X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • windmiller
    • Sep 2007

Connections for External Amp to RSX-1057

I've got a new 5 x 200w amp I want to use with my RSX-1057. I need to connect the amp to the pre-outs on the 1057 but I cannot figure out if I use just one or both of the outputs on the 1057, they are labeled as L & r. So front L and front R. The RCA inputs on the amp is just one per channel so I am confused about how to wire it. So there is 2 RCA outputs per channel on the 1057 and 1 RCA input per channel on the amp.
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by windmiller
    I've got a new 5 x 200w amp I want to use with my RSX-1057. I need to connect the amp to the pre-outs on the 1057 but I cannot figure out if I use just one or both of the outputs on the 1057, they are labeled as L & r. So front L and front R. The RCA inputs on the amp is just one per channel so I am confused about how to wire it. So there is 2 RCA outputs per channel on the 1057 and 1 RCA input per channel on the amp.
    windmiller,

There is one set of inputs for a source device (like DVD player). As you look at the back panel, these are in the middle, a bit towards the top. To the right of it it says (vertically) 'multi inputs'. There are 8 RCA's in this grouping. These are NOT what you want. The PRE-OUTS are located to the right of these. There are 10 RCA's in the preout group, and it sits a little below the multi inputs. Teh preouts are just above the computer I/O port and to the left of the speaker binding posts.

In a typical 5.1 set up, you want the left (top row) and right (bootom row) mains (far left side), the center 1 RCA (top row, second from right), the rear channels, left is top row, second from left. The right rear is just underneath it. Your sub will hook into sub1, far right, top row.

Use good quality RCA cables and connect to the corresponding inputs on your amp. The connect your speaker cables.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• windmiller
      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by htsteve
      windmiller,

There is one set of inputs for a source device (like DVD player). As you look at the back panel, these are in the middle, a bit towards the top. To the right of it it says (vertically) 'multi inputs'. There are 8 RCA's in this grouping. These are NOT what you want. The PRE-OUTS are located to the right of these. There are 10 RCA's in the preout group, and it sits a little below the multi inputs. Teh preouts are just above the computer I/O port and to the left of the speaker binding posts.

In a typical 5.1 set up, you want the left (top row) and right (bootom row) mains (far left side), the center 1 RCA (top row, second from right), the rear channels, left is top row, second from left. The right rear is just underneath it. Your sub will hook into sub1, far right, top row.

Use good quality RCA cables and connect to the corresponding inputs on your amp. The connect your speaker cables.

Hope this helps.
      That does help but what I am still not clear on is that these RCA outlets you are referring to require 2 plugs (I would assume Left and Right) but on the amp there is only 1 RCA outlet so do I use y-Adapters?

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by windmiller
        That does help but what I am still not clear on is that these RCA outlets you are referring to require 2 plugs (I would assume Left and Right) but on the amp there is only 1 RCA outlet so do I use y-Adapters?

windmiller,

There are no inputs or outputs that require 2 plugs. You want to connect one RCA to the front left pre-out. Then connect the other end to the left input on the amp. Then connect an RCA to the right front output on the 1057 and the right front input on the amp, and so on.

Here is a link to the owners manual for the 1057 (in case you don't have it).
        Page 4, area labelled #25.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Nuthed
          • Jan 2007

You will use 1 RCA cable per channel. Use 1 cable to connect the front, Left output on the 1057 to the front, left input on the amp, and so on.

Are you perhaps looking at the multi input jacks on the 1057? They are just to the left of the outputs. Ignore the inputs.

To connect a 5 channel amp you will use 5 RCA cables.
          Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
          RB980-BX driving mains
          Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
          Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
          Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
          SVS PB-12

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"