X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bleeding ears
    • Nov 2004

Picture & sound from Blu ray possible with 1068 prepro

Hi again guys,

With all the talk about blu ray and the new sound formats I am starting to ponder how to get the sound and picture without having to update from my current 1068 processor.

I have already learnt here, that it is possible to get the sound from analog connections on a blu ray player to the 1068 processor, which is good news, however I am not sure if it is possible to get the picture as well.

I dont think it would be possible to use both analog for sound and Hdmi for picture from the player straight to the tv, at the same time would it ?

Is there any way to do this and keep the 106(eight) processor?
  • planitismetal
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by bleeding ears
    Hi again guys,
    I dont think it would be possible to use both analog for sound and Hdmi for picture from the player straight to the tv, at the same time would it ?

Is there any way to do this and keep the 106(eight) processor?

I have done this connection before making the setup with my SSP-800, and has worked fine!!!

Comment

• dmcgowan
      • Sep 2003

Bleeding Ears,

It is very possible. I run HDMI from my PS3 to an Integra 6.8 to get the lossless codecs. From there, the 7.1 channel analog outs go to my 1098 and HDMI to the Kuro. The newer players (e.g. Sony BDP550) will do direct 7.1ch and HDMI picture out so you can do it.

In your time zone so PM me if you want to discuss?

Darren

Comment

• bnieman
        • Jun 2006

Aren't you going through 2 preamps with seperate volume controls if you run the Integra receiver > RSP-1098 > Amp?

Or is it possible to send a line level signal out of the Integra and into the RSP-1098 for volume control by the RSP-1068?

Just curious.

Originally posted by dmcgowan
        Bleeding Ears,

It is very possible. I run HDMI from my PS3 to an Integra 6.8 to get the lossless codecs. From there, the 7.1 channel analog outs go to my 1098 and HDMI to the Kuro. The newer players (e.g. Sony BDP550) will do direct 7.1ch and HDMI picture out so you can do it.

In your time zone so PM me if you want to discuss?

Darren
        Guide: Ripping DVD-Audio Discs (DVD-A) to FLAC in Windows

Comment

• Ferres
          • Jan 2007

The panny BD-55 can be configured to send HD audio through analog and HD video only through HDMI. That is if you can still get this excellent player.

The newer upcoming model should be able to do the same.

Comment

• dmcgowan
            • Sep 2003

Brieman,

Yes - I take the pre-outs from the Integra and run then through the 1098 multi channel inputs. Volume on the Integra is just set to maximum and I use the 1098 to adjust.

It's a Heath Robinson answer, but the new lossless audio is worth the hassle.

Comment

• bnieman
              • Jun 2006

haha (Heath Robinson, nice)

I wish someone would come out with a HDMI switcher with nice DACs that could strip the audio from the HDMI signal and convert it to analog and then pass the video through untouched...
              Guide: Ripping DVD-Audio Discs (DVD-A) to FLAC in Windows

Comment

• bleeding ears
                • Nov 2004

Thats great news guys, If I can use both analog and hdmi at the same time that solves the problem and I can keep the 1068 for some time yet.

Just wondering now why there is an optical connection on all the players I have seen.

Is this of any use for the new lossless sound formats?

I assume not, then why have it on the unit ?

Comment

• planitismetal
                  • Dec 2008

Is there any coaxial digital output in your player??

Comment

• bleeding ears
                    • Nov 2004

Yes there was a coax also on the unit/s I checked out.

Comment

• planitismetal
                      • Dec 2008

So, you can connect the player to the pre/pro with this connection for audio... I think is better for 5.1 audio...

Comment

• bleeding ears
                        • Nov 2004

So I gather the optical or coax is for standard DTS and DD audio from the blu ray player, as happens with a standard dvd player, and the analog connections are for the lossless audio when playing a blu ray disc?

Or, are only the analog connections needed to do both standard dts/dd and blu ray audio, where the blu ray player decodes the lossless audio and sends it to the 1068 prepro and then when selecting standard dvd, the dts/dd is decoded by the prepro

Is this correct ?

Comment

• planitismetal
                          • Dec 2008

I have to read the manual of the 1068... Just 10 minutes... Because the sound that you have with HDMI is the same with coaxial, so the decode is being made by the pre...

"The RSP-1068 also automatically detects and decodes DTS ES, DTS ES Discrete and Matrix, DTS 24/96, HDCD, and MP3-encoded audio. There’s also DTS Neo:6 mode for cinema sound and music. Six other DSP modes (Music 1-4, 5 CH Stereo, and 7 CH Stereo) complement traditional two-channel stereo operation to make the RSP-1068 more than suitable for any source"

So, I would prefer coaxial digital for the sound and HDMI directly to the monitor... So the pre mades the decode and not the player...

Or you can make both connections and see what you prefer more...

In the manual: NOTE: Surround formats like Dolby Digital and
                          DTS are digital formats and the RSP-1068
                          can only decode them when a digital input
                          signal is available. For this reason, you should
                          always connect your DVD player’s digital
                          outputs to the RSP-1068, using either the optical
                          or coax inputs.

Comment

• Kevin D
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2002

Plantis, no need to make multiple replies. You can hit the EDIT button and add to your own reply.

We're discussing the new high-definition sound formats from a blu-ray player, which didn't exist when the 1068 was made and what's in the manual does not apply.

The digital outputs on all blu-ray players will never provide any high definition format. The only thing you will get out of the outputs (optical/coaxial) is the core (old) Dolby Digital and DTS.

It was a requirement that the new Dolby and DTS formats have the legacy formats built in for backwards compatibility. With the 1068, the only way to get the new formats is to have the player do the decoding and send this output to the multi-channel inputs. Or as Darren does, have another unit decoded the audio and then send it analog over to the 1068.

Kevin D.

Comment

• planitismetal
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Kevin D
                              Plantis, no need to make multiple replies. You can hit the EDIT button and add to your own reply.
                              Kevin D.

ops: ops: ops: I forgot it... Sorry... ops: ops:

Comment

• Kevin D
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Oct 2002

Not a problem, I took care of it for you.

Kevin D.

Comment

• DonGreen
                                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by bleeding ears
                                  So I gather the optical or coax is for standard DTS and DD audio from the blu ray player, as happens with a standard dvd player, and the analog connections are for the lossless audio when playing a blu ray disc?

Or, are only the analog connections needed to do both standard dts/dd and blu ray audio, where the blu ray player decodes the lossless audio and sends it to the 1068 prepro and then when selecting standard dvd, the dts/dd is decoded by the prepro

Is this correct ?
                                  It was a requirement that the new Dolby and DTS formats have the legacy formats built in for backwards compatibility. With the 1068, the only way to get the new formats is to have the player do the decoding and send this output to the multi-channel inputs. Or as Darren does, have another unit decoded the audio and then send it analog over to the 1068.
                                  Kevin D.
                                  Sorry to labour a point, but does this mean that the analog signal from the BD player (Sony BDP-S550) to the MultiInput (analog) IN on the 1068 is the best way to go for all audio formats?

I know this is required for the lossless formats the 1068 can't handle, but will this also handle the DTS an DD formats, and will the BD player or the 1068 be decoding these?

Is there any necessity or advantage in having a digital connection as well?

Comment

• Kevin D
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2002

Since the 1068 will most likely have better options for delay, crossover, and levels, I would use the digital cable for regular Dolby/DTS and let the 1068 do the decoding. There's a chance the standard decoders in the 1068 might be better as well.

If you have a 7.1 system, definitely use the digital cable, as no blu-ray player will apply Dolby PLIIx to allow using the center surrounds on regular Dolby/DTS tracks.

Kevin D.

Comment

• dmcgowan
                                      • Sep 2003

Or, just leave your regular DVD player plugged in and have the Blu-Ray only for the Blu-Ray discs? Most of us would have both and the PS3 is a PITA for changing between HDMI audio and Optical.

Since the 1068 will most likely have better options for delay, crossover, and levels, I would use the digital cable for regular Dolby/DTS and let the 1068 do the decoding. There's a chance the standard decoders in the 1068 might be better as well.

If you have a 7.1 system, definitely use the digital cable, as no blu-ray player will apply Dolby PLIIx to allow using the center surrounds on regular Dolby/DTS tracks.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"