X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rpgonzalez
    • Apr 2008

My Rotel RSX-1058 review

I couldn't find any, so here's my 2 cents.

Ok, so I read a thread:

Originally posted by rwallace7
    I was told by a trusted friend that the Rotel 1058 was one of the most musical and outstanding receivers on the market. I s there anything else out there that compares to it that has a similar refined musical sound? Only 75 watts per channel, it's hard to believe. However, the $1999.99 price tag is something to consider. By the way, is it available in all black?
    And then a reply stated:

Originally posted by rocky1
    I just disconnected my rotel rsx1056 since i'm going to the marantz sr8002(on order).The 1056 sounds great.I have had minor issues as have others,but they are minor firmware usually fixes it.The rsx1058 to my understanding has some issues with hdmi and scaler as does their processor and there is no firmware fix.I dont believe they pass the new audio codecs unless you connect via analogs.If you can get a 1056 get it it is a fine reciever.The 1058 is not worth the price for what you get or dont get.My .02
    I had seen the press on the new Rotel that featured HDMI audio and video. The Arcam AVR-350 can't, and that really upset me when I tried it out. I saw a RSX-1058 on clearance for $1300 at Ken Crane I thought it MSRPed for $1999. I was intrigued. Why not? They have a 7 day return.

Connection was as expected. HDMI in, in, out. I just bought a PS3, and the fact that over the last month I went from HD DVD player, XBOX 360 and regular DVD player had me all excited. After hook up, the menu was simple enough. I had the video and audio "working" as soon as I turned the Rotel, TV and PS3 on. IT WORKS! Yes, I was getting True HD from my new Fifth Element Blu-Ray disc. Before a test, I needed to configure everything.

So I went to work programming the Harmony remote, adjusting channel levels, labeling inputs, connecting the rest of the equipment and having a short complication with trying to understand the bass management. On goes the Blu ray first for a test. I am a 80% 2-channel music junkie. I was just teasing myself with the movie! So the movie sound was great. Duh. True HD. No need to continue with this point. It sounded squeaky clean... As far as video. What else can I say? The video passed through in 1080P. It looked as you would expect with Blu-ray. Perfect.

OLD SOUND:
    I tried the HK avr645 HDMI receiver a year ago. Aside from the avr 645 sounding harsh to me in the higher ranges, it just simply did not work with the Toshiba HD-A1. This issue has been discussed; the HDMI pcm signal was not being processed and the center channel was rendered useless. That took a good 72 hours of my life away trouble shooting that. They promised a firmware update...

I had a Marantz sr7500. It was very analytical to me. Sterile. The Direct mode sounded the best, but still had bass extension problems (for me). It had to go.

I tried an Arcam integrated A85 for awhile, loved the sound, but I missed HT.

I found sonic 2CH nirvana in an NAD t762 reciever. That did me well for awhile, despite having an annoying hum. This NAD did way better than any receiver mentioned above when reproducing 2CH audio. NAD really does make some good sounding stuff.

NEW SOUND:
    As soon as I listened to the Rotel for the first time (hooverphonic: sit down and listen) I had a good first impression. This is my first night with the Rotel, so Im just getting used to her sonic signature, but so far so good.

At first I noticed the excellent channel seperation. The spacing around instruments and the wide sound stage it casts reminds me of the Arcam AVR-300, my all time most favorite piece of equipment. This is in bypass mode (all processing off, incl. the Sub). In the Stereo mode, it is slightly more compressed. I noticed this same thing with my Marantz, but this time it's different.

The Rotel has the most beautiful bass extension and accuracy I have heard in a receiver (like the Arcam). The Marantz needed a subwoofer to help for some reason. Don't know why. The Rotel needs nothing in this department. I helps that I run the paradigm studio 60's that go low enough. Even so, the Rotel brings out the best of the sub 100Hz frequencies more so than any other receiver before it. The highs are so clear and reproduce sound with such wonderful accuracy. The only thing that I am still analyzing is the midrange dynamics. Dynamics in the midrange seem... flat. Perhaps the lows and highs are *slightly* exaggerated? I cant tell yet. I'll update. The Rotel has a bass and treble adjustment, but you are not "allowed" to make big changes. Maxing it out produces a subtle difference. The manual even says, "Dont even mess with our sound fool." ... or something like that.

The onboard DACS are pretty good. This is what I expect from high end british electronics. The DACs are the first to come close to my outboard heavily modded Art Di/o DAC... when the Rotel is in STEREO Mode (not bypas). Unfortunately, there is no "bypass" when using the optical inputs, so you are stuck with Stereo Mode. My outboard DAC allows an analog connection that in turn allows the use of the "bypass" button. Which, of course, is the best option for soundstage and spacing.

REMOTE:
    Easy review. It sucks. Don't expect to use this thing. They MUST be using the same remote they designed 20 years ago.

SUBWOOFER: A few notes to perspective owners regarding bass management. In sub setup --> subwoofer = yes and speakers = LARGE, kiss the subwoofer goodbye for music. All the bass is directed to the Large speakers. LFE in movies works fine. Subwoofer = max is the best choice when using speakers = large, and then use the sub's x-over. The Rotel disables all x-overs with this set-up. Actually, you can customize the heck out of this according to surround mode, but I havent played with that yet. Ok, time for bed. Cheers.
  • cxc21
    • Mar 2008

Not sure I ubderstand. Could you explain this? " Unfortunately, there is no "bypass" when using the optical inputs, so you are stuck with Stereo Mode. My outboard DAC allows an analog connection that in turn allows the use of the "bypass" button. Which, of course, is the best option for soundstage and spacing. " If you connect to optical in you get only stereo, not 5.1? Thanks

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

cxc21:

You can't bypass a digital signal to your speakers... hence why there's not by-pass feature on an optical connection, the processor has to decode the signal into 2/5.1/whater.

rpgonzalez:

Just give yourself some time with the processor, to me it took my Rotel gear about 2 weeks of use to really start to open up and really appreciate the sound. The mid range will come into its own by then.

-Dan
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• rpgonzalez
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by PewterTA
        cxc21:

You can't bypass a digital signal to your speakers... hence why there's not by-pass feature on an optical connection, the processor has to decode the signal into 2/5.1/whater.

-Dan
        yup! All digital EVERYTHING is shut off in bypass.

Comment

• rpgonzalez
          • Apr 2008

Im sitting here listening. If you like clean, articulate low bass extension, the Rotel is worth it!

PS I love the black!
          Attached Files

Comment

• YoVinny
            • Dec 2007

Heyu RP, Had the 1058 a couple months back, Loved the sound but just didnt function correctly too many quirks. I had HDMI problems with my DTV receiver and my TV it didnt like the Toshiba. I returned it after a month and while I was there there was a BMW/ROTEL Rep there my sales guy asked about it and he said it was not a firmware but a hardware issue and had to go back to the factory to get corrected. Believe me if it had worked I would have kept it, I got a Denon 4308 and a Rotel 1075 to power it. Good Luck

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"