X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boxer82003
    • Apr 2006

my spl meter a couple of questions

its been a year or so since i last used my meter so i have a couple of question on the setup for my system which is

RSP-1068
    RMB-1075
    front and rear are B&W 602.5 S3
    center LCR60 S3
    sub ASW650

here is a link to my spl meter CM-130

right now i have all speakers set to small and crossover 60hz sub is 60hz as well is this ok .

now when using the spl meter i cant remember the settings fast or slow, dBA or dBC etc..

what level should i set the rsp-1068 at for the test tone and what should i read on the meter.

thanks
    Main Linn Ninka
    Center Linn AV5120
    Rear Linn Ninka
    Sub B&W ASW 650

Processor Rotel RSP-1570
    Amp Rotel RMB-1075
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Originally posted by boxer82003
    right now i have all speakers set to small and crossover 60hz sub is 60hz as well is this ok .

now when using the spl meter i cant remember the settings fast or slow, dBA or dBC etc..
    Slow, C weighted.

Originally posted by boxer82003

what level should i set the rsp-1068 at for the test tone and what should i read on the meter.

thanks
    Eh, up to you. Since the Rotel volume isn't based on a negative dB scale, any decent volume should do. This is for the internal test-tones only.

I would typically turn the volume up until the front left is at 75dB. Go up or down on volume until you hit an even number (70,75,80, etc), then set the main speakers to 75dB, sub to 80-85dB. Going to that number in the future should get you close to 'reference level'.

Kevin D.

Comment

• boxer82003
      • Apr 2006

thanks for the reply kevin

just to be clear

start with each channel level at 0dB

turn on the test tone set the spl meter to slow and C now turn up the main volume until i read ie 75 on my spl meter leave the main volume and adjust each speaker using individual level to read the same other then the sub
      is this correct ops:

what do you think of my crossover settings ?
      Main Linn Ninka
      Center Linn AV5120
      Rear Linn Ninka
      Sub B&W ASW 650

Processor Rotel RSP-1570
      Amp Rotel RMB-1075

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Yup. You might try 80 on the crossover's at least on the center.

According to the page on your SPL meter, it only measures down to 125hz. Your sub volume may be too high because of this. Might have to play around with the volume there.

Kevin D.

Comment

• boxer82003
          • Apr 2006

can i get a bit more info on what you mean about the spl and sub setup

thanks
          Main Linn Ninka
          Center Linn AV5120
          Rear Linn Ninka
          Sub B&W ASW 650

Processor Rotel RSP-1570
          Amp Rotel RMB-1075

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

The SPL meter description has: Frequency Range: 125Hz to 8KHz I'm not sure if that's only what it can meter, or if that's only where it's accurate.

Your sub is only going to play 20hz-60ish (the crossover isn't a brick wall, but you probably won't have much info above 125hz). So your SPL meter may not pick up the sound coming from the sub. If it does pick something up, it may not be accurate.

Setting the sub to 80-85dB with your meter might make it too loud. Of course if it's just inaccurate in the sub-bass range, setting it to 80-85dB might make it too quiet. It's something you'll have to play with to get it where it sounds right to you.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"