X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Claw
    • Apr 2005

1058 or 1550?

I am in the process of upgrading my HT receiver. My dealer has the new 1550 on special for $1900 CDN, and the outbound 1058 for $1400 CDN.

Am I right in that I'll be losing out on the HDMI 1.3a interface, but everything else is essentially the same?

This will be hooked up to:
    2x B&W DM604S2 Mains
    B&W LCR6S2 Centre
    2x DefTech ProCinema 200 Rear
    TBD Subwoofer
    Playstation 3 for BD and Gaming
    Samsung LN55A950 LCD

I dropped by the local Rotel dealer today and he said that with the PS3 being the source, it's capable of outputting at a certain standard that with the Rotel I can enable the HDMI bypass so that the signal from the PS3 isn't processed, so as to use the PS3 to process audio. Or something like that..

If that's the case, I can save myself the $500 and spend that towards something else, like a subwoofer..

What's the general consensus - is it worth the $500 premium to get the latest and greatest?

Thanks in advance,
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Claw
    What's the general consensus - is it worth the $500 premium to get the latest and greatest?
    Probably. The 1550 does video upscaling, and decodes the new HD audio formats. Yes, you could use the 1058 and save some money, but its an outgoing model. The 1550 is brand new (tech wise) and should last you a little longer.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Claw,

I tend to agree with mjb. The premium in price is worth it. You get the video upscaling and the HD audio formats. I have these in my setup and they are truly outsdtanding. However, you don't have a sub. So that is a critical piece that is missing, especially in HT. I'm thinking that getting the 1058 plus a sub might be overall a better improvement for your system.

Also, with the 1058, there will be external inputs. You could get a BR player that decodes onboard and outputs the HD formats via RCA's. It will also upscale legacy DVD's. Just an idea.

Dealers often have recent model subs at really good prices. Check with your dealer. Maybe you can swing a package deal.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Claw
        • Apr 2005

Thank you.

My Playstation 3 currently doubles as both a gaming platform and a BR player. As far as I understand, it does do onboard decoding of most of the HD formats, and also does a pretty good job as an upscaling player.

I picked up a Klipsch Sub12 yesterday at Best Buy. Came home, hooked it up, played with the settings for a bit but felt like I was missing something. My local Rotel/B&W dealer was suggesting an ASW7-series subwoofer, but I'm not sure that will be sufficient. More research is required.

Thanks - I'll definately be thinking about the 1550/1058 today!

Comment

• htsteve
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

[QUOTE=Claw]Thank you.

My Playstation 3 currently doubles as both a gaming platform and a BR player. As far as I understand, it does do onboard decoding of most of the HD formats, and also does a pretty good job as an upscaling player.
          QUOTE]

Claw,

The PS3 definitely does these things. The scaling should work. However, the 1058 will only accept analog inputs, which the PS3 does not have output versions of. So the HD audio formats would not be available with the PS3.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• hifiguymi
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2007

I'd point you towards the RSX-1058. The only thing you may not get is auto lip sync that is part of the HDMI 1.3 spec. I'm not sure if the PS3 does it or not. Maybe someone with one knows for sure and can chime in on that. Both mjb and htsteve mention the scaler in the RSX-1550 but I wouldn't hang my hat on that with the TV you have. On the RSX-1058 you can bypass the scaler and the RSX-1550 you can't. Either way you are looking at a really nice receiver so let us know what you decide to get.

Eric

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by htsteve
              Claw,

The PS3 definitely does these things. The scaling should work. However, the 1058 will only accept analog inputs, which the PS3 does not have output versions of. So the HD audio formats would not be available with the PS3.

Hope this helps.
              Steve,

The RSX-1058 has HDMI inputs and will accept the decoded HD formats from the PS3 over it no problem. In fact, since the PS3 cannot bitstream the formats, he would have the same sound with the 1550 or 1058.

Kevin D.

Comment

• htsteve
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Kevin D
                Steve,

The RSX-1058 has HDMI inputs and will accept the decoded HD formats from the PS3 over it no problem. In fact, since the PS3 cannot bitstream the formats, he would have the same sound with the 1550 or 1058.

Kevin D.

Kevin,

Thanks for the reminder. I must have been thinking of an older model.

Claw,

Given this information, then I think the decision just jot easier. Go with the 1058 and get a sub. that would be a very nice upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Claw
                  • Apr 2005

Kevin & htsteve,

Thanks - you've simplified the decision big time. I'm going to go back and get that 1058 later this week.

Comment

• Claw
                    • Apr 2005

Last question - as mentioned in another thread there were some bugs or issues with another Rotel device. Does this exist in the 1058?

Are there any compelling reasons I should NOT get the 1058?

I looked through Kevin D's firmware thread, I was unable to find new firmware for the 1058 - does updates still happen for it?

Thanks again,

Comment

• hifiguymi
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2007

I have had a few issues with HDMI handshakes using the RSX-1058. It seems to be older displays however. Whenever I've sold one and the person has a current display and sources it's been fine. Most everything else has been taken care of.

I wouldn't say there are any compelling reasons not to get the RSX-1058. The only thing would be auto lip sync as I mentioned before and I don't see that as compelling.

As for firmware updates, Rotel still supports the RSX-1058. They haven't put them on their website because there are three different things in the RSX-1058 that have their own firmware. Rotel wants customers to have dealers do the upgrades so there is less chance of trying to load the wrong firmware.

Eric

Comment

• artv4
                        • Jun 2007

last month i had the same dilemma. i would either choose the rsx-1058 or the 1550. my current sources are the ps3 and an oppo dv983h. the rsx-1058 was able to use the lpcm from the ps3 for the hd formats (dolby/dtshd). i did not have any intent to purchase a stand alone bd player, so, i went with the rsx-1058. works flawlessly!!!!! i get dolby hd perfect. i say go with the rsx-1058 and save for a new sub. pref velodyne!!!! you will not be disappointed. also, my dealer here in va was able to sell my 1058 for under $1200.
                        GO Revel!!!!! (powered by ;x( Anthem)

Comment

• Claw
                          • Apr 2005

Awesome, thanks guys. I'm going to pick it up this afternoon.. I'm so excited!

If I use HDMI pass through for one of the HDMI inputs, does this also enable pass through for the other inputs? Say down the road if I were to buy a PVR or cable box?

I was looking at the Velodyne SPL1200R sub - I was 30 minutes too late as the place that was selling it here was blowing them out on Boxing Day.

Comment

• artv4
                            • Jun 2007

Awesome, thanks guys. I'm going to pick it up this afternoon.. I'm so excited!

If I use HDMI pass through for one of the HDMI inputs, does this also enable pass through for the other inputs? Say down the road if I were to buy a PVR or cable box?

I was looking at the Velodyne SPL1200R sub - I was 30 minutes too late as the place that was selling it here was blowing them out on Boxing Day.
                            GO Revel!!!!! (powered by ;x( Anthem)

Comment

• Claw
                              • Apr 2005

Thanks, I'm in Canada though..

Comment

• cdika17
                                • Oct 2008

Which store in Calgary were you dealing with? Smart home?
                                Chase

---------------------------------------------------
                                Rotel RSP-1570, Rotel RMB-1575, B&W N805's, B&W Nautilus HTM2, APC H15, Mitsubishi HC7000 PJ, 110" Carada Brilliant White, SVS PCUltra 13, SVS AS-EQ1 Subwoofer EQ, Wadia 170i transport. Stay tuned, HTPC build coming!

Comment

• Johan Hendrix
                                  • Nov 2008

Last question - as mentioned in another thread there were some bugs or issues with another Rotel device. Does this exist in the 1058?

I looked through Kevin D's firmware thread, I was unable to find new firmware for the 1058 - does updates still happen for it?

Thanks again,
                                  Please read my post in the following thread:

I got the known issues but they are solved in the meantime. Just make sure that you have the right hardware and software versions.

Comment

• robert L
                                    • Jul 2008

;x(
                                    Originally posted by artv4
                                    last month i had the same dilemma. i would either choose the rsx-1058 or the 1550. my current sources are the ps3 and an oppo dv983h. the rsx-1058 was able to use the lpcm from the ps3 for the hd formats (dolby/dtshd). i did not have any intent to purchase a stand alone bd player, so, i went with the rsx-1058. works flawlessly!!!!! i get dolby hd perfect. i say go with the rsx-1058 and save for a new sub. pref velodyne!!!! you will not be disappointed. also, my dealer here in va was able to sell my 1058 for under $1200.
                                    Hey artv, if im not mistaken your quote is B&W powered by rotel yet your recommending a velodyn sub over a asw750 ,whats up, the 750 is sick!

Comment

• Johan Hendrix
                                      • Nov 2008

Thanks again,
                                      The reason that the firmware is not freely avialable is written down in the post below. They don't publish the software to avoid problems there.
                                      Last edited by Johan Hendrix; 12 January 2009, 14:42 Monday.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Johan Hendrix
                                        The reason that the firmware is not freely avialable is that the required software version is hardware-version dependent. They don't publish the software to avoid problems there.
                                        Technically, this is not the case. The software works fine on any version. The HDMI bypass option in the software does however does do different things depending on what hardware version you have.

The main reason for not releasing the software is that it is actually three different upgrades that may have to be done, with three different sets of instructions, and three different chances to screw up.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"