X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Help with HDMI audio problem please

A friend has asked me to help him with an audio problem that is outside my area of expertise.

My friend has recently upgraded his plasma to a 1080p Samsung. Immediately he started experiencing audio problems when playing DVDs on his OPPO 981. The problems are skipping and volume fade. Video is not affected. The OPPO is connected via HDMI to his NAD T785 receiver, which is connected via HDMI to the Samsung.

He has tried the OPPO with another receiver (via HDMI) and it works perfectly. There are no problems playing CDs (digital coax) or TV (satellite set top box connected via Component) through the NAD. We have therefore concluded that the DVD problem is HDMI related.

Can anyone suggest a fix for this problem?

If an HDMI fix cannot be found, would it be possible for him to run video from his OPPO via HDMI and audio via digital coax? Do receivers generally allow this?

NAD T785 - http://nadelectronics.com/products/a...Sound-Receiver

OPPO 981 - http://www.oppodigital.com/dv981hd/dv981hd_index.html

Samsung PS50A550 - http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/d...XXY&fullspec=F

Thank you.

Nigel.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by bigburner

If an HDMI fix cannot be found, would it be possible for him to run video from his OPPO via HDMI and audio via digital coax? Do receivers generally allow this?
    Nigel.
    My receiver is an older Denon so I have to run audio via digital coax from my Panasonic BD30 Blu-ray player and run video via HDMI to my 1080p projector. In the Panasonic player there is a place in the menu where you turn off HDMI audio. If the Oppo player also allows HDMI audio to be turned off, I don't see why he cannot run HDMI for video and Coax digital for audio.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
      My receiver is an older Denon so I have to run audio via digital coax from my Panasonic BD30 Blu-ray player and run video via HDMI to my 1080p projector. In the Panasonic player there is a place in the menu where you turn off HDMI audio. If the Oppo player also allows HDMI audio to be turned off, I don't see why he cannot run HDMI for video and Coax digital for audio.
      Thanks George.

Nigel.

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Good evening Nigel,

I also use a HDMI cable for video in addition to a digital coaxial cable for my DVD player (Pioneer Elite AVi 59), and it works well. I would definitely like to run one single cable to cover both audio and video, to untangle my spaghetti mess, but my receiver is HDMI video capable only.

Perhaps you can check to see if there is a firmware upgrade for the NAD T785 receiver or contact NAD tech support to check for any compatibility issues. Just my quick thoughts.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Thanks Azeke. A firmware upgrade or contacting NAD tech support are both good ideas.

Nigel.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"