X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thezone
    • Jun 2008

RMB-1095 XLR & RCA inputs

Hi,

Can someone please help. If I connect both the rca and xlr inputs on the above amp at the same time how does the unit switch between the two if it recevies a signal from both as there is no switch?

Is this an unwise move? I am trying to fix my no ht bypass on my stereo pre-amp problem.

So the set up would be 1069 pre/pro uses the rca inputs for front L & R on the 1095 for ht etc, bryston pre-amp uses the xlr inputs for front L & R for cd playing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    RSP-1570
    RMB-1095
    Primare PRE-30
    Yamaha CD-S2000
    Technics SL-1200MKII
    Pro-Ject Tube Box II
    Dynaudio Contour S3.4's
    Dynaudio Contour SCX
    2 x M&K V75 subs
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

It doesn't switch, its either / or, not both
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• thezone
      • Jun 2008

Yes but if they are both connected at the same time which one does it take? I mean if I am sending a signal to the 1095 from the 1069 the 1095 knows to be on from the 12v trigger. Once the 1069 is turned off the 1095 also turns off. How then can i induce a signal from another source with the xlr connectors? Do i need to turn the 12v switch at the back of the 1095 to OFF?
      RSP-1570
      RMB-1095
      Primare PRE-30
      Yamaha CD-S2000
      Technics SL-1200MKII
      Pro-Ject Tube Box II
      Dynaudio Contour S3.4's
      Dynaudio Contour SCX
      2 x M&K V75 subs

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

It doesn't decide, both are connected. If you were to hook up both sets of cables, the impedance of the connections would most likely no longer be correct even with only one source playing at a time.

Best case is you would get degraded sound from both pre-amps. Worst case is you blow something up.

Kevin D.

Comment

• thezone
          • Jun 2008

I would have thought if it was something as serious as this it would mention it in the manual or have a switch as in other rotel gear which has both xlr and rca connectors. EG RC-1090
          RSP-1570
          RMB-1095
          Primare PRE-30
          Yamaha CD-S2000
          Technics SL-1200MKII
          Pro-Ject Tube Box II
          Dynaudio Contour S3.4's
          Dynaudio Contour SCX
          2 x M&K V75 subs

Comment

• mjb
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

How is this "serious"? If you want to switch sources, use an external device such as a pre-amp with input selection.
            - Mike

Main System:
            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• thezone
              • Jun 2008

I don't think that you read my post. I want to hook up two different pre-amps at the same time, one with xlr and one with rca in to the same channel on the 1095. I want to know hwta happens if the 1095 receives a live signal from both simultaneously. Will it shut off? Will it just pick one over the other? If it does pick one over the other will the resultant sound be degraded?
              RSP-1570
              RMB-1095
              Primare PRE-30
              Yamaha CD-S2000
              Technics SL-1200MKII
              Pro-Ject Tube Box II
              Dynaudio Contour S3.4's
              Dynaudio Contour SCX
              2 x M&K V75 subs

Comment

• Gianluca
                • Oct 2008

You can't do that..I believe the RCA and XLR are connected together internaly, except that the XLR has a second feed comming from the source in order to have 2 signals to compare and thus remove any noise picked up between the source and amp. If you do what you state you would basically connect both sources together and probably break something.

Gianluca
                Sharp Aquos 40" 1080P| Rotel RSX 1056 | Classé CA-150 | Oppo BDP-83 | PS3 | APC H15 | B&W 603 S3 | B&W LCR 600 S3 | B&W 602 S3 | Sunfire True Sub Signature |

Comment

• mjb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by thezone
                  I don't think that you read my post. I want to hook up two different pre-amps at the same time, one with xlr and one with rca in to the same channel on the 1095. I want to know hwta happens if the 1095 receives a live signal from both simultaneously. Will it shut off? Will it just pick one over the other? If it does pick one over the other will the resultant sound be degraded?
                  I did read your post. Perhaps you didn't read the replies. Again, the two inputs: XLR and RCA, are effectively in parallel and always active. You'd normally choose to use one OR the other, NOT both simultaneously. If you choose to use both input ports at the same time, the input impedance will be effected (probably halved), both source signals will be MIXED together. The 1095 will not shut off unless it over-heats, or current trips.
                  - Mike

Main System:
                  B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• djk33
                    • Mar 2009

The rca and xlr's do not "mix" the inputs if you feed different active signals on the rca and xlr at the same time. You would effectively be driving the input of your preamp (which is not active) with the output of the active preamp. You could look at it as the rotel amp connectors as a pass through connecting the outputs of your two source components. I would expect the amp to survive this if the output voltages are relatively low since the input impedance of the amp is high, but you may blow the output of your inactive preamp, which has a relatively low output impedance.

Darin

Comment

• thezone
                      • Jun 2008

Thanks to all for help and contirbutions. I solved this problem by buying a primare pre30 pre-amp which has ht bypass.

Cheers!
                      RSP-1570
                      RMB-1095
                      Primare PRE-30
                      Yamaha CD-S2000
                      Technics SL-1200MKII
                      Pro-Ject Tube Box II
                      Dynaudio Contour S3.4's
                      Dynaudio Contour SCX
                      2 x M&K V75 subs

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"