X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiofiyle
    • Jan 2009

Will Rotel build another 1090??

Hi everyone, this is my first post to Htguide Rotel forum. I currently am running 2 Rotel amps in my system right now. The 1080 driving my Dynaudio
    focus 220's, and a 1075 driving my center and surrounds, and a pair of Niles
    out on my deck. Here's the deal, I want to setup a second 2 channel system in another room for just music, and considered buying another Rotel.

What happened to the high current powerhouses Rotel used to make? I know some of you will tell me about the class d amps. I'm not interested. Is that the direction Rotel is heading towards? Does anyone feel the class D amp sound is inferior to the analog stuff? I'm afraid to even start thinking about the class D stuff. Thanks
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Does anyone feel the class D amp sound is inferior to the analog stuff?
    Yes. It's (Class D) probably more cost-effective than the "old" amps at that output level , but I prefer big , high current , analog amps. Even if I can't afford 'em.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Hi audiofiyle,

Courtesy of htsteve...

Nigel.

Comment

• funnycar
        • Jul 2005

Audiofiyle:
        Depends on what you are looking for
        I just spent one month with a $3000 Bel Canto S500 ICE module amp. I currently own 3(three) RB 1090s. I A/B'd one 1090 against the S500. Save your money and buy a used 1090. The ICE modules run out of gas when trying to drive N804s above 75 dB. The ICE module is a neat idea and with B&O modules selling @ <$150 to OEMs, expect to see them everywhere. It takes exceptional equipment to hear a real difference but it is there. I suspect big AB amps will go the way of tube & class A amps...to hi end boutique mfg.

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by bigburner

Not trying to point out, but that's a lot of money for the old RB-1090, if you notice it doesn't have the updated binding posts on it... I'd hold out for a used one on Agon that is the updated 1090 model with the newer binding posts. Just my opinion.

The 1090 is a BEAST of an amp for the price! :T
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• Zoran
            • Apr 2005

A few months ago (Sept. 25), in topic named "A taste of the new 15xx Series" I wrote this:

Getting insight into the approaching Rotel gama, I must say a few words: I am immensely happy being a RC-1090/RB-1090 owner...

Goodby Rotel...

Until one beautiful day, likely many years ahead, when some Rotel krell-like fully balanced two-channel big amp will be unveiled...

AV processors, multiamps and ICEs are certainly not things that hold me in audio. So sad place became this one...

I own now a pair of Krell Evo 400 monoblocks, but being a die-hard fan of the RB-1090 this one remains a keeper! I would sell him only if another, bigger and better Rotel arrives someday...

Comment

• Legairre
              • Jan 2002

FWIW I was considering changing to the ICE amps as well and my dealer let me take home a 1085 for a weekend. I swapped out my RMB-1095 and moved in the 1085. The 1085 is nice but 100wpc less than the RMB-1095 so it wasn't really a fare comparison. The 1085 couldn't equal the RMB-1095's bass. I compared them both with music only with my fronts set to large so they could get a full range signal.

For me I'm sticking with the big RMB-1095. Maybe the higher wattage class D amps will fair better in the bass, but the 1085 is all my dealer had to lend.
              "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
              Radden Home Theater

Comment

• audiofiyle
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by funnycar
                Audiofiyle:
                Depends on what you are looking for
                I just spent one month with a $3000 Bel Canto S500 ICE module amp. I currently own 3(three) RB 1090s. I A/B'd one 1090 against the S500. Save your money and buy a used 1090. The ICE modules run out of gas when trying to drive N804s above 75 dB. The ICE module is a neat idea and with B&O modules selling @ <$150 to OEMs, expect to see them everywhere. It takes exceptional equipment to hear a real difference but it is there. I suspect big AB amps will go the way of tube & class A amps...to hi end boutique mfg.
                Funycar, you are right. They are starting to pop up everywhere. Just last night I was reading through the new Absolute sound equipment guide, and breezing through the amp section, I couldn't believe how many manufacturers are building amps with this technology. Jeff Rowland is selling a few in the $10,000 plus range!! I really should keep an open mind
                and listen to a few first, but I just can't get out of my head that an amp should have a big transformer, and weigh a ton. LOLOL I feel like I am not getting my moneys worth with some lightweight ICE module amp, but again
                it should really be about the sound.

I must say that i am very impressed with the Rotel product. I have 2 of there amps, and the 1068 preamp. I feel like these components perform as
                well as some components 3 or 4 times there price. I just hope they don't forget about the guys who like to heat the room with there amps.
                They should also offer a bigger class a/b 2 channel amp than the 200watt 1080.

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Legairre
                  FWIW I was considering changing to the ICE amps as well and my dealer let me take home a 1085 for a weekend. I swapped out my RMB-1095 and moved in the 1085. The 1085 is nice but 100wpc less than the RMB-1095 so it wasn't really a fare comparison. The 1085 couldn't equal the RMB-1095's bass. I compared them both with music only with my fronts set to large so they could get a full range signal.

For me I'm sticking with the big RMB-1095. Maybe the higher wattage class D amps will fair better in the bass, but the 1085 is all my dealer had to lend.
                  You should hear the difference with the 1090 over the 1095. It makes the 1095 seem like the 1085. :rofl: Except the 1090 is pure speed and tightness. It's the first amp that I've owned that I felt that the AMP is controlling the speakers, not the speakers controlling the AMP. :E
                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                  -Dan

Comment

• Legairre
                    • Jan 2002

I can't even argue this point :M . I've been a fan of the 1090 ever since I was able to compare it to the 1095 at my dealers about 5 or 6 years ago with the same source components and speakers. I was simply blown away at how much better the 1090 was than the 1095. My only problem was I needed 5 channels and the cost of a 1090 and smaller Rotel amps for everything else was out of my budget.

I'll gladly tip my hat and bow down ;x( to the 1090. It truly is the king. Don't get me wrong the 1095 is an incredible amp especially with it bi-amped to my fronts and the 5th channel used for my center(dual RB-1050s for sides and backs), but the 1095 will always take second place behind the great 1090 :T .

Hail to the king
                    Last edited by Legairre; 12 January 2009, 23:50 Monday.
                    "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
                    Radden Home Theater

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"