X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gooberus
    • Jul 2008

Using Denon avr-887 as a preamp to 1057

Please excuse this newby question.
    I just picked up the rsx-1057 and after my failed attempt at the setup and the knowledge from the many threads on this forum, have only come to accept that I will not be able to connect my PS3 for that sweet uncompressed sound. I have since resorted to unpacking my Denon AVR-887 (with hdmi 1.1), which I had planned on selling after my 1057 upgrade, to function as a pre-amp to the 1057. It seems to work fine, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight on the possibility of a degraded signal as it leaves the denon.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • WI Rotel
    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by gooberus
    Please excuse this newby question.
    I just picked up the rsx-1057 and after my failed attempt at the setup and the knowledge from the many threads on this forum, have only come to accept that I will not be able to connect my PS3 for that sweet uncompressed sound. I have since resorted to unpacking my Denon AVR-887 (with hdmi 1.1), which I had planned on selling after my 1057 upgrade, to function as a pre-amp to the 1057. It seems to work fine, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight on the possibility of a degraded signal as it leaves the denon.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
    I don't see why , be more specific. The HDMI connection should work fine. My sony bluray works perfectly with my 1069, I don't see why it would be any different in your case, unless your 1057 HDMI board is dead. If that doesn't work (?????) just connect the PS3 with component video and digital audio. It would be crazy to use a receiver as a pre for another receiver you would end up screwing around with 2 volumes etc!

Comment

• kmcheng
      • Jan 2008

You might also want to consider returning your 1057. If your goal was to connect the PS3 to the receiver and to hear the uncompressed sound track, then your dealer should know right away that the 1057 would not satisfy your needs. He should sell you the 1058 instead.

WI's connection method would not allow you to hear the uncompressed sound tracks since the digital audio cable cannot carry the uncompressed 5.1 PCM. Your method involving the Denon would work in theory, but I bet that if you sell your 1057 and Denon you should have enough money left to get the 1058.

Comment

• hifiguymi
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by WI Rotel
        I don't see why , be more specific. The HDMI connection should work fine. My sony bluray works perfectly with my 1069, I don't see why it would be any different in your case, unless your 1057 HDMI board is dead. If that doesn't work (?????) just connect the PS3 with component video and digital audio. It would be crazy to use a receiver as a pre for another receiver you would end up screwing around with 2 volumes etc!
        The RSX-1057 doesn't have audio support over HDMI so with a PS3 the OP won't get any of the advanced audio codecs.

Eric

Comment

• hifiguymi
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2007

If the RSX-1058 is out of the budget, then look at getting the RMB-1075 or RMB-1085 instead (for similar money). You can use the AVR-887 as a preamp until you can upgrade to a nice preamp. Just a thought.

Eric

Comment

• WI Rotel
            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by hifiguymi
            The RSX-1057 doesn't have audio support over HDMI so with a PS3 the OP won't get any of the advanced audio codecs.

Eric
            I still don't get it. How can a reciever have HDMI connections and not support the audio part??????? The audio is part and parcel of the standard! Plus the PS3 will decode all codecs to PCM thus even if the receiver can't decode the codec, the PS3 will digest it.

Comment

• kmcheng
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by WI Rotel
              I still don't get it. How can a reciever have HDMI connections and not support the audio part??????? The audio is part and parcel of the standard! Plus the PS3 will decode all codecs to PCM thus even if the receiver can't decode the codec, the PS3 will digest it.
              This is indeed confusing, and most company literatures do not do a good job (perhaps intentionally) explaining the exact feature set. For example, I still cannot tell whether the NAD 175 can decode the advanced codecs via HDMI. Rotel 1057's HDMI capability is limited to switching. Even though there is audio information being carried in the HDMI cable, the 1057 is simply relaying the signal and not processing the audio information.

The PS3 does indeed decode the advanced codecs into multi-channel PCM. However, the only way one can extract the decoded PCM is through the HDMI connection. As such, the receiver/processor would need to be capable of receiving multi-channel PCM via HDMI. If you are using optical to connect the PS3 to the receiver, then you are hearing the legacy Dolby and DTS soundtracks, NOT the advanced codecs.

Btw, I think Eric's suggestion about getting the 1075 or the 1095 would be the smartest move in the OP's situation. There are plenty of used units on Audiogon at very good prices.

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

There are actually quite a few older HDMI receivers that don't support audio over HDMI there are even still some of the very cheap receivers that don't support it either. It's not a mandatory feature of the HDMI standard apparently.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Dougie085
                  There are actually quite a few older HDMI receivers that don't support audio over HDMI there are even still some of the very cheap receivers that don't support it either. It's not a mandatory feature of the HDMI standard apparently.
                  That does suck! And, its a ripoff :evil:
                  The 1069 doesn't decode the new formats (DTS HD and Dolby HD) but it does support 7.1 multichannel PCM or any of the legacy codecs through HDMI, thus as long as your player does the decoding you can use any codec. In my expirience, the uncompressed sound tracks are clearly superior to the legacy codecs.

Just checked the Rotel website, the 1057 specs do state that its HDMI is video only (kind of stupid) while its new sibling the 1058 does full HDMI. I guess you can check your PS3 settings to see if it will allow you to output video through HDMI and audio through a digital or analog connection (i don't have a PS3)
                  Last edited by WI Rotel; 26 July 2008, 21:04 Saturday.

Comment

• gooberus
                    • Jul 2008

Thanks all for your responses. I got a great deal on the rsx 1057 and would be a shame to return it. I might have to stick with the denon setup for the time being. Has anyone heard of any device that would take an hdmi signal and output analog signals that then be used in older non-hdmi receivers?

Comment

• hifiguymi
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2007

Thanks all for your responses. I got a great deal on the rsx 1057 and would be a shame to return it. I might have to stick with the denon setup for the time being. Has anyone heard of any device that would take an hdmi signal and output analog signals that then be used in older non-hdmi receivers?
                      What you're talking about is a surround sound receiver or preamp. To do what you're asking about, the unit would need to receive, decode, and do digital to analog conversion of an HDMI signal. That is what a surround sound receiver, or preamp, does.

I understand you may have gotten a great price on the RSX-1057 but if it doesn't do what you want, it's not a great deal. I still think you should return it and get a nice power amp.

Eric

Comment

• WI Rotel
                        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                        What you're talking about is a surround sound receiver or preamp. To do what you're asking about, the unit would need to receive, decode, and do digital to analog conversion of an HDMI signal. That is what a surround sound receiver, or preamp, does.

I understand you may have gotten a great price on the RSX-1057 but if it doesn't do what you want, it's not a great deal. I still think you should return it and get a nice power amp.

Eric
                        I agree wholeheartedly, if your previous receiver has all the connections and decoding you need all you need is a good poweramp. Rtoel has a variety if 5 channel amps that would satisfy most needs. Many posters around here are partial to the new class D's. In my book the main problem with the D's is that they don't have a 200W 5 channel version, which would be great solution for HT. The 100W are to wimpy for big HT and the 500Watt versions would require multiple amps (at least 3, 2 stereo one mono), would cost a bundle and are more than all but the very few would need.
                        Come on Rotel, time for a class D versions of the 1095 and 1080 (at the same price, of course :W )!!!!

Comment

• kmcheng
                          • Jan 2008

There is a reason why the 1057 is "such a good deal". The lack of HDMI audio capabilities renders it obsolete. I think that is the reason why there are so many used 1057 units listed on Audiogon these days. One dealer tried to talk me into "upgrading" to a "heavily discounted" 1057 from my humble Cambridge Audio receiver. I asked for a similar deal on the 1069 + amp, and the "heavy discount" disappeared.

I like Eric's suggestion a lot. What you have right now with the 1057 is an outdated processor coupled with somewhat limited amplification power. Eric's suggestion gives you uncompressed soundtracks decoding (your Denon) and superior amplification (RB 1075 or 1095).

Btw, connecting the PS3 with your receiver using an optical or analog cable(s) will not give you the uncompressed 5.1 sound tracks. As I mentioned in a previous post, with the PS3 the only way you can get those uncompressed soundtracks is with the HDMI connection.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                            • Jul 2006

Btw, connecting the PS3 with your receiver using an optical or analog cable(s) will not give you the uncompressed 5.1 sound tracks. As I mentioned in a previous post, with the PS3 the only way you can get those uncompressed soundtracks is with the HDMI connection.[/QUOTE]

Correct, all you can get through toslink is legacy DTS and Dolby. However any movie encoded in the high definition codecs is also encoded in the old formats thus you can watch anything in 5.1 surround :T

Comment

• Mig17
                              • Jan 2008

Here in Singapore many guys rush to onkyo 805 or 905 HD 1.3 a
                              but sorry many 1.3 a set up sound terrible
                              Rotel 1057 is obsolete but still so exxelent with Standard DVD

Comment

• gooberus
                                • Jul 2008

Thanks for all your comments. I have since been looking for a work around since I did not have the heart nor funds for another upgrade. Through my contacts overseas, I was able to get my hands on a device capable of splitting the hdmi signal to 5.1 and 7.1 analog signals. Now I am able to listen to all the advanced codecs through my rsx 1057. Let me know if anyone else is interested.

Comment

• Tino D'Voe
                                  • Jan 2002

could someone explain to me what would the limitation be to just get a bluray player with analog audio outputs?

Is there a bluray player that can decode all the newest formats and output via analog?

If this is possible, it should work better than to buy a whole new receiver just for HDMI.

Comment

• wettou
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • May 2006

Originally posted by Tino D'Voe
                                    could someone explain to me what would the limitation be to just get a bluray player with analog audio outputs?
                                    A lot of cable 5 or 7 and not as clean as with HDMi if you receiver has better DAC than the player which I will assume.

Originally posted by Tino D'Voe
                                    Is there a bluray player that can decode all the newest formats and output via analog?

If this is possible, it should work better than to buy a whole new receiver just for HDMI.
                                    Yes Sony BD-S550 soon to be released and Panasonic BDP-50 have analogue out. If you receiver has 5 or 7 analog input then you will be able to have DD truHD or DTS Master HD. HDMi 1.3 will avoid for you to have to plug in 7 RCA cables!:T
                                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"