X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sithlord10
    • Apr 2003

1098 is back

I have finally got my 1098 back with the new software (2.1.1) installed . After setting it all up I've a question to ask. When playing DTS sources the only option I get with the Sur+ button are DTS Matrix and DTS XS. Does Dobly PL X2 work for DTS sources? I also noticed when switching from DD to DD EX or DPLX2 the rears went very loud during test tone setting. DD was lower but DPLX2 was louder even with the same volume settings and speaker settings. So far DPLX2 the back surrounds wont engage but with XS they do very odd. Can someone tell me if I'm doing something wrong. Thanks. It's great to have my system up and running again. Finally got to try my new Quest amp (2100Watts Bridged) for my SVS B4+ AMAZING. 8O

Ok update

With DTS the options are available for DTS+DPL2x but the back surrounds drop out nothing comes out. When I switch to DTS XS they work fine as before. Also with a standard DD5.1 source switching to either EX or PL2x the back surrounds wont work switch to XS they work. I dont know whats going on is this a fault with the new software? I can't believe I went through what I've been through only to have the main feature being PL2x not working :cry:
  • jfinneru
    • Nov 2003

in dts mode I think I got the option between:
    dts downmix
    dts
    dts+ xs
    dts+ PLIIx C

brgds joern

moderator norwegian avforum
    brgds joern

moderator norwegian avforum

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

Sithlord10,

Good to see you have the beast back

I'll try to help but I'm struggling a little to be sure about a couple of the points you raise to answer them properly. However it sure sounds frustrating!!!

When playing DTS sources the only option I get with the Sur+ button are DTS Matrix and DTS XS. Does Dobly PL X2 work for DTS sources?
      I get DTS DPL IIx Cinema and Music for normal DTS disks. For DTS-ES 6.1 disks - DPL IIx isn't available (new V4.0 wishlist item)

I also noticed when switching from DD to DD EX or DPLX2 the rears went very loud during test tone setting. DD was lower but DPLX2 was louder even with the same volume settings and speaker settings.
      I am guessing you are using external test tones on a 5.1 disk rather than the RSP-1098's internal test tones - which (on my RSP-1098 at least) seem to be unaffected by any surround setting - just pure test tones at -30 dB. If it is external test tones and you are talking about a 3db increase then this is a common issue - EX on 6.1 or 7.1 introduces 1 or 2 extra channels and working out what to do with these can confuse some processors that try and matrix process the test tones, creating an extra signal in one of the centre back speakers - doubling the power giving a 3db volume increase?. If you are talking about something else then you'll need to clarify...

So far the centre back surrounds wont engage but with XS they do very odd.
      I don't understand - Do you mean for ALL sources or just DTS?

With DTS the options are available for DTS+DPL2x but the back surrounds drop out nothing comes out. When I switch to DTS XS they work fine as before. Also with a standard DD5.1 source switching to either EX or PL2x the back surrounds wont work switch to XS they work. I don’t know what’s going on is this a fault with the new software? I can't believe I went through what I've been through only to have the main feature being PL2x not working
      This doesn’t sound right at all. Fellow Australian whmacs had something similar – here Stephen needed to press SUR+ and change mode to get the 2 channels working when starting from any of the DD modes. This went away overnight with a power off and a normal DD 5.1. disk (weirdness!)

Geoff

Comment

• whmacs
        • Oct 2003

Hi Guys,
        Its great to hear that your RSP-1098 is back Sithlord and functioning again.
        Well my problem of not getting any sound out of the back two speakers unless I press the SUR+ is back again even though the RSP-1098 reports DD + PLIIx M on the status screen. This has only started happening since the upgrade to v2.1.1. Last night we watched two new release DVD's; Agent Cody Banks and Basic. In both cases I had to press the SUR+ button and toggle to a different surround mode to get the back speakers to start working. In my case I can toggle to any mode (EX, XS, PLIIx C or PLIIxM) and the back speakers will kick in. In my previous post I put on a Robbie Williams Music DVD and I automatically got sound out of the back two speakers so I thought the problem was solved, but now its back again. All disks where DD 5.1 so I'm not sure what's going on now. I'm going to report it to the Australian Distributor on Monday. It sounds very similar to what Sithlord is experiencing. Could anyone else confirm?

Thanks,
        Stephen

My Home Theatre
        My Home Theatre

Comment

• Sithlord10
          • Apr 2003

Well after more testing I've come to the conclusion that the software update has not been performed properly on my 1098. On any 5.1 source EX and DPL2x will simply not engage my 2 rear back channels. They only work with Discrete ES or EX and 5.1 with XS on. I've turned the unit off at the back left it no difference. I can't believe even International Dynamics (Local Importer) couldn't get it right they clearly didn't test it before sending it back to me. Well guess who will be getting a call first thing Monday.

I just reinstalled software 2.1.1 and I'm getting the same results. On closer listening and switching I'm only getting stereo while watching tv through the video when switched to Dobly PL11xc or M. My main rears get nothing. Clearly the install of the software or the Eprom update has not worked so it will have to go back AGAIN :evil: to get fixed. Otherwise everything else is perfect. I think a new 1098 is in order.

Comment

• Olaf
            • Nov 2003

Stephen,

Please note my post in the other thread about V2.1.1 errors in a 7.1 setup. I have exactly the same problem as described by you. The rear speakers do not work in the default mode selected by 1098 (even when it says DD+EX or DD+XS or DD + PLIIx) unless you switch modes back & forth. I have tried everything from re-installing V2.1.1 multiple times, re-installing V1.1.6 (multiple times), re-applying EPROM update etc etc.

I believe there is definitely a bug in V2.1.1 when used in a 7.1 setup and possibly also a bug with DD+EX flagging. The same DVD (EX listed)sometimes plays as DD+EX, other times as DD+PLIIx and some times as DD+XS.

Personally I downgraded to V1.1.6 :x because I hate to have to manually fiddle every time I play a DVD.

Regards, Olaf

Comment

• whmacs
              • Oct 2003

Hi Olaf,
              I saw your post on the other thread, thanks for all the hard work doing the problem analysis.
              Sithlord, I tried digital TV last night (using a Strong 5290 STB) and the sound type was PLIIx Cin and I was getting sound through all speakers automatically, so it does sound like there is still a problem with the way your upgade was done. I'll also talk to International Dynamics on Monday, so after that we should compare notes. After your issues and what Olaf has found I would like to submit a format bug report to Rotel Japan.

cheers,
              Stephen

My Home Theatre
              My Home Theatre

Comment

• Sithlord10
                • Apr 2003

Sounds good to me. At least you get DPL11x when you click on the Sur+ button when I do that it shows DPL11x but I get nothing from the back rears even when I select EX as well. They only work with XS or Discrete material both DD-EX and DTS-ES. Oh well only a new unit will satisfy me now. :f>'>

Comment

• Olaf
                  • Nov 2003

Sithlord/Stephen,

Some further update that may be of interest to you both.

My DVD input setup lists DD + PLIIx as the default sound format.

When I insert the troublesome Star Wars Episode II disc, the introduction plays fine on ALL channels and the 1098 shows DD + PLIIx.

Only when I actually start playing the movie the sound mode automatically changes to DD+XS (automatic format selection by the 1098) and the rear speakers stop working.

To me this implies that the intoduction music + menu are coded in normal 5.1 channels (not EX) and this apparently is not a problem.

So my gut feeling tells me it is a combination of DD+EX that appears to be causing a problem. You could wonder that if the disc is not flagged why the 1098 does not default to DD+PLIIx.

Sithlord, while I appreciate your frustration I wonder whether a new unit loaded with V2.1.1 will rectify the problem.

I will send an e-mail to my local support in India and one to the European global support desk.

Regards,
                  Olaf

Comment

• Sithlord10
                    • Apr 2003

Having a new unit will mean it will have the latest board and cirrus chip as Geoff pointed out and may solve all our problems. Aussie Geoffs 1098 works fine with the new software so why doesn't the rest? It has to be older models that are the problem. I was one of the early ones to own the 1098 and I believe Aussie Geoff received his a bit later (Geoff can you confirm). Anyway all I know is that my unit isn't working with the new software put on by Techs who apparantly tested it before I got it back. :roll: I wont know more until I contact them and see what my options are. I'm leaning towards a new unit or a full board replacement.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"