X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rcrcr
    • Jan 2009

Troublesome HDCP Issue with RSX-1058 - Please Help

Hello:

I am having an annoying issue with a newly purchased Rotel RSX-1058.

Currently I have this unit connected to a non-HDMI Fujitsu plasma display via component cables.

I have a non-HDMI Sony DVD player (NS999ES) connected to the Rotel via component cables.

The problem is as follows: Menus and unprotected content on DVDs play back fine through the RSX-1058 to the plasma.

But, at settings of 720p or above, as soon as a movie or other apparently "protected" content begins to play on the DVD, the screen goes black.

I understand that HDCP protected content from HDMI sources won't be output on the component out of the Rotel.

HOWEVER, as I mentioned above, the source here is an old school component DVD player connected to the Rotel via component cables, not HDMI!

If I disconnect the component cable between the Rotel and the DVD player and reconnect using an S-Video cable, the symptoms are the same: menus and and "free" content displays, and other content produces a black screen.

Why is this happening? How can I work around it?

I don't understand why an analog signal would be selectively blocked from output on the component output of this Rotel for DRM reasons. Has Rotel gone too far with their HDCP implementation on this unit? Is this a bug? Would an another brand DVD player work better?

How is the Rotel even detecting "protected" content over an analog link?

I'd appreciate any guidance or advice on this issue. I am in a bit of a corner on this one.

Thanks.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

You will need to set the unit to 480p when on the DVD player. The 1058 always runs the non-HDMI inputs through the scaler. An ever increasing number of DVD's are coming with a 'no scaling without HDMI' flag. When this happens the 1058 is not allowed to scale it past 480p over anything but the HDMI output.

Of you course you will have to switch it back to 720p/1080i when done or it will down-scale any of your HD sources ran through.

Your best bet is to pick up an HDMI to component box that strips HDCP. The HD-Fury2 should work fine.

You might try enabling HD BYPASS in the menu. I'm pretty sure it only bypasses the HDMI inputs, but it might leave the incoming component resolutions alone letting 480p from the play just pass through.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"