X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chaochou
    • Mar 2008

RSP-1068 subwoofer problem

I purchased an RSP-1068 and RMB-1075 two years ago. They are hooked up to Paradigm monitor 11's, CC-370, ADP-370 and PW-2200 subwoofer. 90 percent of the time this system is used for TV and movies. About a year ago I noticed that the subwoofer was not always automatically turning on (up to 50 percent of the time). In most of these cases the subwoofer test tones were unable to trigger the subwoofer to turn on. I have my speakers set to small and the crossover set to 80 (note: I have maxed out all the 1068's subwoofer levels). The only way I have been able to solve this problem is by quickly turning the 1068 off and on. I have sent the unit to Rotel but they are unable to duplicate this intermittent problem. Also, the subwoofer has functioned normally when hooked up to several other systems. Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas?
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

If you turn your main amp off and crank the volume, will the sub eventually kick on? If you turn your sub auto-on feature off does the sub output always work?

Trying to figure out if it's a sensitivity issue on the sub input or a problem with the sub output on the 1068.

Kevin D.

Comment

• chaochou
      • Mar 2008

unfortunately, the subwoofer does not have an on/off setting. It's auto detection or nothing. The volume of the 1068 does not seem to trigger the unit to turn on. As mentioned earlier the only thing that seems to work is turning the 1068 off and then on again. I recently sent both the 1068 and subwoofer to Rotel for evaluation. They had the units for 2 weeks and were unable to reproduce the problem. Upon their return they worked perfectly for several weeks. I thought the problem was solved but the units soon began exhibiting the same problem. I don't know if I'll be able to figure this one out.

Chaochou

Comment

• Bostonears
        • Mar 2004

It seems that lots of subwoofers on the market have sensitivity issues detecting enough signal to turn on. (Why, oh why, don't sub manufacturers just use 12 volt triggers?) If a user has this issue, most subwoofer companies recommend turning up the subwoofer output on the preamp or receiver, then reducing the volume control on the subwoofer.

In the case of the 1068, that would mean going into Setup -> Test Tone, and raising the subwoofer setting. You might start with the maximum value (+9 dB) to see if it works. If so, you can then reduce it to the lowest setting at which it reliably triggers the subwoofer.

Also, to get the most signal strength from the subwoofer output on the 1068, connect both subwoofer outputs to your sub. (If your sub only has one input jack, get a Y-cable to connect both outputs to the single input.)

That should do the trick, unless of course there is a hardware problem with either your 1068 or the subwoofer.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"