Video thru' HDMI and audio thru' RSP-1068??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ATellis
    • Oct 2004

Video thru' HDMI and audio thru' RSP-1068??

OK, so I'm trying to figure out how I can use an upscaling DVD player to display 1080p video on my new HDTV, while still trying to route the DVD audio thru' my super Rotel RSP-1068 processor/amplifiers and speakers.

Can I use HDMI connections from the DVD player into the TV directly (just for video) and still route audio thru' the Rotel processor to my 5 speaker setup?

Any suggestions or confirmation that this can be done?
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by ATellis
    OK, so I'm trying to figure out how I can use an upscaling DVD player to display 1080p video on my new HDTV, while still trying to route the DVD audio thru' my super Rotel RSP-1068 processor/amplifiers and speakers.

Can I use HDMI connections from the DVD player into the TV directly (just for video) and still route audio thru' the Rotel processor to my 5 speaker setup?

Any suggestions or confirmation that this can be done?
    yes you can. Just us the Coax or optical output from the DVD to the 1068.

Comment

• ATellis
      • Oct 2004

Sorry--I'm kinda new at this.

So, I connect the DVD player to the 1068 via coaxial or optical cable and then the 1068 to TV via coaxial/optical as well? Does that preserve upscaling? The TV I'm getting is the newest Sharp Aquos Oct 2006 model with "true" 1080 p (whatever that means!)

Am I correct in understanding that you suggest I ignore HDMI altogether?

Thanks so much!

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

No you still use HDMI to the TV set, plus you use optical/coaxial to the 1068.

Optical/coaxial is audio only, HDMI has audio and video. With no HDMI on the 1068 you will just be using HDMI for video.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Blindamood
          • Sep 2003

Since you're routing the sound through your processor, you'll also want turn your tv's speakers all the way down, or some allow you to even disable the tv's internal speakers altogether.
          Brad

Comment

• ATellis
            • Oct 2004

Got it--Brad and Kevin, many thanks! Might post again if I can't figure it out once the new TV and the new DVD player (still notional!) arrive.

Ashley

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"