X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jagguy
    • Jun 2009

Rotel 1058 or 1052?

As many of us are, I'm trying to figure out which component is the best for me. I'm a music guy that likes HT. What I mean by that, is simply that I critically listen to music, but like HT sound that is "good enough". "Good enough" means any newer receiver that accepts the HD audio codecs (bitstream OR PCM) will do. I move quite a bit, so the more minimal the equipment, the better. Separates is not very practical right now. So finally, I get to the point... Has anyone out there compared the 2 channel sound of the Rotel 1052 to the 1058? I currently have the 1052 with B&W 703's, and I am extremely pleased with the sound coming out of a receiver. There are a couple minuses though. No digital inputs, and no real use for HT. The 1058 has fewer watts, but it is an HT receiver that has versatile use. I have heard there are a few issues with the HDMI in the 1058. My options are either:

1. Keep the 1052 to use strictly for 2 channel and get a cheaper brand (pioneer, HK) receiver for HT, OR

2. Get the 1058 to use as an HT receiver and 2 channel receiver.

I tried to keep this post short, so I may have left out some info. Bottom line, I'm just curious if anyone has been able to compare the 2 channel sound between the 2. I realize that is a subjective question, but any input will help. I like the sound of Rotel and can get the 1058 for a decent price and don't want to fork out the $$ for the new 1550. Thanks.
  • artv4
    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Jagguy
    As many of us are, I'm trying to figure out which component is the best for me. I'm a music guy that likes HT. What I mean by that, is simply that I critically listen to music, but like HT sound that is "good enough". "Good enough" means any newer receiver that accepts the HD audio codecs (bitstream OR PCM) will do. I move quite a bit, so the more minimal the equipment, the better. Separates is not very practical right now. So finally, I get to the point... Has anyone out there compared the 2 channel sound of the Rotel 1052 to the 1058? I currently have the 1052 with B&W 703's, and I am extremely pleased with the sound coming out of a receiver. There are a couple minuses though. No digital inputs, and no real use for HT. The 1058 has fewer watts, but it is an HT receiver that has versatile use. I have heard there are a few issues with the HDMI in the 1058. My options are either:

1. Keep the 1052 to use strictly for 2 channel and get a cheaper brand (pioneer, HK) receiver for HT, OR

I tried to keep this post short, so I may have left out some info. Bottom line, I'm just curious if anyone has been able to compare the 2 channel sound between the 2. I realize that is a subjective question, but any input will help. I like the sound of Rotel and can get the 1058 for a decent price and don't want to fork out the $$ for the new 1550. Thanks.
    go for option 2. im currently using the rotel-1058 for both 2 channel and ht. i mainly use it for ht. it accepts the pcm codec from my ps3 for the new hd formats. i really have not had any issues with the hdmi. just a scaling issue with my mac mini which my dealer had updated in the 1058. the 1550 was an option, though, i didn't need the receiver to decode the hd codecs since im using the ps3. saved so much money!!! plus i kinda like the way the older model looks. those handles on the side of the 1058 come in handy. the rotel produces such as warm detailed sound for both ht and 2 channel. see if your dealer will allow you to test the gear in your home!!!
    GO Revel!!!!! (powered by ;x( Anthem)

Comment

• TommyV
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Jagguy

I have not compared the two but before you even talk about moving to HT, have you factored in buying a matching B&W 700 series Center Speaker like the HTM7? On top of that you will need some nice rear surround speakers (I use Axiom QS8s w/ my B&W front stage) plus a quality subwoofer. So that is conservatively aprox $2k USD including tax/shipping worth of speakers you will need to buy just to have a surround setup that is worthy of mating up with your 703s. You need to decide that before you even think about what you are going to use to power them.

You said you do not want a bunch of components because you move a lot, well a surround speaker setup is a bunch of components and you need the right room and places to position the rear speakers properly and install them so they look clean.

If you are ready for all that then definitely the 1058 would be a great buy. Don't go buy some junky HT receiver. Stick with the Rotel. If you can get a good price on the 1058 grab it. The HDMI problems have all been solved. If you want more power later you could always add an amp down the road. The 1058 does an excellent job on 2ch so you would not need to keep your 1052 if you go that route.

If you are not ready to drop all that cash on speakers, which is the much bigger consideration than 1058 vs 1052, then just stick with your 1052 and 703s and be happy. That is a nice 2ch setup.

I am a music guy who loves HT as well. I have both. I love listening to music in my HT as well though. There is my best advice to you. Good Luck!

Comment

• cylonsilva
        • Aug 2009

I can't get my RSX 1058 to accept HDMI audio!

Originally posted by artv4
        go for option 2. im currently using the rotel-1058 for both 2 channel and ht. i mainly use it for ht. it accepts the pcm codec from my ps3 for the new hd formats. i really have not had any issues with the hdmi. just a scaling issue with my mac mini which my dealer had updated in the 1058. the 1550 was an option, though, i didn't need the receiver to decode the hd codecs since im using the ps3. saved so much money!!! plus i kinda like the way the older model looks. those handles on the side of the 1058 come in handy. the rotel produces such as warm detailed sound for both ht and 2 channel. see if your dealer will allow you to test the gear in your home!!!
        I cannot get audio out of my rsx 1058 through the HMDI cable. I have to connect an optical cable for audio. I tried with my PS3, my Oppo 983H and with a recent Panasonic Bluray player. It is annoying, as I would like to connect a PC with only an HMDI output. Does anybody know whether I am doing anything wrong or is it my equipment that is too dumb?
        Thanks

Comment

• hifiguymi
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cylonsilva
          I cannot get audio out of my rsx 1058 through the HMDI cable. I have to connect an optical cable for audio. I tried with my PS3, my Oppo 983H and with a recent Panasonic Bluray player. It is annoying, as I would like to connect a PC with only an HMDI output. Does anybody know whether I am doing anything wrong or is it my equipment that is too dumb?
          Thanks
          Do you have the HDMI audio set to amp and have the proper HDMI input set for the input you are selecting (like Video 1 for instance)?

Eric

Comment

• cylonsilva
            • Aug 2009

Hi Eric

Thanks,
            Yes. Set to AMP. Checked and rechecked other parameters. Video out thru HDMI, no problems. But if I set Audio input to HDMI Audio it goes sound dead. Same for every other piece of equipment I have connected (Panasonic, PS3). If I connect with optical cable, sound is perfect.

Comment

• hifiguymi
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2007

That is a new one on me. I've not had that happen so you should check with tech support. The e-mail is techsupport@bwgroupusa.com and copy the posts here so they know what you've tried.

Eric

Comment

• cylonsilva
                • Aug 2009

Hi Eric

Thanks again. Will do.

Cylon

Comment

• BWLover
                  • Jan 2009

I got my 1058 with a pair of B&W 683's and loved it. I later moved on to separates (RC-1082 RB-1080) because i found myself more into music then movies. The 1058 has a pretty damn good 2 channel bypass and lots of power. Don't let the numbers fool you, that's hi current power. I had a pioneer HT before that rated at 125 watts and the Rotel outperformed it. I had no issues with the HDMI (sound or video) The only reason I moved up is i wanted the best i could get for 2 channel from Rotel (10 series) My 1058 is up for sale http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...rotel_rsx1058/ Also B&W dumped the 700 series.
                  Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
                  Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
                  Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
                  Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                  Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
                  Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
                  Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
                  Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
                  Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
                  Playstation 3
                  Shaw HD PVR
                  Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"