X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • humyt
    • Apr 2009

RMB-1095 or RMB-1575

Which power amp would maximize the potential of my Dynaudio Focus 220s & 200C for HT usage?

The Dynaudios are 4 ohm speakers and have a power rating of 250W. They love high current & power.
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by humyt
    Which power amp would maximize the potential of my Dynaudio Focus 220s & 200C for HT usage?

The Dynaudios are 4 ohm speakers and have a power rating of 250W. They love high current & power.
    I own Dynaudio speakers and owned the RMB1095. The amp handles the load extremely well. you have complete control over the speakers. It's a really good match. BUT....

It's heavy as hell and tall. It's the only 2 downsides to the amp. It's a pain to move around if you have to. And it takes up a lot of room in ones rack.

The RMB1575 I want to try out myself. On paper it's even more powerful, lighter and smaller. I like all of the above and Rotel made it so I have to believe it's going to sound good. I sold all my Rotel gear and now own a Pioneer Elite SC-07 which for a short time I used as a preamp. Now I use the Internal ICE amps and they sound great. I didn't lose any sound quality and is why I feel without hearing the new Rotel ICE amp, It's going to sound good. I heard the older models and they where very nice.

Dan

Comment

• humyt
      • Apr 2009

Thanks Dan

Anyone care to share what kind of speaker cables are suited for these high current beasts? :roll:

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

We don't allow too much able talk here, but our forum sponser CatCables should be able to help you decide.

Kevin D.

Comment

• TimbaLand
          • Aug 2013

Interesting that the on coming RMB1585 will be 200w of class AB like the 1095. Does this mean 200w of rotel class ab is better than 250w of class D?

Comment

• Dmantis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2004

Really? I can't see why Rotel would move away from Class D?

Comment

• mjb
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

I've owned a RMB-1575 and I was disappointed with it. The best sounding Rotel Class D amp was the RMB-1077, so if weight/space is a concern you could try one of those. If I remember correctly, 2 of its channels (L+R) use beefier B&O modules, and it performs much better than the 100 watt/channel rating would have you believe.

I've heard that Rotel are moving away from Class D, and that Classé are moving to it, so I'm not sure what to believe! The proof is in real products, not rumors, but I don't think Class D has been a big hit with audiophiles - yet.
              - Mike

Main System:
              B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
              Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

I don't think most class D's have been implemented properly. None of the Classe Ds I've listened to have really impressed me. Initially they sound good, but when you start really listening to them you can find a lot of weaknesses.

Though I did hear a class A/D (or maybe A/B & D) amp that the signal was completely analog and only the power to drive the signal was pushed through a digital power source. I don't know how it worked...but it sound very impressive! Price tag on it too was impressive (in the cost a lot of money way).
                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by mjb
                  I've heard that Rotel are moving away from Class D, and that Classé are moving to it, so I'm not sure what to believe! The proof is in real products, not rumors, but I don't think Class D has been a big hit with audiophiles - yet.
                  Rotel basically admitted the Class D ends up being acceptable for most Home Theater type applications, but their performance for music was left wanting.
                  Most issues were occurring the LF range.
                  Small form factor & low thermal emission may be significant benefits for the HT market.
                  But for 2ch muisicphiles, such characteristics are non-essential with tonality & timbre taking high priority.
                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Dmantis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jun 2004

I would like to conduct a shootout between Class D and A B amps to really hear what the differences are. I've heard them side by side in the past and thought the Class D models where pretty damn good. But I didn't take a huge amount of time studying each one.

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

Ohh, there's definitely class D amps out there (can't speaker for Rotels) that definitely can make all but the elitist/purist/Class a & a/b people claim there's hardly to no differences.

However, there's a lot of class Ds that don't have the smoothness and detail that A/B ones have and the micro details along with it.

The only few times I've heard digital amps (that are even within a price range I could afford).... all sounded very good and by themselves and with enough time, anyone could be happy with them... but they all did have a slight harshness, edge, 'digital' sound to them, as I don't have the vocabulary to really describe it. It's almost a "too clean and sterile" sound. Where nothing is out of place, everything is PERFECT. Which initially sounds good... but one soon realizes that music is made up of flaws and things that when removed, take the life out of it.

For HT use, yes, Digital amps are top notch, you're too absorbed in the movie to notice the minor details. But sitting listening to music and doing nothing else, you tend to hear these things.

I'm sure there's been some great strides in Digital amps and probably the Low to Mid Hifi ones are probably better at this now.
                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                      -Dan

Comment

• Dougie Fresh
                        • Aug 2013

Had the RMB 1585, so did my two of my friends, all three of them went back. They are powerful, the top end just wasn't there. I'm sure with the "right" speaker they could work beautifully and make some folks very happy.
                        I did end up with a RMB1095, bought it used, thought I could grab it and just throw it in the back of the car; almost didn't make it and I'm a pretty big guy.

The fellow that sold it to me said it runs up the power bill...he may be right, I did see ours go up a bit :E

Originally posted by humyt

Comment

• TimbaLand
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Dougie Fresh
                          Had the RMB 1585, so did my two of my friends, all three of them went back. They are powerful, the top end just wasn't there. I'm sure with the "right" speaker they could work beautifully and make some folks very happy.
                          I did end up with a RMB1095, bought it used, thought I could grab it and just throw it in the back of the car; almost didn't make it and I'm a pretty big guy.

The fellow that sold it to me said it runs up the power bill...he may be right, I did see ours go up a bit :E
                          Didn't you mean to say you had the 1575?

Comment

• Dougie Fresh
                            • Aug 2013

Oh thanks for pointed that out - all three of had the stereo 200wpc
                            The RB-1582 is the culmination of everything we have learned to date about amplifier design and sound quality.

Still have and love the RMB1095 - you know you're in a HT when its on!

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"