X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rocker
    • Feb 2007

Sound Setup For Second Location

I have a RDV 1050 connected to a RSX 1057.I have the 5 channel audio outpus run to the 1057 multi inputs for dvd audio.I also have a coaxial digital cable from 1050 to 1057.I connected a pair of rca audio cables from tape out (1057)to an input on a secondary receiver to run sound to another room,but I am not getting audio.What am I doing wrong?
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

The rec outputs and Zone2 outputs (what you should be using), both require stereo analog cables ran from the source to the appropriate input on the 1057.

Kevin D.

Comment

• rocker
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Kevin D
      The rec outputs and Zone2 outputs (what you should be using), both require stereo analog cables ran from the source to the appropriate input on the 1057.

Kevin D.
      Is there a way this can be done with my current configuration ? Or is there a universal player that offers the extra 2 channel outputs as well as the 5 channel?I would like to be able to enjoy my video and audio in the other room while the kids/wife watch in the main room.
      Also, along with the audio I am running video to the other location.I presently have a standard video cable run about 20 feet to the monitor.Could I run component video cables or HDMI of this length without signal loss?

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

You can easily get a y-cable and connect the FRONT/STEREO pair of cables to both the analog in and multi-channel in. You will have to make sure the 1050 is set to send Dolby-Digital down-mix out the analog outputs, not decoded 5.1 (otherwise you will only get L/R information, not the full sound).

Component can go 20' no problem. HDMI can as well, but 1080p might be a problem unless its a good quality cable.

Kevin D.

Comment

• rocker
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Kevin D
          You can easily get a y-cable and connect the FRONT/STEREO pair of cables to both the analog in and multi-channel in. You will have to make sure the 1050 is set to send Dolby-Digital down-mix out the analog outputs, not decoded 5.1 (otherwise you will only get L/R information, not the full sound).

Component can go 20' no problem. HDMI can as well, but 1080p might be a problem unless its a good quality cable.

Kevin D.
          Will using y- cables degrade the signal for my multi inputs?If not ,is there a certain type you would recommend? I am using straightwire chorus /audioquest topaz analog cables.Will setting the 1050 to DD downmix affect my hearing 5.1 dvd audio mixes in high res surround?
          Thank you for the information.

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by rocker
            Will using y- cables degrade the signal for my multi inputs?If not ,is there a certain type you would recommend? I am using straightwire chorus /audioquest topaz analog cables.Will setting the 1050 to DD downmix affect my hearing 5.1 dvd audio mixes in high res surround?
            Thank you for the information.
            If the Y's are low quality, it will have an effect. You might want to look for a solid Y to have no effect it. I've used some that were solid metal; basically an RCA connector with two female ends and no wire. Honestly though, a good y cable connected on the DVD end probably won't have a noticeable effect.

Looked at the manual for the 1050. Setting the analog output to 2-CH DOLBY SURROUND in the setup menu should give you pure stereo output for all normal DVD's and CD's but still give you 5.1ch output for all DVD-A's in the main zone. You will have to use the digital cable connection in the main zone to get true 5.1 sound on Dolby Digital and DTS DVD's.

Kevin D.

Comment

• rocker
              • Feb 2007

I bought some audioquest hard splitters and inserted them into the front L,R outputs and sent the extra cable hook up to video in audio jacks.when playing dvd video sound was sent to second location(zone2)when I switched to dvd audio no sound in zone 2 no matter how I set the 1050 audio(multi, 2 channel stereo or 2 channel surround)

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Zone2 isn't set to SOURCE is it? You will have to set it to the video input the DVD player is on. If it's set to source, it will mute when you select MULTI-IN in the main zone.

Kevin D.

Comment

• rocker
                  • Feb 2007

Zone 2 is set to off as I am using the tape outputs to run audio to second location.I enabled zone 2 and used the zone outputs but it does not give me an option for video 1 which is what my dvd uses or video 2 what my dvd audio is set for.It only shows tape,cable ,video 4 & 5 etc.Still no audio in second location.

Comment

• Kevin D
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2002

You've got to use the zone2 output for this to work. The tape outputs will never get audio from the multi-channel inputs. How are you using video 2 for DVD-Audio? To listen to the multi-channel inputs, you have to select EXT for your source.

Have you named your inputs? That's the only way you would see CABLE showing up as an option for zone2.

Basically you run your video and 2ch analog audio to video1. You run your 6ch analog to the multi-inputs. Go into the setup menu and choose video1 for the video source on the multi-channel input. Hook the analog to your other receiver to the zone2 outputs. Set zone2 audio to fixed in the menu. Now when you select the output of Zone2 to be video1, you should get sound no matter what disc is in there.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"