X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Sprung for a RB-1092

Well, I couldn't resist, I added a 1092 this weekend after comments about not doing my speakers (802d) justice driven with a 1077.

I'm not an audio journalist, so I can't offer three pages of questionable adjectives! But...

Compared with the 1077, the sound and stage is actually very similar at lower volumes, its when you reduce the attenuation that the difference is really apparent. Effortless controlled bass, extremely fast timing, and an eagerness I've not heard before. This amp has almost bottomless power, and it just keeps on giving, totally unstressed by load or level. It even runs cool.

So now, I need to work on replacing the center arrangement. Man, this hobby never stops!

I'd be interested in hearing other 1092 experiences...
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100
  • Ferres
    • Jan 2007

I find it odd too that the 1092 runs cooler than the 1077.

What I first noticed about the 1092 is the mids being better defined over the 1077. Also the forwardness of the sound.

Comment

• miner
      • Mar 2005

2 ch. vs multichannel amps - 2 ch will always sound much more lively and open when comparing like vendors. Give your 1092 about 100 hrs of break in time before doing any critical listening.

Comment

• style
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2006

rb 109x

Hallo mjb,

I have changed my Rmb1075 with 2 x RB1092 (1x front, 1 for rear) plus another RB1091 for the center (Rsp1068 - the only point on the same level..but make the work as pre/pro without problem) :T .

I have 803D, htm2D and 805s rear. (750sub).

great system and performance.. ok, i draem a Classé upgrade but the Rotel
        Rb109X is really a very good ampli.
        In Switzerlnad the RB1090 is out of catalog... nobody will this buy and Rotel have decided (with opinionb from consumers) --> out of gears available!!!

Omar

Comment

• mjb
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Nice set up Omar!

Well, after a few days with it, I'm not too happy - the new amp has unballanced all but stereo. Perhaps I need to correctly set up the levels, as I'm using a 1077 for center and surrounds. Anyone have any tips for doing that?
          - Mike

Main System:
          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• style
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2006

Hi mjb,
            thank's for compliment....

The new amplifier Rb Ice series did not XLR. One of the few points against ..
            However not everyone agrees that having XLR cables with 1-3 meters ü a disadvantage so great.

If do you have a B&W802 I think that buy a Rb1092 for drive the L/R is a good solution.
            With the Rmb1077 go to center and rear.8event. in bi-ampli - sure bi-wire :T )

what for pre/pro do you have??
            Omar

Comment

• hifiguymi
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by mjb
              Nice set up Omar!

Well, after a few days with it, I'm not too happy - the new amp has unballanced all but stereo. Perhaps I need to correctly set up the levels, as I'm using a 1077 for center and surrounds. Anyone have any tips for doing that?
              What preamp do you have? If it doesn't have an automatic level set up (which most separate preamps currently don't) you need to get an SPL meter. That is the only way to get the levels right. Don't trust your ears to get it perfect. Because the center and rear speakers are usually different speakers than the left and right, and the placement is different, you can never get it perfect by ear.

I see you're in Germany but you need something like this.

Eric

Comment

• mjb
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

I have a 1098 pre/pro, so no automatic level setup - but I also have an SPL meter. What level is recommended to use for setup? I think I saw a thread on the procedure some time ago, but I can't find it now.

I'm using the rb1092 for the fronts (obviously), and an rmb-1077 for the rest.
                - Mike

Main System:
                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• hifiguymi
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2007

What I do is set the SPL meter at 70dB and turn the master volume up while the test tone is on. Once the left front speaker (which is where the RSP-1098 starts) hits 70dB then continue on to all of the other speakers and match them in the RSP-1098 to the left front. After that, you should be good.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"