ $750 and ~$400 used on ebay and audiogon. They are bridgeable, and later you can always add a 2 channel parasound for your mains. www.parasound.com (go to the vintage products and owners manuals).

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

Rotel amps tend to the warm side as well. I like a Parasound amp, and have ran my 1500A with my mains before. Not as transparent as my Proceed, but nowhere near the money either! Good bass punch, decent highs. Not quite as sweet a mids, and the transparency at the top, are the major compromises.

Parasound fairly nuetral to warm.

Lex
                    Doug
                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"