X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tomahawk
    • Mar 2010

PS3 + RSP-1570 and Master audio?

Hi.

I have connected my PS3 with HDMI to my Rotel RSP-1570.
    The PS3 sound settings are set (Settings->Sound setting->Audio Output Settings ->HDMI-Automatic->Setting List, and all options are ticked off).

When playing a Blu-ray movie with DTS-HD Master audio etc., the Rotel displays ‘Multi Channel 48K’.

The thing I can’t figure out is does the PS3 or the Rotel handle the sound processing?
    Do I get the DTS Master audio into my Rotel or not,-do my system actually play the Master audio?

Should the PS3 or the Rotel (and what would the display say) decode the Master audio, and how do I set the system up the best way?

Please advise, Tom
    System:
    Rotel RSP-1570 Surround Processor/Preamplifier, Rotel RMB-1575 5-channel power amplifier
    Linn Sneaky DS, Synology DS410 NAS
    Anthony Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Reference 3.1s, Anthony Gallo Acoustics Reference Strada Center, Anthony Gallo Acoustics A'Diva Tis
  • Opus007
    • Nov 2007

If you have the Fat ps3 it will have to do the decoding in the ps3 and the rotel will show multi channel.If you have the ps3 slim it will send the DTS-HD Master audio etc as is and the Rotel 1570 will do the decoding.You will have to set what to output in the PS3.Only the ps3 slim is capable of sending the audio in its compressed form to the 1570 which is capable of decoding all the new codecs.
    Hope this helps.
    Shaun

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

It depends on which PS3 you have. If you have the newer slim PS3 then you can either have it bitstream the Dolby TrueHD or dtsHD Master Audio or decode it internally. With the older, larger PS3 the only option is to have the PS3 do the decoding. I've not used a slim PS3 and don't know if the audio settings are different. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

With all of that said, theoretically it shouldn't matter where the decoding takes place and if the info bar on the PS3 says it's playing an HD format you should be fine. The Rotel will display "MULTI CHANNEL" when the player is doing the decoding.

Eric

It looks like Shaun beat me to the reply.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"