X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2channellover
    • Jan 2009

RTC 970 needs and aux 5.1 processor

Newbie on this board. I was impressed with the knowledge I've seen displayed and decided to join.

I have an old (used for 2-channel) system that I'm now trying to upgrade to home theater.

I bought a Rotel preamp several years ago (RTC-970) and used it as the control center for my 2-channel system. At that time I was told when I was ready to move into HT, I could purchase a separate surround sound processor.

Many years later I'm ready, and a quick scan of the Rotel website shows preamps with surround sound processors, but not an auxiliary surround sound processor.

Is my RTC-970 now worthless as an HT component or is there hope? If it is that's okay because I can still use it (will be building another 2-channel system for another room soon).

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

They made a few different Dolby/DTS decoders that you could use with your 970, but if you were to find one it's not going to be worth it. The cable needed to use the 25pin input cable on the 970 is around $75 to begin with!

If you're not concerned about blu-ray and the latest surround sound formats, you're cheapest bet is to find a RSP-985. If you wanted to keep the built in tuner like your 970 has, you'll have to stick with a receiver. The RSX972 would be the receiver in that same age.

Anything newer in the 10 series will do Dolby/DTS. As you go up the features increase as does the used cost.

Kevin D.

Comment

• 2channellover
      • Jan 2009

Thanks.

I think I'll just buy more updated receiver for this HT system, and put the RTC970 with another system to function as a tuner.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"