X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

Rotel phono pre

This weekend I upgraded to the RC-1082 from my RC-1070. Got 25% off of retail without asking. Anyway, this will be used in my analogue setup with a Rega P7 TT and Dynavector DV20XH cartridge. The onboard phono stage sounds good to me but I am wondering what else I may be missing - I have never had a separate phono stage. My limit would be about $500 - will that get me any improvement in sonics over the RC-1082 pre? :lol:
    Last edited by miner; 15 December 2008, 10:09 Monday.
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

Anyone care to help/comment?

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Looking for tubes or SS? Either way , most of these are pretty good. http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-S...4Pa38Ta38Tb3v0

I'm using this http://www.needledoctor.com/Bellari-...2&category=401 and it seems to be a pretty decent 'lil phono pre.
      Last edited by Alaric; 13 December 2008, 15:22 Saturday. Reason: more info
      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Both the Bellari and the Cambridge Audio are getting V good reviews from real users over at Vinyl Asylum.

The Bellari allows for tube ‘rolling’ so you can fine-tune the sound to your system.

Are you using the higher output cartridge or the low output version of that cart? If I am correct, the 'H' disignates the HO version with 2.5 mV output. That is bit on the low end for MM's, and you may benifit from a phono pre with higher gain.

Rotel is known for having good phono sections in their pre’s, but, most times you get better performance from a separate unit. In the $500 range, I would expect you will hear an improvement over the Rotel. Your Rega and Dyn cart should be able to provide V good resolution, those are both competent pieces of equipment.
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• miner
          • Mar 2005

Yes, it is a HO version @ 2.5mV output. I have read that Bellari's will roduce a hum with Regas since the Regas do not have an external ground wire. I am close to making a deal on a JoLida JD 9A tube phono pre.

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Ooh, V nice. Good choice IMHO.
            Lots of flexibility, well regarded manufacturer.
            I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the difference.
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"