X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wgriel
    • May 2006

Considering a Rotel upgrade

Hello,

I currently have a stereo system which consists of a pair of B&W 703s, which I am powering by a Rotel RX-1052 -- which is awesome for a 2 channel receiver, but I believe that I could get much more out of my 703s if I went to separates.

I listen to quite a bit of vinyl, so a phono section is important to me.

Partly for that reason, I am considering getting the RC-1082 pre-amp which I've heard very good things about. What I am debating is my best choice for amplification: I had initially thought that I would get the RB-1070, but now I'm wondering if the RB-1072 would be a better choice?

Further, I'm wondering if it would be worth holding off and saving some more and going for the RB-1092 when I can afford that? It's a pretty big jump in price, but I guess I'm wondering if the 703s would benefit from making that jump?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Bill
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Hi Bill,

The RB-1080 is only slightly more expensive than the RB-1072 so you might like to consider that one too. I run an RB-1080 with an RC-1082 and I'm pretty happy with the combination.

Nigel.

Comment

• Mikael
      • Aug 2007

Hi Bill
      You could also wait untill Rotel make a 200 watts Class D(If they do),Hopefully they will show it at CEDIA or at the show in Germany at the end of April.

Comment

• hifiguymi
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2007

Make sure you listen to the RB-1072 and compare it to the RB-1070 (and the RB-1080 as well). Since you have the RX-1052 now you may like the sound of the RB-1070/RB-1080 more than the RB-1072 because it's closer to what you have now. The RB-1072 is quite good and I think you'd like it. Just make sure you listen to it first. The same goes for the RB-1092.

The RC-1082 is really good and I know you'll like that. The phono stage is very good in it.

Eric

Comment

• shadow 8
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Mikael
          Hi Bill
          You could also wait untill Rotel make a 200 watts Class D(If they do),Hopefully they will show it at CEDIA or at the show in Germany at the end of April.
          Once again, as noted numerous times on this forum and confirmed numerous times by Rotel contacts, there is NO 200 wpc Rotel digital amp coming out this fall next winter or any time in the near future. :roll: If you want a new amp, I suggest you look at whats available now since it does not appear that there will be any new high powered amps coming soon from Rotel.

Comment

• wgriel
            • May 2006

Thanks everyone for the thoughts - I guess I will really have to listen to these to see if I prefer the sound of the RB-1070/RB-1080 or the RB-1072/RB-1092. I haven't heard any of the Class D amps so far, so I don't know if I'll love them or prefer the sounds of the older amps.

I do like the smaller profile and power consumption of the Class D amps though!

I think anything in the above list will have enough juice for the speakers as I don't listen at very loud volumes, and I'm guessing that the biggest area of improvement may be due to the RC-1082. Still, finding the right combo for my set up is my current mission.

Bill

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"