X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metallo
    • Sep 2004

Impressions of Rotel RB-1092

Last weekend I received a RB-1092 that had been used for demo for a price I couldn’t resist, I originally was looking for a RB-1090 but after reading 3 professional reviews (plus reviews of bel canto ref-1000 and other Class D – “manufacturers” with ice) and reading the impressions from users at this forum I decided to give it a try, if I got disappointed I could easily sell it for the same price as purchased.

Equipment used…

Rotel RSP-1068 (only used with analog bypass)
    Rotel RDV-1092 (DVD/CD)
    Rotel RMB-1075 (measured 160w/8ohm with 2 channels driven)
    Rotel RB-1092 (measured 635w/8ohm with 2 channels driven)

Infinity Renaissance 90
    Nominal impedance: 4 ohm (read somewhere that they go down to 2 ohm, but haven’t got it confirmed)
    Power rating: 75-400 watt
    Efficiency: 87 dB
    Frequency response : 27 Hz – 45 KHz (+/- 3 dB)
    Closed 4-way speaker (ribbon tweeter / ribbon midrange / 6,5” midwoofer / 10” woofer)

As you can see the speakers are very difficult for an amplifier, low efficiency, high power rating, low impedance, closed case but still frequency down to 27 Hz. My comparison between RMB1075 and RB1092 isn’t fair, I am fully aware of that, but I thought I could write my impressions anyway.

The first thing that hit me when I switched to RB1092 was, “wow”. I knew I could expect a lot more of control and bass output but I wasn’t prepared for the difference in the whole soundstage… Naturalness, depth and transparency was very good, me and my friend sat all weekend with a smile on our faces and said “How the hell can that little thing deliver so much!” One thing I also noticed was I played loud, much louder then before and wanted to play even louder (but my neighbours have a different opinion). It never sounded bad or hard as I raised the volume level, it just kept delivering the goods. ;x(

Compared to RMB1075 it was a clear winner, to say it in simple words, the RMB1075 sounded drunk! With blurry & boomy bass, boring midrange and a tweeter that sounded very unnatural and aggressive, I can never go back to this baby again. But folks, they don’t even play in same league

And just for fun, I played “Jennifer Warnes (The Hunter) – Way down deep” with extreme low bass and cranked the volume up to almost max, sweet jesus, I whole room filled up with extreme low and controlled bass and with a bass wave I felt in my stomach. Okey, no audiophile technique to evaluate an amplifier but it sure was fun.

Next week I will probably compare it to 2 pcs Vincent SP-998 monoblock instead because this comparison was no match for my new baby...

/Daniel
    Last edited by metallo; 07 March 2007, 02:57 Wednesday.
  • style
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2006

Rb1092

Hallo metallo,

I have the same set (Rsp1068-Rmb1075-Rb1092 just buy come next week)
    B&W703 main - htm7 - cdm7nt- 750sub /3910dvd+dv989pioneer

I have much read from a Rb1092 and i have decided the buy a 1092 in place from 1090.
    I go drive the main with this "little monster" and center plus rear (5.1) with a
    Rmb1075.
    I go making probe an go reporte my impression.
    Greeting from Switzerland
    Omar

[IMG]

LITTLE HELP
    p.s.: I go IN with cinch in a Rsp1068 front, the "old" front going to surround or
    where (centerback??) from the Rsp1068??
    I want use only in 5.1 the system not make a 7.1!!!!
    Attached Files

Comment

• metallo
      • Sep 2004

Hi style,

Those speakers deserves more then RMB1075, if you like your sound with that you will love it with RB1092 :P

Looking forward to read about your impressions.

Regarding 5:1, just disconnect the Front L/R from RMB1075 and connect them to RB1092, thats it (dont forget to adjust the Front L/R levels in the RSP1068 OSD).

In the future if you want 7:1 just connect "Center Back L/R" from RSP1068 (dont forget to activate Center back L/R in the OSD) to "Front L/R" at RMB1075 and connect the speakers at Front L/R output.

/Daniel

Comment

• style
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2006

Rb1092

Thank's /Daniel,

I try, i try no problem.
        The level for the front ok, (left&right with the Rb1092 and B&W703 i think go
        around +3/4 db. or?)
        in my system where do you see the place for the coming Rb1092?? Over RMB1075+RB1092+RSP1068 or much warm??
        (if the place is enough/sufficient?? - at the millimeter i think --> warm!)
        what do you have in your system setting?? (levels)
        I have moved my system and i have much to do...
        Do you have a SPL meter for a right setting? or what do you have make?
        --------
        ok, i muss only see of the cable are enough long, depending where go place the rb1092.
        7.1 I DONT BELIEVE IN A SYSTEM 7.1 DON'T EXIST. The actually system 7.1
        is only a "copy" from rear speaker, DVD disk whit an original source 7.1 i dont have never see...

Greeting from Switzerland
        Omar

Comment

• metallo
          • Sep 2004

Impressions of Rotel RB-1092 continued…

I have now compared RB-1092 with a much tougher competitor, the very impressive Vincent SP-998 Class A monoblock. These babies weight 31 kg each and measures 45,8 cm height! 50watt /8ohm class A and 300/600watt 8/4ohm class AB. They felt well built and were a very beautiful and impressive sight standing next to my speakers.

Conclusion?
          I had to invite two friends, one enthusiast and one “normal” to evaluate the comparison tough I wasn’t believing what I was hearing, I mean, how the h*ll can this little ICE-thingy sound better then the great class A amplifier? My two friends confirmed that I wasn’t just hearing things, they came to the same conclusion.

With “better” I mean Rotel RB-1092 delivered a more transparent and detailed image, with more atmosphere and distinct sound. It felt more powerfull, controlled and accurate. Well it just sounded better in all frequencies, from bottom low the top high. It was obvious that Rotel had much more effect and managed to handle my large speakers better.

Vincent SP-998 didn’t do a bad job, absolutely not, if I haven’t had the opportunity the make this comparison I would have been satisfied with Vincent. At a lower volume it even had a more powerfull low bass, BUT, witch also got boomy when playing with higher volume.

Rotel RB-1092 continues to impress and amaze me… :T

/Daniel

Comment

• melantone
            • Feb 2007

You are tempting me furtherly, in order to buy the babies for my 802d's....
            P.S. Hi, Omar!

Comment

• jayhawk75
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by melantone
              You are tempting me furtherly, in order to buy the babies for my 802d's....
              using 1092 for 803d 1091 for center, was thinking about changing to 402 for l&r, but now after 9 months i am going to get another 1092 for rears and figure out what to use for a prepro. for me it became a no brainer to get 2x1092 and 1x1091 instead of 1x402 with some pocket change left over. lets me concentrate on playing around with sources and source material. decisions have been made after over 100 hours of 402/802d-803d with side by side 1092/802d-803d.

Comment

• scanido
                • Apr 2006

jayhawk75 what is a 402?

Comment

• melantone
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by scanido
                  jayhawk75 what is a 402?
                  Perhaps a Mac? What about high treble, jayhawk?

Comment

• sirbogey
                    • Mar 2006

402??? :huh: must be a Peugot... :B

Comment

• jayhawk75
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by scanido
                      jayhawk75 what is a 402?
                      mcintosh

Comment

• metallo
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by jayhawk75
                        using 1092 for 803d 1091 for center, was thinking about changing to 402 for l&r, but now after 9 months i am going to get another 1092 for rears and figure out what to use for a prepro. for me it became a no brainer to get 2x1092 and 1x1091 instead of 1x402 with some pocket change left over. lets me concentrate on playing around with sources and source material. decisions have been made after over 100 hours of 402/802d-803d with side by side 1092/802d-803d.
                        Those B&W are really nice speakers!

What specifications does mcintosh 402 have?

Why do you like RB-1092 more then the mcintosh 402?

/Daniel

Comment

• style
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Feb 2006

Rb1092

Hallo,

I have buyed the 1092 and at the same time the B&W 803S.
                          (pre 1068 and center plus rear Rmb1075).

For me the Rb1092 is really very very good in price and above all in quality.
                          I don't believe that so a little machine was so high performance.

I want replace the Rmb1075 with a 1077 (alway Ice power) or better make a
                          tower 3x Rb1092.
                          I don't see a Krell or mc Intosh in my future.

Omar

Comment

• jayhawk75
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by metallo
                            Those B&W are really nice speakers!

What specifications does mcintosh 402 have?

Why do you like RB-1092 more then the mcintosh 402?

/Daniel
                            400x2
                            price,size,weight vs beauty,name,meters.
                            again you can do a 5 channel system in rotel for a little more than 1 2 channel system in mcintosh. you also dont have to make stands for a couple hundred pounds of amplifiers. i didnt find any difference in audio to my ears to justify the cost. however if you enjoy the view of the mcintosh meters in a darkened room go for it. i am also the person that prefered the sound of the 803 vs the 802 because the soundstage was better to my ears.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"