X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BW4me
    • Nov 2005

2CH Pure Audio on RSX-1067

I'm new to Rotel so I'm still getting used to all the features on the used RSX-1067 I just bought. I'm using it with my B&W speakers for home theater and music along with an Integra DVD player (for both music and movies at this point).

I can't figure out how to play music with just 2CH stereo. My previous unit had an option for just pure audio stereo. When I select the 2CH on the Rotel I'm getting bass through my sub, which I don't want. I just want to use the purest audio setting there is for music listening. The display shows 2CH PCM, which I don't understand what PCM is.

Does anyone know how I can set this up?

Steve
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

PCM stands for Pulse Code Modulation. That is a digital signal that would be on a CD for instance. There is a 2CH BYPASS that will give you only left and right channels with no subwoofer. What is the source you are using and how do you have it connected?

Eric

Comment

• BW4me
      • Nov 2005

Eric

I'm using an Integra DPS 5.5 DVD player for both music and movies. I have it connected to the video 2 component in on the Rotel as suggested in the set up. I'm using optical for the audio.

If I'm understanding the manual correctly it looks like I would need to use analog hook up to bypass the sub for pure stereo audio.

But maybe I'm already getting the best audio the way it is now. I just don't prefer having a sub with my two front speakers. If I just turned off the sub manually would I still be getting the full audio signal to my front speakers?

Thanks for the help!

Comment

• hifiguymi
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2007

As you found out, you can hook the analog cable from the DVD player and listen to it with the 2CH BYPASS. If you like the overall sound of the Rotel better and would prefer to listen to its DACs without the sub here is what you do. In the speaker set up menu, if you have the front speakers set to small, go to the advanced speaker set up and select Large under MUSIC. Then go into the subwoofer menu and set MUSIC to Off. That should do what you are after.

Eric

Comment

• BW4me
          • Nov 2005

I'm assuming optical connection would make for the best audio rather than analog. Is that correct? Or maybe I'm wrong. I guess what I'm looking for is the cleanest sound and not bass overload from a sub.

My current speaker setting is large already, so I guess this means a full audio signal is being sent to the fronts. So I'll turn off the sub setting as you suggest to compare.

By the way, what is DAC? And does the Rotel receiver color the sound much? I've gotten the impression from others that they don't.

Thanks again.

Steve

Comment

• hifiguymi
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2007

DAC stands for Digital to Analog Converter. Both components, the DVD player and receiver, have them. They do just what their name says, change digital information into an analog signal.

As to whether or not an optical connection will sound better than an analog one, you will have to listen for yourself and find out. Hook up an good pair of analog cables and listen to the receiver in 2CH BYPASS and then do the set up I suggested and listen to the receiver in 2CH PCM and see which one sounds better.

There is no right or wrong, just personal preference.

Eric

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"