X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KyaDawn
    • Mar 2008

Pre-amp to power amp cables?

I just bought a Rotel 1092 to drive my new B&W 802Ds. For now, I will be using a Denon 4308 as the pre-amp for my 802Ds. I was wondering how good should the RCA cables be that I use to connect the Rotel 1092 to the Denon? Must I use expensive cables, and do you have any recommendations?
  • Legairre
    • Jan 2002

Monoprice has nice cables at great prices. I use the HQ RG6 cables and they are great. http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10236
    "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
    Radden Home Theater

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

I would check with Doug (Lex) on this site for cables . He made all of my cables , and I wouldn't go anywhere else.
      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• bnieman
        • Jun 2006

I agree with Legairre, Monoprice rocks for RCA and HDMI cables. I also really like Monoprices banana plugs. I go to Blue Jeans cable for my speaker wire (they also have really nice banana plugs too, a little more costly than Monoprice's)

Anyways, I am getting off subject. For RCA Cables: Monoprice. You can even get them bundled together for 5.1 inputs. Great quality, great price. What more can you ask for?
        Guide: Ripping DVD-Audio Discs (DVD-A) to FLAC in Windows

Comment

• Alaric
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Ummmmm.... Lemme try this again. The owner of HTGuide makes very good cables. Worth checking out.
          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
          Schiit Modi 3
          Marantz CD5005
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Kreyfish
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by KyaDawn
            I just bought a Rotel 1092 to drive my new B&W 802Ds. For now, I will be using a Denon 4308 as the pre-amp for my 802Ds. I was wondering how good should the RCA cables be that I use to connect the Rotel 1092 to the Denon? Must I use expensive cables, and do you have any recommendations?
            The subject of cables (both interconnect and speaker) is one of immense debate, but in answer to your original question, my opinion is this-:

Signals being transmitted from a source to a preamp or a preamp to a power amp are line-level, or of low voltage/current and therefore are more prone to picking up interference that is of a high enough level to have audible effects on them.
            For this reason, the interconnects that you are asking about are in my view very important to your setup.
            Capacitance should be relatively low and cable impedance should be 75ohm for digital and 100ohm for analogue and they definitely should be shielded.
            I have made all of my interconnects using Belden 89207 for analogue and 89259 for digital with Eichmann bullets and Cardas quad-eutectic silver solder. The shield on the analogue cables is connected to the ground pin at the source end and grounded through a 1uF ceramic disc capacitor at the destination. This gives no continuity at signal frequencies to prevent multiple paths and ground loops but continuity at RF frequencies to provide effective shielding. I have spent many hours experimenting with this and am probably a bit anal about it. ops:

However, I have heard nothing but glowing reports about Lex's cables and believe as a forum sponsor he should be supported. If you do a search on this forum about his products, you will see that you will not go wrong, and might just unleash some hidden talent in your system. :T
            It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission...

Comment

• chrispy35
              • Feb 2004

How is cable impedance impedance important at analog audio frequencies? How long of a cable are we talking about here?

Comment

• bnieman
                • Jun 2006

Uh oh... Let the great cable debate resume!!!
                Guide: Ripping DVD-Audio Discs (DVD-A) to FLAC in Windows

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Sorry.. Have to cut it short here. Per the rules of the forum, cables can not be the main topic of discussion.

Thanks,

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"