RSP 1069 Strange issue - Any Suggestions?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chanlon
    • Sep 2003

RSP 1069 Strange issue - Any Suggestions?

I just purchased a new Rotel 1069 processor at a great clearance price. Unfortunately, I have been unable to display a satellite TV image correctly.
    I have my satellite receiver (motorolla/starchoice 530) connected using a DVD-HDMI adapter to HDMI input 1.
    It displays the source but not correctly. In other words, I can see the image but the colors and tint are incorrect.
    The image looks like how an incorrectly connected component video signal would look. I've tried different HDMI cables and inputs on the unit. No luck.

I have the video output selected in the Rotel menu as 720P - the native signal of my Panasonic Plasma.
    The Bypass feature is selected as "Yes" The Motorolla receiver is on "native" resolution mode.
    I tried both HD and non-HD TV channels. This did not fix the issue. I even tried selecting the video output on the Rotel as 480P to see if this makes a difference. However it did not.

Once I turn the Bypass feature to "No" the picture displays correctly.
    Thus, the bypass feature is causing the image to not display correctly?.

However, I want to use the bypass feature, cause IMO the scaler is terrible in this unit.

Any suggestions?
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Hmm.. Sat box works fine when connected directly to the TV?

Kevin d.

Comment

• chanlon
      • Sep 2003

Yes, it works fine when connected directly. I'm lost.
      I emailed Rotel this morning (8 AM) and have not heard back.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Do you know if there's a setting in the sat menu on what type of HDMI to output? Either RGB, YPbPR 4:2:2, or YPbPr 4:4:4?

Kevin D.

Comment

• chanlon
          • Sep 2003

Unfortunately there is not a setting to adjust.
          I'm wondering does it have to do with the DVI-HDMI converter since its really a DVI output on the satellite receiver?

I may be forced to go direct to my TV with a component video connection. Although, I can't understand why the Rotel doesn't handle the video correctly.
          Its basically replacing all black with green and orange.

I'm looking to check the firmware on the unit.
          I can't find the instructions or firmware updates for this specific unit on the Rotel site. Do you know how and where to look?

Thanks again Kevin for all your help.

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Sounds like the negotiation with the the TV through the 1069 (with bypass set to on) is telling the Sat to display the wrong color space. With bypass turned off, the negotiation for color space is directly with the 1069 and it gets it right..

The latest scaler firmware is 1.4.7. Hold down mute and it will display what firmware you have. The firmware is a little more complex to update, so the files are not on Rotel's site.

Kevin D.

Comment

• 77engineer
              • Mar 2003

Kevin

I am a little confused with your last post. How do you get the latest version of the firmware for the 1069 if Rotel does not have it on the website?

Comment

• JDH
                • Sep 2004

It probably has to be updated by a Rotel Dealer or Rotel direct with service fee for the upgrade.

JDH.

Originally posted by 77engineer
                Kevin

I am a little confused with your last post. How do you get the latest version of the firmware for the 1069 if Rotel does not have it on the website?
                Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by 77engineer
                  Kevin

You can actually email them and they might send it out. It's more involved then previous units and they don't want just everyone to have access to it.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Ken49r
                    • Dec 2007

It appears that I too have a similar problem with my HD cable box. (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD)

I purchased the RSP-1069 a week ago and all connections worked fine using HDMI. (PS3, Cable Box, OPPO DV-980H) up until last night. I was watching "3:10 to Yuma" on the PS3 and after the movie was over I switched on the cable box only to see the Rotel and cable box not wanting to cooperate with each other. Watching the display screen on the RSP-1069 I kept seeing it would get the signal and then drop it again. On the TV display it would flash pink intermittently. I tried moving the cable to a different HDMI input and even swapping out cables and my last resort of setting the RSP-1069 back to the default settings. None of the above worked and I'm still seeing pink.
                    I checked the firmware version as Kevin suggested here and I see mine is (V1.1.8-080128.) the video is (V1.45). I'm going to email Rotel and hopefully get the update to see if this corrects the handshake issue. Will post back when I get the update installed.

Ken

Comment

• chanlon
                      • Sep 2003

Hi there.

I did some reading on handshaking issues between HDMI equipped receivers/processors and my motorolla Starchoice Canada PVR.
                      As it turns out, the receiver doesn't "agree" with processors/receivers that contain repeaters. It will work if connected directly to a TV. However, it you are going through an AVR using HDMI, forget about it.

My solution was to use a component video connection direct to the TV.
                      I have the latest firmware upgrades on my processor. However, I have not tried the HDMI connection again. I will and post results later.

Comment

• kiwi2000
                        • Jan 2008

chanlon wrote,Yes, it works fine when connected directly. I'm lost.
                        I emailed Rotel this morning (8 AM) and have not heard back.
                        Dont hold your breath for a reply I have been trying to resolve these same issues for my 1069 since August. I have lost count of the telephone and email messages left at tech support.

To the poster that has pink as the predominate color connected via HDMI, I have tried several bluray players that exhibit this routed through
                        the 1069 yet perform flawlessy conected directly to the display.

My picture shows the pink whenever sources are switched that are HDMI.

Question for 1069 owners with more than one source connected via HDMI to a HDMI display routed through the 1069.

Q1.If you are listening to a cd and you power up your display device are you then still listening to the cd or does it mute?

Question 2 if it does stop when the display is selected does the cd sound ever return or do you have to take steps to force the issue, ie. turn on/off the 1069 or switch sources?

Q3. Does the pinkish color remain after the source is changed?

If any one has experienced this, do you think this is normal operation for a piece of electronics that is supposed to routed signals.

Comment

• chanlon
                          • Sep 2003

Hi there.

I do not share the same experience(s) with Rotel customer support.
                          I have found them very helpful and willing to work out any issues.

When I turn off the display, while listening to CD, I get no drop in audio.
                          However, I have my Arcam CD player connected via analog cables. Perhaps you are referring to a device connected VIA HDMI?

I have noticed that when I turn off my display when listening to a source connected via HDMI, there is a 2-3 sec drop in audio. It return in about 1 second.

I'm going to check on the Motorolla device momentarily.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2007

If you have all of your components hooked up with HDMI (disc player or cable box/sat receiver, receiver/preamp, and display) and all are on, as soon as you turn off the display it is normal for audio to be interupted. It should come back after a couple of seconds however. That is normal and it's a handshake issue with HDMI. It happens with all components. If it doesn't come back, that is not normal.

kiwi2000,

Have you updated the firmware on your RSP-1069? It should be v1.1.8 for the main and t0.24 for the scaler.

Eric

Comment

• chanlon
                              • Sep 2003

I'm happy to report that the HDMI works fine on my Motorolla PVR after updated the firmware. Awesome! :T

Comment

• Ken49r
                                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by kiwi2000
                                To the poster that has pink as the predominate color connected via HDMI, I have tried several bluray players that exhibit this routed through
                                the 1069 yet perform flawlessy conected directly to the display.

My picture shows the pink whenever sources are switched that are HDMI.
                                kiwi2000,
                                My Blue-ray player (PS3) works fine via HDMI to the 1069. No pink flashes when transitioning from one HDMI input to the other except when I switch to the input my HD cable box is connected to. I did notice this past week the pink flash during the HDMI handshake between the 1069 and HD cable box, but it still worked and displayed picture and sound. As of last night it won't.

Update:
                                I just powered up all my sources (Cable Box, OPPO, PS3) via HDMI to the 1069 and switched from one source to the other on the remote and still the only time I see a pink flash on the TV display is when the 1069 and cable box interact with each other.

Comment

• chanlon
                                  • Sep 2003

By no means an i defending Rotel with the 1069. The scaler performance is sketchy and the unit works the best when the bypass feature is engaged.

HOWEVER.... it appears that many of these satellite/cable boxes are problematic with HDMI and handshaking issues.
                                  There are many threads on the Canadian digitalhomecanada.com forums they detail problems that companies such as StarChoice are experiencing as a result of hdmi implementation. Life is much easier with analog connections as far as dependability is concerned. However, then you introduce other headaches with wires and wires and wires.

Comment

• Ken49r
                                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Ken49r
                                    It appears that I too have a similar problem with my HD cable box. (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD)

I purchased the RSP-1069 a week ago and all connections worked fine using HDMI. (PS3, Cable Box, OPPO DV-980H) up until last night. I was watching "3:10 to Yuma" on the PS3 and after the movie was over I switched on the cable box only to see the Rotel and cable box not wanting to cooperate with each other. Watching the display screen on the RSP-1069 I kept seeing it would get the signal and then drop it again. On the TV display it would flash pink intermittently. I tried moving the cable to a different HDMI input and even swapping out cables and my last resort of setting the RSP-1069 back to the default settings. None of the above worked and I'm still seeing pink.
                                    I checked the firmware version as Kevin suggested here and I see mine is (V1.1.8-080128.) the video is (V1.45). I'm going to email Rotel and hopefully get the update to see if this corrects the handshake issue. Will post back when I get the update installed.

Ken
                                    Went to my dealer yesterday to get some interconnects to demo on the 1069. While I was there I told them about the video issue with my unit. One of the tech's told me to unplug my TV and it would reset the HDMI. Well I tried it and it didn't work. Also today I got a reply from Rotel with the updated video firmware. The install instructions look a little complicated so I'm going to wait until my day off to mess with it. Tonight I got to thinking about the tech's suggestion and wondered what if I unplug the HD cable box since it reboots itself when you restart it. Low and behold I turned on the TV and 1069 and it worked. :roll:

Comment

• kiwi2000
                                      • Jan 2008

Thank you for all the replies to my posting.

Let me repeat the questions posed previous, they were for all sources are connected via HDMI and routed through the 1069.

The other issue was when listening to a cd connected via HDMI then powering up the display connected vai HDMI teh cd music source is lost until I ,(a) turnoff the 1069 and turn it back on, or (b) switch inputs on the 1069 in an attempt to "find" the cd music source again.

To Ken49r

What is the number of the latest firmware you now have been sent?

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2007

Thank you for all the replies to my posting.

Let me repeat the questions posed previous, they were for all sources are connected via HDMI and routed through the 1069.

The other issue was when listening to a cd connected via HDMI then powering up the display connected vai HDMI teh cd music source is lost until I ,(a) turnoff the 1069 and turn it back on, or (b) switch inputs on the 1069 in an attempt to "find" the cd music source again.
                                        If you have to do those things that is not normal. There is a handshake issue that is not being resolved between the RSP-1069 and your projector when you power up your projector. I had mentioned this in post #14 as well.

Eric

Comment

• Ken49r
                                          • Dec 2007

To Ken49r

Kiwi,

I'm not sure of the version Rotel sent me since it does not say in any of the folders. I told Rotel my current versions (video 1.45) in the e-mail and he said only my video scaler was out of date. The main firmware (1.1.8.) is OK.
                                          So I will know tomorrow when I install it.

I can forward a copy of the e-mail with the download link to you if you like. Just PM me.

Comment

• Ken49r
                                            • Dec 2007

To Ken49r

V1.47 I installed the update today.

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"