X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boxer82003
    • Apr 2006

spl meter what settings to use

what settings do i use on my spl meter slow, fast, a/c

what volume level should i set my 1068 at i thought it was 75 and adjust so spl meter reads 75 db
    Main Linn Ninka
    Center Linn AV5120
    Rear Linn Ninka
    Sub B&W ASW 650

Processor Rotel RSP-1570
    Amp Rotel RMB-1075
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

Use slow and C weighting. A weighting doesn't measure bass.

What I usually do is set my SPL meter at 80 and turn up the main volume with the first speaker (left front) playing until it hits 0 on the meter (80dB) and then match the rest to it. When you are done, turn the main volume down before you turn off the test tone or you maybe in for a shock if something is playing.

Eric

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

I typically use slow response, but since the Rotel's don't automatically jump from speaker to speaker it shouldn't matter.

Kevin D.

Comment

• scanido
        • Apr 2006

Can one assume the test tones built into the Rotel receivers/Processors are accurate or should one invest in a calibration DVDs e.g; Avia or Digital Essentials?

Comment

• boxer82003
          • Apr 2006

FOR THE PRICE WE PAY THEY !@#$%*! BETTER BE ACCURATE

lol just kidding
          Main Linn Ninka
          Center Linn AV5120
          Rear Linn Ninka
          Sub B&W ASW 650

Processor Rotel RSP-1570
          Amp Rotel RMB-1075

Comment

• hifiguymi
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by scanido
            Can one assume the test tones built into the Rotel receivers/Processors are accurate or should one invest in a calibration DVDs e.g; Avia or Digital Essentials?
            I've never compared the internal one to a disc, but the internal one seems to be pretty accurate.

Eric

Comment

• Gutty
              • Apr 2007

Just a heads up, if using the DVE disc, keep in mind the LFE tone on that disc is about 12db out. IMO better, atleast when setting the sub, to use the inbuilt test tone.
              I have a THX certified Yamaha reciever, running to Rotel power amp of course. Part of the THX certification is having accurate test tones. I personally found the DVE disc to be very close to my Yamaha test tones on all but the sub. I'd imagine the Rotel test tones to be pretty damn good given the amount of THX certified gear they've released in the past.

Good guide to audio calibration http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=31720
              Last edited by Gutty; 24 May 2007, 17:29 Thursday.

Comment

• boxer82003
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Gutty
                Just a heads up, if using the DVE disc, keep in mind the LFE tone on that disc is about 12db out. IMO better, atleast when setting the sub, to use the inbuilt test tone.
                I have a THX certified Yamaha reciever, running to Rotel power amp of course. Part of the THX certification is having accurate test tones. I personally found the DVE disc to be very close to my Yamaha test tones on all but the sub. I'd imagine the Rotel test tones to be pretty damn good given the amount of THX certified gear they've released in the past.

Good guide to audio calibration http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=31720
                i think the link is bad
                Main Linn Ninka
                Center Linn AV5120
                Rear Linn Ninka
                Sub B&W ASW 650

Processor Rotel RSP-1570
                Amp Rotel RMB-1075

Comment

• Club1820
                  • Jan 2006

Just copy and paste link in browser address bar and it works that way.
                  Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Gutty
                    • Apr 2007

Should be fixed now.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"