X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

Rotel RB-1090 vs RB-1080

i have a 1080 and was thinking of getting a 1090 used. i like the look of having the amp in between the speakers and the 1080 is small. what are the pros and cons of the 2 amps. general info and whatnot. thanks
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

If you like the RB-1080 you'll love the RB-1090. I've had both and the RB-1090 is tonally like the RB-1080 but with more control, especially over more demanding loads. Really the RB-1090 second hand is a bargain and still highly sort after. There are few speakers it can't drive well.

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

I agree, if you like the 1080, the 1090 is the icing on the cake. It definitely has a quickness and accuracy feel to it. It's almost like with the 1080 the speakers seem to control the amp, but with the 1090 you know the amp has full control over the speakers.

I made the jump to it and would never consider going back!
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• BWLover
        • Jan 2009

Thanks. My biggest problem with the 1080 is this, I listen to a very wide genre of music and sometimes I like to escape into psy trance. Now from what my rep told me the artists I'm listening to have very dynamic and heavy bass. I play it it loud and after about 90 mins the amp shuts down. It's hot as shit. Itonly does this when I listen to oforia and atomic pulse. He said get a cooling fan, I say get a 1090 and use the 1080 for rears or biamp my centre.
        Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
        Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
        Playstation 3
        Shaw HD PVR

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

I agree 100%.
          It's called 'head room', & the 1090 has a ton.

I have been using Dan's (PewterTA's) for a few months while he gets its new 'crib' in order.

This is the only amp I have put in my system that made a truly noticeable and significant improvement in the overall sound quality.

When Dan takes his amp home :cry: , I will be replacing it with my own 1090 ASAP.
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

Yeah, just make sure to get it all in black because Bill thinks it sounds better that way. :lol:
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• Kreyfish
              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by PewterTA
              Yeah, just make sure to get it all in black because Bill thinks it sounds better that way. :lol:
              Not true! Every audiophile worth his salt knows that blue LEDs sound better than red ones... :W

But seriously, I have both of these amps in my system along with a 1095 and I love them all. I started with the 1080 powering my front towers and the 1095 doing duties on the centre and four surrounds and was quite content for some time.

However, I kept reading about the 1090 (big mistake) and spent much time pondering how it would sound powering the fronts for both HT and stereo, so when I heard they were to be discontinued, I pulled the trigger.

When I first hooked it up, I didn't notice much difference at moderate volume levels but was still more than happy with the way it matched the 1095 in the rack. My front towers are quite efficient at 93 dB/w, so I was only using a small percentage of available power.

It was after a few weeks that I had the chance to give it some berries on a dynamic music piece that the vast headroom came into it's own. Now I could clearly hear tighter and deeper bass, better articulation and a more gradual decay. Simply put, it just sounded better.

Any concerns I had about the mismatched power levels for surround work were put to rest as adjusting speaker levels on the RSP1098 soon had them matched perfectly.

I agree that the 1080 runs hot, but the 1090 barely raises a sweat. I have six 125mm (5") fans plumbed into the amp cabinet with 2 fans on each amp (one fan aimed at each output transistor heatsink) so even the 1080 never goes into thermal protection, but even without them the 1090 stayed cool.

Using the 1090 has has allowed me to biamp the centre with the 1080, which now gives me a powerful, seemless front stage.

My advice would be to grab a 1090 when you can. Over here, they are getting increasingly hard to find as people are hanging onto them.

Pull the trigger! :T
              It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission...

Comment

• bigburner
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

Originally posted by BWLover
                Thanks. My biggest problem with the 1080 is this, I listen to a very wide genre of music and sometimes I like to escape into psy trance. Now from what my rep told me the artists I'm listening to have very dynamic and heavy bass. I play it it loud and after about 90 mins the amp shuts down. It's hot as shit. Itonly does this when I listen to oforia and atomic pulse. He said get a cooling fan, I say get a 1090 and use the 1080 for rears or biamp my centre.
                Hi BWLover,

You might like to consider a subwoofer to give your 1080 more headroom and provide the heavy bass that you enjoy.

Nigel.

Comment

• BWLover
                  • Jan 2009

I do plan on getting a couple subs but I still want to run the fronts full frequency. Anybody got any info on ASW610XP?
                  Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                  Playstation 3
                  Shaw HD PVR

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"