X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Claw
    • Apr 2005

No audio through HDMI (RSX1058)

As you may know through some previous posts, I purchased an RSX-1058 HT receiver. I've been playing around with it for the past few days and have run into some problems.

With my PS3 hooked up directly to my display via the HDMI cable, I'm getting excellent picture and some sound.

However, when the PS3 is connected to the 1058 to the display, I'm not getting any audio from the 1058. I am getting 1080p from the PS3, but no matter which selection I make on the Rotel for audio input, I'm not getting any sound passed through from the PS3.

I'm wondering if this is the same bug that Johan is alluding to here:
    As many of you may, or may not be aware there have been some issues concerning the highly anticipated RSP 1069. If you were not aware of the issues and have this processor, or if you dont have it and are thinking about getting it the information below should be something you read and understand. The following is a list of

How do I check what version of firmware I've got?

I emailed Rotel support yesterday, haven't heard back from them yet. I'll give them a call today.

Also, intermittently I was playing WipeoutHD and Burnout Paradise, all blacks would flicker and go green. As well, occasionally (I'm guessing during the resolution changes, audio changes, etc), the screen would flicker and the Samsung LCD would say "Searching for source." Again, this only happens when the PS3 is hooked up via the Rotel 1058.

What's the proper technical term for this so I can describe it to the Rotel guys? Is it something that can be remedied?

Thanks in advance..
  • Legairre
    • Jan 2002

The "searching for source" is fine during resolution or source device changes. During this time everything must re-sync. During WipeoutHD and Burnout Paradise are you going straight to the display or through the 1058? If your getting flickering it sounds like (proper techinical term since you asked) a "handshake" issue or the 1058 does not pass HDMI untouched.
    "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
    Radden Home Theater

Comment

• kmcheng
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Claw
      However, when the PS3 is connected to the 1058 to the display, I'm not getting any audio from the 1058. I am getting 1080p from the PS3, but no matter which selection I make on the Rotel for audio input, I'm not getting any sound passed through from the PS3.
      That's strange. I have an 1069, which has a similar setup. In the setup menu, I use HDMI 1 as the video source and then I select HDMI Audio as the audio source for the connection to my PS3. I also select HDMI Bypass as "On" in the 1069.

Did you check the settings on the PS3? On the PS3 itself, I set it to output multi-channel PCM via HDMI. Since you get sound when connecting directly to the TV, I doubt the PS3 setting is your problem. However, it may be worth a try if you have not done this already.

Also, my 1069 seems to be quite picky about the HDMI cable it is connected with. The cable that comes with Comcast works in the direct connection between my source and the display, but the very same cable does not work when it is connected with the 1069. The video was largely out of scale and shows only green and white colors with heavy flickering on the TV. I am not sure if it is because of a wrong version of HDMI or if the cable is just bad, but replacing the cable is something you may try as well.

Comment

• Legairre
        • Jan 2002

Also for your HDMI audio problem in the Video/HDMI menu is the 1058 set to AMP MODE or TV MODE. When going through the 1058 it should be set to AMP MODE. If in TV MODE nothing is output through the 1058 speaker terminals.
        Radden Home Theater

Comment

• Claw
          • Apr 2005

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a look when I get home and get back to you.

Comment

• rcrcr
            • Jan 2009

I am having the exact same issue.

RSX-1058.

Sony DVD player (DVP-NS700H) connected to the Rotel via HDMI.

AMP Mode is set in the Video/HDMI menu.

Picture displays, but no audio.

Please help or advise if you can. I don't know how to solve this one.

Rotel RSX-1058:

Sony DVP-NS700H:

Comment

• Claw
              • Apr 2005

For the HDMI cables, I'm using some new HDMI cables I just got from Monoprice.

I've tried a few things:

PS3 -> (HDMI) -> Samsung TV:
              . Everything works, including stereo sound
              . No screen jitter, no "Searching for Source" where the game blacks out to the Samsung display

PS3 -> (HDMI) -> Rotel RSX-1058 -> (HDMI) -> Samsung TV
              . No sound
              . In Wipeout, GT5 Prologue, and Burnout, I get "Searching for Source" every now and then, game still goes, but I end up crashing, very annoying
              . Green flicker every now and then, where green replaces all blacks on screen

I'll try a few other HDMI cables tonight as well, and will try to get some settings info in my next reply.

THanks,
              Last edited by Claw; 10 January 2009, 00:44 Saturday.

Comment

• Johan Hendrix
                • Nov 2008

Dear "Claw",

Your Rotel has to be in "AMP" mode for the HDMI audio, that's for sure, but if it does not have the correct hardware and software versions, HDMI audio is simply not working.
                Rotel can tell you whether or not you have the correct hardware if you give them your serial number, and depending on the hardware version, you need a certain software version.

In mine, I could not choose HDMI bypass in the HDMI setup before the upgrade, and now I can and that's the setting I use (together with AMP mode). After the upgrade, I could pass 1080p/24 images and HDMI audio worked. Before, no 1080p/24 pass-through and no HDMI audio.

I had the upgrade done end december. Now my receiver is back with the dealer. I experience a 100Hz hum when I connect a source device (BD or dvd player) through both HDMI and analog at the same time. The hum is audible for all input choices, not only the source coupled with both HDMI and analog.
                I do the connection this way this since the dvd-player is doing everything through HDMI, except for SACD that goes through the analog cables. The following solutions were tested, but nothing helped:
                * other cables
                * other mains (two sites in Belgium, one in Netherlands)
                * connecting source and amp chassis
                * earthing amp chassis
                * adding an isolation transformer
                * everything done with only the amp and one source device, no display device, no sub.

Since mine was the first with the hardware upgrade in Benelux, the dealer and service center did not know whether the hum is correlated to the upgrade.

Comment

• rcrcr
                  • Jan 2009

So it sounds like the no audio through HDMI issue is a firmware bug?

(1) How can I tell what firmware version I have?
                  (2) How can I obtain the latest firmware?
                  (3) How do I upgrade the firmware? (Mac only)

Comment

• Johan Hendrix
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by rcrcr
                    So it sounds like the no audio through HDMI issue is a firmware bug?

(1) How can I tell what firmware version I have?
                    (2) How can I obtain the latest firmware?
                    (3) How do I upgrade the firmware? (Mac only)
                    I cannot confirm whether it is firmware alone or not. I got hardware and software update at once, so I cannot tell what made the difference. Maybe your Rotel support can.
                    You can read your software versions by connecting to a display through RCA (composite video out) and pressing the mute button for a while. After a while, software versions of some modules are dispayed on the Amp, but not all. All software module versions (general / audio / video) are displayed on the display.

Comment

• rcrcr
                      • Jan 2009

I spoke with Rotel phone support, who didn't really have much info to offer on the matter. They simply diagnosed it as a hardware malfunction and referred me to my dealer to have them put in an RMA request on my behalf for a unit replacement.

Comment

• Johan Hendrix
                        • Nov 2008

I spoke with Rotel phone support, who didn't really have much info to offer on the matter. They simply diagnosed it as a hardware malfunction and referred me to my dealer to have them put in an RMA request on my behalf for a unit replacement.
                        Maybe people at Rotel know that htis can only be solved through the hardware upgrade. In that case, arrange everything via your dealer.

What country are you from? For Belgium and the Netherlands, the service for Rotel is done by www.hanexservice.nl

Comment

• rcrcr
                          • Jan 2009

USA. My dealer is in NYC. I'll let you know how things go...

Comment

• Claw
                            • Apr 2005

Canada.. I called the local dealer but they claim all the updates are installed. I did not buy it from them, so I'm not sure how willing they'd be to help me...

I'll give the guys I bought it from a call as well.

Comment

• Claw
                              • Apr 2005

I just had a thought. The PS3 is connected to HDMI 1. I recall reading through the manual that I cannot have anything connected to Optical 1 (or am I misquoting something)?

I have the CD player connected via TOSLink to Optical 1 - I'll try to move it to Optical 3 to see if that helps.

Comment

• rcrcr
                                • Jan 2009

Now the dealer is saying that I have to bring the unit in, so that they can "prove" the unit is defective, even after Rotel tech support diagnosed it as such, and asked me to contact the dealer so that they could file an RMA for me. What a pain.

If anyone has advice on how to ease this process, I appreciate the tips.

Thanks.

Comment

• Johan Hendrix
                                  • Nov 2008

I just had a thought. The PS3 is connected to HDMI 1. I recall reading through the manual that I cannot have anything connected to Optical 1 (or am I misquoting something)?

I have the CD player connected via TOSLink to Optical 1 - I'll try to move it to Optical 3 to see if that helps.
                                  I think you can use optical 1 while using HDMI 1. You can select HDMI one and HSMI audio for video 1, and select optical 1 as input for CD.

Comment

• Johan Hendrix
                                    • Nov 2008

Now the dealer is saying that I have to bring the unit in, so that they can "prove" the unit is defective, even after Rotel tech support diagnosed it as such, and asked me to contact the dealer so that they could file an RMA for me. What a pain.

If anyone has advice on how to ease this process, I appreciate the tips.

Thanks.
                                    The dealer is the one that must ship your Rotel to their local service center, so you cannot avoid him.

Comment

• Legairre
                                      • Jan 2002

When I had a fuse had blow in one of my RB-1050 amps a few years ago my dealer(spearit sound in MA.) asked me if I'd like him to send it or if I'd like to ship it directly to the service center myself. He said it really didn't matter since the service would take place at Rotel's center in MA. and it would be just as quick either way.

Contact Rotel service and asked them for an RMA so you can ship it directly to them. Sure you'll probably pay the shipping to them but they will pay for the shipping back to you.
                                      Radden Home Theater

Comment

• Claw
                                        • Apr 2005

Here's my revision numbers:

Main: 1.1.8-071122
                                        Audio: 1.1
                                        Video: 1.44

If 071122 is a date, sounds like I'm pretty far behind.

Comment

• rcrcr
                                          • Jan 2009

Can anyone confirm what the latest firmware is on this unit? I am having a heck of a time trying to determine that.

My unit is apparently:

v1.1.5 - 071016
                                          Video 1.41

I don't know how Claw got an audio version. Mine doesn't seem to display that.

If this HDMI audio issue is simply a question of firmware, that would be great. I am just having trouble determining what the latest firmware is, and how to get it.

Comment

• Claw
                                            • Apr 2005

rcrcr,
                                            I did as Johan wrote in a previous post... but instead of a composite cable, I just selected the HDMI1 output for video, and the version numbers appeared on screen (on the big TV, not the digital display on the 1058).

As noted in prior posts, I'll let Rotel (or my dealer) do the patching.. too risky to do it myself, and I doubt there's a Mac client for updating anyways..

Comment

• Kevin D
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Oct 2002

1.1.8 and 1.47 are the latest versions.. All but the the earliest models have DSP 1.1 installed.

Kevin D.

Comment

• rcrcr
                                                • Jan 2009

Kevin:

Know how I can obtain this firmware version? It doesn't seem to be posted on rotel.com.

Also, any tips on the install process? I am Mac-only, but if I absolutely have to, maybe I can track down a PC laptop to borrow.

I am wondering if simply updating to this firmware might solve the HDMI audio issue being tracked in this thread. That might be alot easier and quicker than replacing the unit, which Rotel wanted to do.

Comment

• Claw
                                                  • Apr 2005

Well, reading on the previous posts:

Firmware is dependent on hardware/modules, and vice versa.. if getting the newest firmware on there and you don't have the required hardware boards, you might brick your RSX.

Personally I think it's wise to let Rotel handle this.. but if you really want to try to do it yourself, you go right ahead!

Comment

• Claw
                                                    • Apr 2005

Sent Rotel 3 emails, no response.

Called 3 times, left voicemail. They call back during my lunch breaks.. are there only like 2 people working at Rotel's helpdesk or something?

I wish I can return the unit.. I'm disappointed.

Comment

• rcrcr
                                                      • Jan 2009

I am still trying to track down a link to the latest RSX-1058 firmware, which Kevin identifies as 1.1.8/1.47. It does not seem to be on rotel.com. Anyone?

Comment

• Claw
                                                        • Apr 2005

No offense rcrcr, but read some posts around here - it's been well established that they have not published their firmware for the RSX-1058.

Comment

• Claw
                                                          • Apr 2005

I've shipped my 1058 back to the dealer.. if the replacement still doesn't work, I'm returning it.

Comment

• artv4
                                                            • Jun 2007

i hope it works out for you
                                                            GO Revel!!!!! (powered by ;x( Anthem)

Comment

• Claw
                                                              • Apr 2005

Me too.. the replacement arrived via UPS today.. can't wait to get home to try it out!

Comment

• Claw
                                                                • Apr 2005

Dangit, same problem! Must be something I'm doing wrong.

Comment

• Claw
                                                                  • Apr 2005

Here's some screenshots of the Rotel setup:

Comment

• Claw
                                                                    • Apr 2005

Well, this is now a non-issue.

Seems that unplugging the HDMI cable that goes from the 1058 to the Samsung LCD gives me sweet Audio.

I just don't know how to tell what it's receiving.

Here's the quote from Shane Kea:
                                                                    I just got through testing this and the receiver did receive this type of format and played them without any problems. I used a PS3 as my BD source and had 4 different discs. First I used “Underworld Evolutions” and selected PCM 5.1 uncompressed via the HDMI cable and the 1058 recognized it as a multi-channel signal at 48kHz. Next I used “Young Guns” and selected DTS HD audio and the 1058 received the signal the same as before. Next I used “300” and selected Dolby TrueHD and the 1058 received the signal the same as before. Finally, I used “Waiting” and selected 7.1 PCM Audio uncompressed and the 1058 received the signal the same as the previous 3 tests. My conclusion is that it does definitely accept the formats and provides you with the audio output according to the format. Hopefully this is the information that you required to finalize your decision.
                                                                    When watching The Dark Knight in TrueHD, the unit displays "Multi-Channel" signal at 48KHz.

The big problem around this is that the PS3 will have to go to the LCD using component cable, and the PS3 will only output BD movies at 1080i. Not really ideal, since spending the $$ on the LCD was for 1080p goodness.

Comment

• stu420
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Feb 2009

I'm having exactly the same problem, no audio through HDMI!!

from the first day i got my rsx-1058 the HDMI-2-port had no audio (but i only needed 3 HDMI-ports out of 4, so i had no problem with it). But since today, also the HDMI-4-port has no audio, and this is a serious problem. I'll be calling my dealer tomorrow and i hope he can help me.

some extra info: I'm from Belgium and i have my rsx approx. one year. i don't know my firmware version.

Comment

• rcrcr
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2009

I shipped my RSX-1058 to Rotel for a firmware upgrade (the paperwork says they also upgraded the HDMI PCB hardware), and this resolved the issue.

Comment

• Johan Hendrix
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • Nov 2008

I shipped my RSX-1058 to Rotel for a firmware upgrade (the paperwork says they also upgraded the HDMI PCB hardware), and this resolved the issue.
                                                                          Can you please check on the "hum" problem I had after the upgrade (see post 8 in this thread). My RSX 1058 was sent in in January to correct this, and no news since then.

Comment

• Claw
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Apr 2005
                                                                            • 41

For what it's worth (sorry for "bumping" my old thread), I replaced the 1058 with a Pioneer Elite SC-05 and couldn't be happier.

Kevin, you may lock or close this thread..

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • Oct 2002
                                                                              • 4601

#39
                                                                              For what it's worth (sorry for "bumping" my old thread), I replaced the 1058 with a Pioneer Elite SC-05 and couldn't be happier.

Kevin, you may lock or close this thread..
                                                                              I'll wait untill 2-3 people chastise you for going with something that makes you happy.

Enjoy, it's what YOU hear that's important!

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                              Search Result for "|||"