X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bleeding ears
    • Nov 2004

1068 Subwoofer settings

When setting the subwoofer levels for each mode, eg Dolby digital, stereo etc, I always find that I have to set the DTS level much lower than all the others.

EG DTS is - 9 on the menu
    Dolby Digital 0
    Stereo 0

Any ideas why this is ?

DTS can still be too much bass at -9 setting and I sometimes still reduce it on the fly by another 3 or 5. It is almost to the point that I cannot back it off enough on the remote alone.

Rather annoying that it is not anywhere near the same bass levels as the other modes.

Is this related to the 1068 ? does the 1066 or the 1069 do the same ?

Any ideas ?

Pete
  • style
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2006

Hi bleeding ears,

the dvd-cd player don't have a speaker-setup?
    my well, I can change in the dvd-cd player the speakers setup (small/big...and crossover too)....

on the 1068 OSD you can to make a set...if you have the DD as 1-2 must for DTS modus the same or a pair point higher (make 4).

if dont go you must go an every listing/watching to turn the power volume from the sub....
    but is very strange: I have had the rsp1068 and all was at 2-4 in the sub setup (for movie) and work good.

Style

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Have you updated the firmware to the latest version? I can't remember, but either the 1066 or 1068 had an issues with DD sub output being too low.

That said, the DTS tracks are usually mixed hotter. I too have to back DTS down. If you are running out of adjustment, I you can turn the sub down in the speaker setup menu and up on the other individual modes.

Kevin D.

Comment

• scanido
        • Apr 2006

Instead of creating a new thread on a related topic, on the RSX-1057, is bass management and speaker levels applied in the Multi-Input mode?

Thanks!

Comment

• FernandoF
          • Nov 2005

Scanido,

According to my understanding - and some testing - on the RSX-1056 (which should behave identically to the 1057), for the Multi-Input :

Bass Management - No (except for the "LFE Redirect" option found on the 'Input' menu)
          Speaker Levels - Yes (including the "Multi-Input" subwoofer level found on the 'Sub Setup' menu)

That's why you'll want to set Speaker Levels first on the receiver, and only then on the player (as they interact). Others may disagree though.

Fernando

Comment

• bnieman
            • Jun 2006

@bleeding-ears: On my RSP-1068 DTS LFE signal is always louder than Dolby Digital or PCM. I usually just make the adjustment directly on my sub when I use it...
            Guide: Ripping DVD-Audio Discs (DVD-A) to FLAC in Windows

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by FernandoF
              Scanido,

Bass Management - No (except for the "LFE Redirect" option found on the 'Input' menu)
              Speaker Levels - Yes (including the "Multi-Input" subwoofer level found on the 'Sub Setup' menu)

Fernando
              Level settings (aside from the multi-in sub-setup) have no effect on the multi-channel inputs.

Kevin D.

Comment

• bleeding ears
                • Nov 2004

I have the latest version that I am aware of (2.8) on my 1068 processor.

So I dont think that would be the cause of the problem.

I use a co ax from dvd to processor for sound, no multi inputs, so that would not be an issue.

I guess I wil just have to adjust things as much as I can from the remote and if that is not backing the bass off enough I will have to adjust the sub.

Still sounds great, but is strange that DTS has so much more bass.

Now that I think of it perhaps it is just the one DTS disc (Hell Freezes over)
                that has more bass than a Dolby Digital music disc.

I will go back and try other discs and see if the bass with other DTS discs needs to be backed off a lot compared to Dolby Digital Discs.

I guess it could be just as Kevin has said a "hot" recording. Hmmmm ?

Pete

Comment

• jam200
                  • Jan 2009

How do you find the software version on the RSP-1068?

Appreciate any help on this question. Thanks.

Comment

• bleeding ears
                    • Nov 2004

From memory, to find the version your processor has, I think you hold the mute button in on the processor and the display will show somethng like V: 1:2:8 or something similar to that.

Comment

• wheelz7
                      • Nov 2005

Ears as was mentioned DTS is recorded louder,also are you comparing the 2 sound tracks on hell freezes because one is dts and the other is pcm stereo not dolby digital.
                      I think that dts sounds much better than dd on the comparisons i've made with different movies/concerts.

Comment

• bleeding ears
                        • Nov 2004

Wheelz7, no I was not comparing the Hell Freezes over DTS to the PCM.

I have compared the Hell Freezes Over DTS to other Dolby Digital discs and that is where I found such a vast difference in leveling the bass.

I am going to try a few other DTS discs and see how it goes.

Maybe it is just the one disc (Hell Freezes Over) that needs to reduce the bass a lot.

Will report back soon.

Anyone else find similar things ?

Comment

• FernandoF
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
                          Level settings (aside from the multi-in sub-setup) have no effect on the multi-channel inputs.

Kevin D.
                          Hi Kevin,

That's what I initially though as well, but after some testing I could verify that the Level Settings (from the 'Test Tone' menu) do have an effect on the Multi-Channel inputs.

I guess this doesn't really "break the rules", since Level Settings are in fact just another volume control... Anyway, this is how it works on my 1056, do you think it may be different with the 1057 or 1068 ?

Fernando

Comment

• bleeding ears
                            • Nov 2004

As has been said, "DTS is always louder in bass" can anyone explain why this might be ?

Why would they record DTS with more bass compared to Dolby Digital ?

Comment

• Kevin D
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

I believe it has to do with reference levels. For Dolby Digital (and most internal test-tones), the the tone is 30db below reference level (the loudest possible sound on the recording). For THX specs, the main speakers need to be able to hit 105db, the sub 115db.

That's why a lot of people use 75db as their set level for test-tones. Set every speaker at 75db at X volume and you your full tone -30db down should produce a loudest sound of 105db. You need to then set your sub to show 85db (-30db down from 115db).

I want to say that DTS mixes there stuff with 10db of boost all ready added to the sub, so you would want all your speakers and sub to be set at 75db.

It's quite similar to the whole DVE vs Avia debate. DVE had standard test tones (75db for speakers, 85db for sub) Avia used test tones with 10db all ready added to the sub (so you would to set everything to 75db). In the end it didn't matter, you should end up with the same settings.

You can't do that with one set of main adjustments, so that's why they give you individual control for Dolby and DTS modes. Best bet is to get a disc with both tracks on it where you can switch back and forth and the fly. Bump up the Dobly setting and lower the main setting. Adjust to get the proper db from the internal test tones, then A/B Dolby vs DTS and keep lowering the DTS mode until they sound a like. If you can't lower it enough, bump the Dolby up and lower the main and start over. The plain crash scene on Flight of the Phoenix is a good disc to do this with.

Kevin D.

Comment

• bleeding ears
                                • Nov 2004

Thanks Kevin, you are a wealth of knowledge.

Us simple folk learn a lot here thanks to guys like you taking the time to explain things.

With the newer blu ray sound formats etc the questions are never going to end, in fact I will start a new thread in relation to the 1068 and blu ray players now.

As far as the subwoofer settings go I can now understand why they differ and it is good to know that it is not just my setup that will encounter this differential in sub settings. :T

Comment

• imbeaujp
                                  • Nov 2007

Thanks Kevin !
                                  Jean-Pierre Imbeau

ROTEL: RSP-1098|RT-1080|RCD-1072|RDV-1060|RLC-1040|RB-1080x2|RMB-1075
                                  PIONEER: ELITE PRO-940HD|BDP-HD1|inno
                                  YAMAHA: NS-1000|NS-1000M|CA-1010|CT-1000|TC-1000|YP-1000
                                  PEARLESS: XXLS-12x4|BEHRINGER DSP-1124

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"