X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ray5
    • Dec 2008

Rotel and Harmony

Hi! Anyone has any experience with this remote. I am upgrading my HT with B&W 802D speakers and Rotel electronics(1570,1091,1092). Let me know your experience. Thanks.
    Ray
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

works fine for me. i had a rsx 1058 and now have a rc-1082, also a rcd 1072. as far as the amps go you use the 12v trigger on the 1570
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• june
      • Feb 2005

no issues with my harmony remote and rotel.
      June
      "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• ray5
        • Dec 2008

Thanks. Can you tell me what is the role of the 12v trigger? How do you use them? There are 6 outputs in the back panel of the 1570, does that mean 6 other units can be connected? Please educate!
        Ray

Comment

• TommyV
          • Feb 2007

They trigger your other components to come on like your amp. Even some source products have it like CD and DVD players.

Comment

• ray5
            • Dec 2008

Thanks.

Comment

• Industrial
              • Mar 2009

Yep, no problem using my Harmony ONE Remote with my RSP-1570. Only took me a couple of minutes to setup.

Comment

• ray5
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Industrial
                Yep, no problem using my Harmony ONE Remote with my RSP-1570. Only took me a couple of minutes to setup.
                Thanks. I am not certain about the 890, the Harmony one has some tremendous reviews? Only thing is the RF capability. I don't necessarily need it now but the future. That's the reason I am thinking of the 890. What do you think.
                Ray

Comment

• TommyV
                  • Feb 2007

The 890 is what I use. I love it.

Comment

• ray5
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by TommyV
                    The 890 is what I use. I love it.
                    Great. How was the programming? Are you using the RF? Also there are some reports about the cradle not charging well or easily moves while in the cradle and interrupts the charging process? Thanks,
                    Ray

Comment

• Industrial
                      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by ray5
                      Thanks. I am not certain about the 890, the Harmony one has some tremendous reviews? Only thing is the RF capability. I don't necessarily need it now but the future. That's the reason I am thinking of the 890. What do you think.
                      Ray
                      I didn't have the option of the 890 where I got mine. RF would be really nice as I have back lighting behind my TV controlled via RF remote. I didn't look too much into the 890 and if it does control RF and you don't mind the price difference I would go with the 890. I would prefer it over the clunky two handed 1000 style remote. Another reason I got the ONE was because I spotted a sale and got it at 50% off the list price. Another option is to get the ONE now and when more and more things go RF by then the 890 might be much cheaper.

The ONE cradle is nice, just slips right into place perfectly. It has never once messed up.

Comment

• kmcheng
                        • Jan 2008

Great. How was the programming? Are you using the RF? Also there are some reports about the cradle not charging well or easily moves while in the cradle and interrupts the charging process? Thanks,
                        Ray
                        I use a similar product from Monster who licensed the programming interface from Logitech. The programming is not painless. The ease of programming is largely dependent on the setup of your various components. However, it is probably as easy as it can get for a consumer-oriented device.

The cradle on both the Monster and the Logitech units could use some ergonomic improvements, but it is not like they are not usable. The remotes should have enough battery life to last at least one or two days. You just need to make sure it sits securely in the charging craddle before you go to bed in the evening.

The RF works as expected and is much easier to deal with than IR.

Comment

• ray5
                          • Dec 2008

The 890 and One differ by only $30. 890 has RF and One does not. Harmony ONE in reviews is outstanding, very few complaints but 890 has more perhaps because it's been around longer. They have improved the ergonomics and aesthetics on the ONE. To be honest, I don't absolutely need the RF but it is convenient not to have to point plus in the future when I have a dedicated HT room I plan to hide away everything and then it will really be useful. The only concern is that 890 longevity has been questioned quite a bit. That's a lot of dollars for a remote and it should last a decent bit. People who complained about it seem to have started having problems around the 18 -24 months period.
                          Ray

Comment

• Industrial
                            • Mar 2009

It's all your choice

I only have to point in the general direction. It would be nice to have my remote set to shut off all my lights
                            in my HT controled via RF and then have the music to off right before bed...

If THE only diff was $30 extra and RF and nothing else them go for the one with RF!

Comment

• TommyV
                              • Feb 2007

Ray
                              Programming for me is easy but I am very familiar with Harmony software from programming other peoples Harmony's. It is not hard to learn, probably the easiest.

The cradle for the 880/890 was updated from earlier versions where there were complaints about it not setting in there properly. The newer cradles work much better. I have no issues with mine.

The RF on the 890 is not regular RF but something called Z-Wave. You can google to find more info on Z-Wave technology. At this moment I do not have the RF extender hooked up. I did at my last place and it works wonderfully.

I have programmed a Harmony One and it is a very nice remote. I hope they come out with a Z-Wave/RF version at some point but there is no indication of that any time soon.

Comment

• ray5
                                • Dec 2008

Programming for me is easy but I am very familiar with Harmony software from programming other peoples Harmony's. It is not hard to learn, probably the easiest.

The cradle for the 880/890 was updated from earlier versions where there were complaints about it not setting in there properly. The newer cradles work much better. I have no issues with mine.

The RF on the 890 is not regular RF but something called Z-Wave. You can google to find more info on Z-Wave technology. At this moment I do not have the RF extender hooked up. I did at my last place and it works wonderfully.

I have programmed a Harmony One and it is a very nice remote. I hope they come out with a Z-Wave/RF version at some point but there is no indication of that any time soon.
                                Thanks. That helps. My most used remotes currently are the Dishnetwork and Bose which are RF and so very convenient and so I wanted the same. However, the negative feedback on the 890 was turning me off and the overwhelming positive responses on the Harmony ONE very attractive. But looks like from your post they have sorted the major complaints out. Will check out both today. Thanks,
                                Ray

Comment

• TommyV
                                  • Feb 2007

Just FYI the new cradle has two metal contacts instead of three. I have had both and even though the new one works better, the old one worked fine for me. Logitech support is great as well. Whatever you decide I think you will love your new Harmony.

Logitech just send the check to TommyV in TX

Comment

• ray5
                                    • Dec 2008

Just FYI the new cradle has two metal contacts instead of three. I have had both and even though the new one works better, the old one worked fine for me. Logitech support is great as well. Whatever you decide I think you will love your new Harmony.

Logitech just send the check to TommyV in TX
                                    Just checked out both in the local BB. The ONE truly is pretty and ergonomic. BUt I think the utility of RF for me is important. Perhaps Logitech wit come out with the ONE with RF soon! Hopefully before I buy one. Thanks.
                                    Ray

Comment

• TommyV
                                      • Feb 2007

Yea the One is nice but don't hold your breath on an RF version. I'm sure it will come eventually. I'll probably snag one when they do because I like the One. I have two Harmonys now. Just go get one and if they come out with and RF One get that and move the other to your bedroom or whatever. That's what I do. Whatever falls from the bedroom goes for sale.

Comment

• Industrial
                                        • Mar 2009

... move the other to your bedroom or whatever. That's what I do. Whatever falls from the bedroom goes for sale.
                                        That's pretty much what I do with all my electronics as well.

Comment

• keytrnr
                                          • Jan 2008

The harmony 1000 works great on my Rotel 1068. Be sure to check out places like Amazon, they have the harmony remotes much cheaper than the stores. Also, unless they've made changes, realize the harmony won't control a device that is RF, it only controls an IR device with it's own RF converter.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"