X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

reference level ?

was wondering those that have rotel receivers and such where you had your master volume for ref. level set at when you did your caibration (speakers settings) with the RS meter.with a marantz had it was "0".But i know with rotel there is no such thing.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Everything before my 1069 I always balanced at 75. The 1069 is a little softer on the volume scale and I had to bump it up to 80.

Kevin D.

Comment

• rick c
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Kevin D
      Everything before my 1069 I always balanced at 75. The 1069 is a little softer on the volume scale and I had to bump it up to 80.

Kevin D.
      So if i understand you.Your master volume for ref level is 80 on the dial to get your speakers to 75db ?On my rsx1056 i set the vol i believe was 75 then went thru the test tones for the speakers to set at 70 with the meter.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by rick c
        So if i understand you.Your master volume for ref level is 80 on the dial to get your speakers to 75db ?On my rsx1056 i set the vol i believe was 75 then went thru the test tones for the speakers to set at 70 with the meter.
        Correct. Before on the 1098 and 1066 I was at 75 for 75db.

Kevin D.

Comment

• scanido
          • Apr 2006

I calibrated everything last night to reference at 80 using the RSX-1057 internal test tones and noticed the bass from my sub sounded really thin.

I then re-calibrated using AVIA. 85db set to 80 volume level and the sub was down about 5-6db!!! When i set each speaker including the sub to be at reference the sound was much fuller and complete.

Just letting people know not to rely on the test tones built in.

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

I believe the internal test tones do not add in the extra 10db needed for the sub. AVIA includes this, but I think DVE does not either. I usually level my speakers at 75db, sub at 85db, unless I'm using AVIA.

Bass is so subjective, you'll have to tweak it to your liking anyway.

Kevin D.

Comment

• scanido
              • Apr 2006

I believe the internal test tones do not add in the extra 10db needed for the sub. AVIA includes this, but I think DVE does not either. I usually level my speakers at 75db, sub at 85db, unless I'm using AVIA.

Kevin D.
              Agree and hopefully this can be addressed one day by Rotel.

Comment

• Club1820
                • Jan 2006

Kevin D.
                Kevin, what do you mean by "the extra 10db needed for sub" ? Why does the sub need an extra 10db?

Also, if using the AVIA disc, are you saying that both the speakers and sub should be leveled at 75db? Apart from the subjective?
                Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Test tones are usually X-db below max output of a DVD. Most people say that a theater should be capable of hitting 105db on the main speakers and 115db on the subwoofer. Some test-tones are set 30db lower then max volume on everything, so main speaker would be set to 75db, sub to 85db. Some test-tones are 30db lower on main channels, 40db lower on the sub channel, so everything would be set to 75db.

Rotel's test-tones are the first one, as well as the older DVE (not sure about the new one). AVIA is the later. AVIA may even be 20db lower on main channels, 30db lower on sub; so you would set everything to 85db.

It's hard to keep up with what disc has what tones on it.

Kevin D.

Comment

• scanido
                    • Apr 2006

Another question.

Does it impact sound quality in anyway if i calibrate to 75 vol and have my speakers +5 and +7 respectively compared to have it at 80 and my speakers at 0 and +2 ???

In other words, are these settings essentially the same in terms of gain level and distortion output???

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"