• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fgkblacklabel
    • Jul 2011

Problem with DTS/DD RSX-1065

Hi all,

This is my first post :-)

I have recently bought a old RSX-1065. It works fine except when decoding DTS/DD and subwoofer is set to NO, I only have two large front speakers. When I do this a buzzing sound can be heard through the speakers and there is no bass at all. When subwoofer is set to yes it seems correct but since I don´t have a subwoofer it sounds terrible.
    When I change the mediaplayers output from digital to stereo everything works fine. My assumtion is that the RSX don´t have do any decoding and therefore it works perfectly.
    The firmware is version 1.2 and i will try to update it. Any other ideas?
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

You don't state whether you have a center channel or rear speakers or not?. VERY important info!!. I will tell you this,,,,, Rotel receivers DO NOT like 5.1 setups without the necessary 5.1 speaker setup. That kind of scenario requires a lot of extra processing that the Rotel is NOT very good at. At first, I did not have a center speaker and the results were marginal at best. Adding one made ALL the difference to the sound. If you want to do 5.1 surround, I STRONGLY recommend you get a sub, rears and a center channel for that application. Merci !!
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• fgkblacklabel
      • Jul 2011

I just have two large front speakers. No sorround, sub or center. For me it seems very strange if a reciever in this price range, even if it is old, can´t downmix a DTS track to stereo without any issues.
      I also have noticed that the reciever has that clicking sound when turning volume above 50. But i will try a firmware update and see what happens.

Comment

• hurin
        • Sep 2009

Try using these setting. You'll lose some of the sound, but it should work.

Front large, sub no, center no, surround small.

Comment

• fgkblacklabel
          • Jul 2011

I´ll try. Thx. Pretty strange though 8O

Comment

• fgkblacklabel
            • Jul 2011

Nope. Set sorround as small didn´t make any difference :roll:

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

Us the 2ch audio outs of your dvd player. then, play the Rotel in stereo bypass 2channel.

Comment

• fgkblacklabel
                • Jul 2011

I have done that and it works perfectly fine. But I´m pretty wrongheaded so I will keep looking for a solution to the real problem. I still haven´t tried a fw upgrade. Can´t find that %¤#¤%#¤% cable.
                I have fw 1.2 and according to all info I have read a fw can fix som problems for me an my RSX-1065
                Thx for your help :-)

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

The problem is this......dolby digital and dts are dedicated surround formats and designed to work that way. when you ask a processor to not do that, problems arise and performance is compromised. it's the nature of the beast. as stated before, use the rotel as a 2ch amp and use the analog outs of the dvd player to send the downmixed 2 ch analog sound to the Rotel.

Comment

• fgkblacklabel
                    • Jul 2011

Ok. Now I have another problem. Trying to update the firmware (from 1.2 to 1.3) but it says checksum error. Using a old Fujitsu with serial port and home made cable as discribed in another thread. Downloaded the fw from http://bwgroup-support.com/software.html
                    Any ideas? My reciever is stone dead at the moment.

Comment

• fgkblacklabel
                      • Jul 2011

The Rotel is still refusing to get the firmware updated. Write Fail....
                      I want to try update it with FW 1.1 or 1.2 but it seems impossible to find. Anyone who can help?

Comment

• Kevin D
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2002

I'm not sure why the update failed, but this was the first unit Rotel made that could be updated via software and you were pretty much at the release version.

To really enjoy the 1065 and have all the bugs fixed, you need to update the EEPROM on the unit. This was about $125 last I checked. If you are running any HD video through the unit, I highly recommend the HD video upgrade as the 1065 originally significantly reduced video quality. It's about a $225 upgrade, but includes the new EEPROM.

Kevin D.

Comment

• fgkblacklabel
                          • Jul 2011

When the vacation period is over here in Sweden I will take my Rotel to some audio service and see what they can do. For the moment it doesnt start at all :-(

Comment

• fgkblacklabel
                            • Jul 2011

Finally got my DIY cable to work. Some sort of bad connection in the RJ45 plug. Now I have got it working again and have ver 1.3. But still some problems. Everything works fine except DTS/DD buzing sound in 2 ch mode. But I have figured out that it works when setting either center or surround speakers to large. Small doesnt work it has to be set to large. Also figured out when having that setup I can press 2 ch button (DTS Down) and halleluja it works 100% correct. Still have the ticking sound when turning volume above 50.
                            But overall one step forward.
                            BTW changing FW and doing upgrade costs in Sweden 300 usd

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"