X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mkoreiwo
    • Sep 2003

Speake Calibration and RSX Rotel series

I have searched this forum, and found only sporadic reference to calibration of Home Theater speakers when using the RSX receivers. Whether there is any interest in this or not....

Having switched from a Marantz SR780 to the Rotel RSX 1055 I was a little unsure as to "where" the reference calibration point was for the 75db at the "0db" setting on the receiver. The Marantz volume is of the db type, i.e. from negative db (-40db etc) up to 0db, then up to a max of +10db.

The Rotel has the meaningless incremental numbers, representing nothing.

Perhaps it is all relative... But as to the "proper" way to calibrate a HT setup, you should use the pink noise from a reference DVD such as the AVIA or Video essentions, not the test tones from the receiver. And, the test tones from the DVD source should be calibrated to 75db, not 85db. (this is all explained on the DVD's BTW)

Without a db scale on the Rotel, I guess the only way to "calibrate" an HT setup would be to use the center channel pink noise, and raise the master volume on the RSX until the SPL reads 75db, then, note the nuber from the Rotel, then proceed to cal the other speakers to match the center channel.

I really wish Rotel would change this!

Any opinions??

Mike K.
    Mike K.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I'd prefer a -dB scale as well but I can understand why they wouldn't choose to use it as it confused most people that used my old Sony that did that.

As for the 75 dB vs 85dB that depends on which calibration DVD you're using...VE and presumably DVE are at 75dB while Avia is at 85dB...both will result in the exact same loudness once calibration is compete its just one has its test tones recorded lower then the other.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"