X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frank1203
    • Apr 2006

Phono Pre-Amp Connection Question

Hello, I am in the process of relocating some of my HT equipment from my Family Room to my basement (power equipment) or to the rear of my Family Room (DVD; CD; Phono).

One of the pieces that is moving is my Phono. I currently run the Phono using a Rotel Phone Pre-Amp connected to my RSX-1056. I would like your opinion on how to run the wiring for the relocation of the equipment. The way I see it, there are two options. Option 1 - Locate the Phono pre-Amp directly with the phono upstairs, so there is a very short run between the phono and pre amp, but there would be a 30 ft. run between the pre-amp and the 1056 in the basement; Option 2 - total opposite which is to locate the phono pre-amp in the basement with the 1056, which gives us a short wiring run between the 1056 and the preamp, but a 30 ft. run between the 1056 and the actual phono. Opinions on which way to go as I want the best sound and connection. Thanks.
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

IMO, neither. RCA ICs are not intended for long runs. For long runs you need balanced outs which are not an option for you. You will NEED to keep phone and pre close to your other equipment.

Comment

• frank1203
      • Apr 2006

I appreciate and understand your comments, but keeping the phono close to the other equipment is not an option as the the 1056 will be located in the basement and the phono will remain upstairs in my family Room for easy access (similar to my CD / DVD player). What other options can anyone offer.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

The pre-amped signal (post amp) would be better suited for the long run, rather then the un-amped phono signal.

Kevin D.

Comment

• frank1203
          • Apr 2006

Kevin, not sure if your answer follows my Option 1 or Option 2. Please clarify. Thanks.

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Option 1, phono amp next to the phono player..

Kevin D.

Comment

• miner
              • Mar 2005

You may be able to find some RCA ICs in the 30' range. When I was looking for some long-run ICs for my sub the longest I found were 22' and made by 'M' {} If not, Doug could probably make you some.

Comment

• frank1203
                • Apr 2006

Thank you. My custom installer will make the required cables himself so finding the correct wiring length will not be an issue.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"