X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saltyoke
    • Apr 2009

RSP 1570 questions

Hi Guys.
    Greetings from South Africa. I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I have the RSP 1570 on demo. i have been building up my sytem over the last 2 years and currently have

Fronts : 803ds
    Centre : HTM7 (driven by the rb 1091!)
    Rears : 705's (my old fronts)
    RB 1092
    RB 1091
    Old Panosonic 100rms driving the rears
    Sub - an old kenwood

My wish list

HTM2d
    RB 1080 for the rears

I use my PS3 to play source material. I am awaiting latest firmware upgrade from rotel before i commit to buying . Apologies for all the questions ( on a steep learning curve) The RSP displays 'DD downmix 48k" when playing music DVD's 5.1 (most of my listening) does that mean i am not getting the best quality out of my system? Is the PS3 an acceptable player ie) will i get a huge improvement from a dedicated BD player? Will the 1091 hurt my HTM7? Will the 1080 be an acceptable match for the 1091/1092 (the one being analogue , the other '"digital")

This sytem is really revealing of the source material. Which is a two edged sword! The video image is a slightly different from the RSP depending on the source BD/satellite etc Anyone else had this problem? i am hoping firmware upgrade will sort this out.

Thanks in advance
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

1. You can only get the new HD audio formats via HDMI, so yes, you're missing out.
    2. If your listening levels are not too extreme, your HTM7 should survive!
    3. It's not generally a good idea to mix a/b and d amps due to their slightly different characteristics.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• kmcheng
      • Jan 2008

Connect the PS3 to the demo 1570 via HDMI. As mjb says, that would be the only way you can utilize the HD audio capabilities of the PS3.

Assuming you have done that, there are a few more things to check:

1) Check your sound/audio setting in the PS3 settings menu. Make sure you check all the boxes for up to 192k. Save this setting.
      2) Check also in the PS3 sound/audio setting that you are outputing muliple-channel PCM via HDMI. (You should not select bit-streaming.) Save this setting.
      3) In the title menu of whatever blu-ray disc that you are playing, select the HD sound tracks.

Comment

• saltyoke
        • Apr 2009

Thanks for the replies guys

I have changed Rotel/PS3 settings to channel audio over HDMI (was on optical). No Joy - I cannot get the centre channel to work. Centre channel only comes on on stereo output and Rotel set to PCM 3 Stereo. PS3 is confirms output as DD 5.1 or dts or dd true hd but rotel cannot see it on bitstream or Linear PCM

My PS3 does not give me the option of multi channel PCM only linear PCM or bitstream (funny thing the BD audio output settings on the ps3 are in the video settings menu not in the audio settings) I have checked all boxes in the audio output on the PS3 right up to 197k .

Am i missing something or is this a firmware issue?

Comment

• kmcheng
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by saltyoke
          Thanks for the replies guys

I have changed Rotel/PS3 settings to channel audio over HDMI (was on optical). No Joy - I cannot get the centre channel to work. Centre channel only comes on on stereo output and Rotel set to PCM 3 Stereo. PS3 is confirms output as DD 5.1 or dts or dd true hd but rotel cannot see it on bitstream or Linear PCM

My PS3 does not give me the option of multi channel PCM only linear PCM or bitstream (funny thing the BD audio output settings on the ps3 are in the video settings menu not in the audio settings) I have checked all boxes in the audio output on the PS3 right up to 197k .

Am i missing something or is this a firmware issue?
          Linear PCM is what I am referring to. Your current PS3 settings should be fine.

On the Rotel, I do not think PCM 3 sterero is right. On my Rotel 1069, I select Dolby Cinema something. (Sorry I am not in front of my gears right now.) Also check in the Rotel's speaker settings that you did not accidentally tell the processor that you do not have a center channel.

What does your front panel on your Rotel say about the signal it is getting from the PS3? My 1069 would say something like Multi-channel PCM 48K or Multi-channel PCM 96K or something like that.

I suggest that you do your tests with a regular DVD (not Blu-ray) and get your center channel working before you deal with the HD audio settings.

Comment

• saltyoke
            • Apr 2009

Thanks for the suggestions

My centre speaker is working on PCM 3 stereo so the rotel knows its there. I have the same problem with DVD's as with BD. Rotel shows DD downmix(whatever that means) 48k for both DVD's and BD.

Funny thing the centre channel did not work (on muti channel) when i originally got the machine on demo. I then stumbled accross the Audio Linear PCM/Bitstream setting in th PS3 Video menu and changed it from PCM to bitstram and the centre channel started working. This was over optical ouput. I then changed it to HDMI as per the suggestions above (an tried all the various combination settings) and it stopped working. I then decided to change back to Optical output and now am back to my original problem even when selecting bitstream. I have tried various combinations to get it working but without success.

It has crossed my mind that it may also be a handshaking issue between the
            PS3 and rotel and may need to upgrade Ps3 software as well.

My supplier has told me that the new Firmware version will be out in SA shortly . if that does not sort out the problem's or i am shown where i am going wrong - im afraid the rotel is going back to the dealers.

Comment

• mjb
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

My supplier has told me that the new Firmware version will be out in SA shortly . if that does not sort out the problem's or i am shown where i am going wrong - im afraid the rotel is going back to the dealers.
              I'd be inclined to try the 1570 with a different BlueRay player first.
              - Mike

Main System:
              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
              Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• WelshOne
                • Jan 2009

I can tell you without doubt that the PS3 is dull and lifeless for HD audio compared to a high end BD player.

I had the PS3 and a denon 2500 on loan for 2 weeks, and did constant back to back testing/blind testing/with non biased friends, the denon always came out on top.

You could tell the denon sounded better within seconds of the film playing.

I now have the 3800 and havent looked back.

The PS3 can only decode HD audio on board, and send LPCM. The denon you can bitstream and let the rotel do the business.

Please get a demo with a decent BD player, you will never look back.

You'd be doing the 1570 an unjustice using a PS3. I will try and find the review I posted on a forum and paste it here if it helps.

Comment

• WelshOne
                  • Jan 2009

Old post copied and paste here from Cyrusunofficial.

Once again, my own simple non technical opinion of what I thought.....

" Ok, after a long night of fosters scuba and relentless testing, my 'impartial mate' and I concluded the following....(apologies for the lack of audiophile vocabulary)
                  Im not going to claim to be an expert, far from it, but I have a good pair of eyes and ears and a 2nd opinion helping me..........
                  Test DVD's:
                  Black Hawk Down SD and BD
                  Master and Commander SD and BD
                  Pirates of the Caribbean x2 copies of SD version
                  Earth BD
                  (NOTE:everything was tested via plain 5.1 DD/DTS at this point, and with PS3)
                  The Rotel processor has superior processing to Cyrus AV8 (no surprise there) - Dialogue crisper, steering more involving. (although this was using the Rotel 5x250 amp?) No shame on the AV8, I still think it awesome value for money and considoring todays 2nd hand prices.
                  The Rotel amp appeared to have a smoother sound to the nads, but would play louder with less distortion, also very transparent.
                  The two combined using the PS3 appeared to give a slightly brighter sound than the AV8 and nads, but everything appeared more crisp and cleaner sounding than the old set up.
                  At this point we concluded the rotel set up was superior to my current set up
                  Onto PQ comparing PS3 and Denon 2500BD
                  Earth BD - PS3 looked fantastic, my mate (ash) couldnt think it could be bettered, I agreed and felt rather nervous for the denon. Swithing to the denon the differences became apparent.
                  Chapter 10, where the Shark jumps out of the water, the denon produced deeper blacks, the ocean looked far colder(temp wise), detailed, the foam/water spray would sparkle and you could see the bubbles in the foam of the splash, the PS3 would be more of a mass of white spray?
                  Pirates - x2 copies of SD version (one in PS3, one in Denon, same chapter, swithing HDMI leads)- upscaling - PS3 looked good, not disapointing at all to us, switch to Denon, again blacks were deeper, slight more detail than PS3, panning also appeared smoother, although we couldnt always agree
                  Again, we concluded the Denon was superior to the PS3, something which really shocked me, especially as the Rotel was in charge of the overall upscaling to the pioneer.
                  Onto sound qaulity vs PS3, still plain 5.1/ DD/DTS
                  Master and Commander - SD - DTS - The sound from the PS3 sounded good, (although I have always thought that the cyrus DVD6 sounded better through the AV8 than the PS3 did?) I have been use to this 'sound' since early summer, but always felt better could be gained, esp coming from the DVD6)
                  Switch to the denon, what a startling difference, and I mean startling. This is the best way we could describe the differences - the PS3 sounded as if the front x3 speakers were 3m further away from us, and there was very little going on in the rears. The denon sounded like the front x3 were 1m closer! Massive detail in the rears, candles flickering, floorboards creaking, I could go on and on.....When the opening scene kicked in, I have NEVER heard my system sound this good, we both couldnt stop smiling and were in awe. But, this was still plain 5.1 DTS.
                  Switch to the BD version of master and commander, we both honestly could not see this being bettered, it couldnt???? The BD version was output in DTS Master Audio, and we sat back and listened - we both thought there was a touch more detail, again, greater levels of floorboards creaking, crisper sound. Now, when the ship battle began, we felt it wasnt as loud or involving as the DTS version, but what we appeared to lose in slam we gained in control, imaging, we could now hear the footsteps above our heads and around the room, as opposed to LR/FR/RL etc etc. I wish I had the vocabulary to describe the differences, but they were there.
                  To conclude on the kit:
                  Rotel processor - great piece of kit - built well - superb 2ch bypass pre amp.
                  Crap remote, IR sensor poor, remote has to be pressed right in front of IR to work. Only one HDMI output.
                  Rotel AMP - Awesome value for money, more than happy with its performance and drives the B&W's well, they work very well with each other. Poor set up for the potential to biamp?
                  Denon 2500 - literally night and day difference to PS3 for audio. Tried blind testing with each other, but we could tell within seconds of the film showing. Slooooooooow to operate, remote not great. Easy to set up, plug and play. Upscaling was better, but not night and day. Would have been happy with PS3 albeit the sound difference.
                  On the whole, very happy with the equipment, so happy ive just come back from audio excellence after paying the deposit. I have read online in many places, and via the dealer that prices are to rocket dut to the $ vs £. B&W, rotel, denon etc and more.
                  I did not go for the denon 2500, because, I went for the denon 3800 Took a gamble as ive never seen it/heard it, and it cost me approx £600 extra, but it has better upscaling again against the 2500, and im happier with this decision.
                  I ended up spending just over £4k on the whole, saving around £770 with some extra chord HDMI cabling and a few bits and pieces thrown in.
                  Thanks again for the advice and suggestions. i'm sure there are other options I could have looked at, but this kit suited me performance and budget wise, but most importantly, it made me smile makes me happy!"

Comment

• kmcheng
                    • Jan 2008

Thanks for the suggestions

My centre speaker is working on PCM 3 stereo so the rotel knows its there. I have the same problem with DVD's as with BD. Rotel shows DD downmix(whatever that means) 48k for both DVD's and BD.

Funny thing the centre channel did not work (on muti channel) when i originally got the machine on demo. I then stumbled accross the Audio Linear PCM/Bitstream setting in th PS3 Video menu and changed it from PCM to bitstram and the centre channel started working. This was over optical ouput. I then changed it to HDMI as per the suggestions above (an tried all the various combination settings) and it stopped working. I then decided to change back to Optical output and now am back to my original problem even when selecting bitstream. I have tried various combinations to get it working but without success.

It has crossed my mind that it may also be a handshaking issue between the
                    PS3 and rotel and may need to upgrade Ps3 software as well.

If you have never updated your PS3, then it probably cannot decode the HD audio tracks. The decoding capability was not native to the PS3 and was added via a firmware release. Without that firmware, the PS3 will down-convert the HD audio tracks.

The PS3 cannot bitstream the HD audio tracks due to limitations of HDMI 1.1 (and the optical cable). The PS3 will down convert the HD audio track to standard lossy tracks at 48K when it is asked to bitstream. That is probably why you see "DD Downmix".

By the way, when you switch cables, you also need to explicitly tell the PS3 that you want to output sound using the HDMI cable vs. the optical cable. That option is buried in one of the sound settings.

Assuming you already try all of that, I really do not know what else to suggest. I will readily admit that Rotel processor + PS3 is not exactly easy to set up. It took me quite a while to figure things out. I also will not dispute that other Blu-ray players may be better than the PS3. However, given that you already have these two pieces in your possession, you should be able to optimize their performance.

Comment

• saltyoke
                      • Apr 2009

Thanks once again.

I have updated the PS3 firmware recently but believe there is a further upgrade - so am keeping my fingers crossed. From what you are saying above i assume the PS3 is 1.1 and not 1.3?

I will ask my dealer for a BD player as a demo as i am really keen to see/hear the 1570 in full flight! One thing i can say is that the pure stereo capabilities of the machine was a revelation ( Compared to the RC1082) In my personal opinion I think its better.

Comment

• maxwebster
                        • Mar 2009

If you have any SACD hypbrids kicking around, especially MC, you will find that the PS3->1570 is a superb SACD combo )

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"