X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrJazz
    • Apr 2005

Odd RSP-976 remote issues...and a fix!

I just wanted to share an odd experience I've been having with my trusty old RSP-976 surround sound processor. For quite some time now (well over a year, maybe more) I've been having one helluva time with the remote control. Specifically, the 976 would only respond intermittently to volume up and down commands, as well as the mute button. I would have to press the buttons several times before the unit would respond. So, whenever I want to change the volume by say 15 "notches", it was pure hell. And do you have any idea how frustrating it is when the phone rings and you're trying to mute the volume but nothing happens? You're just POUNDING on the mute button but the sound is still blaring! Grrr.... :M

Naturally, I first suspected that the Rotel remote was defective in some way. Standing right in front of the 976 with the remote didn't help. Fresh alkaline batteries didn't help. An IR repeater didn't help. So, I picked up a new Logitech Harmony remote (which is a very nice remote, BTW). Now, this is very important, I did NOT program the Harmony remote with my existing Rotel remote. Anyone who has a Harmony remote knows that it downloads codes from Logitech's web site - in general you don't "teach" it from an existing remote. Remember, this is important to the story.

So, I get the new Harmony remote, go to Logitech's site and download the codes for the 976. Much to my disappointment, the volume control is still not improved. So, I suspected that the 976 was defective in some way. An email to Rotel Tech Support (which was answered very quickly) had them suggest that I perform a complete reset on the unit. Unfortunately, this did not resolve the issue.

So, I'm thinking that my 976 is four years old and is due for an upgrade anyway. I go to my local Rotel dealer (Fidelis - formally Laser Home Theatre - in Halifax, Nova Scotia - great guys, BTW!) and they let me borrow a 1068 for the weekend. First off, the 1068 sounds waaaaaay better than the 976 - I almost bought it just for the improved sound quality. So, I get out my Harmony remote and start fiddling around with it. Now, I did NOT reprogram the Harmony for a 1068 - I reasoned that all Rotel preamps used the same remote codes and that the 976 codes that were in the Harmony would operate the 1068 too. And in fact, this was true. However, the volume commands exhibited the same intermittent behaviour as the 976!!! But the remote that came with the 1068 worked like a champ.

I took my Harmony to the computer and downloaded the codes for the 1068 and tried it again. The volume commands now worked flawlessly! I put my 976 back in the rack and what do you know! The volume commands also worked flawlessly for the 976! Since I was not really in a financial position to buy the 1068 anyway, you can imagine that this made me a very happy person.

I thought I would share this story with the group in case anyone else is having problems like this. I found it extremely strange that TWO remotes experienced this problem and I was positive that the 976 was getting flakey. But reprogramming to the latest Rotel preamp codes fixed the problem.

Cheers,
    Dr Jazz
  • heschong
    • Aug 2006

Dr Jazz, you have saved the day for me! I have the same setup and was having the same problems, and lo and behold, this fixed it! Thanks! Exclamation point!

Comment

• DrJazz
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by heschong
      Dr Jazz, you have saved the day for me! I have the same setup and was having the same problems, and lo and behold, this fixed it! Thanks! Exclamation point!
      Hey, glad I could help! Actually, I'm kinda surprised someone else ran into the same problem, but now I'm glad I took the time to post my experience with it.

I still have my 976 and it's working well. Though, I'm getting REALLY anxious to upgrade to a 1068 (I keep looking everyday for a deal on eBay). After all, I've had the 976 for 6 years - in the world of digital equipment, it's downright ancient now!

Cheers,
      DrJazz

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"