X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • june
    • Feb 2005

rsp 1068 & Panasonic BD30?

Thanks all,

I brought the Panny 30 last night and watched "THE BRAVE ONE." Great picture & the the sound was great. The Rotel displayed "DOLBY DIGITAL."
    I'll try a DTS blu-ray disc tonight "LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD." Hopefully the Rotel will display "DTS."
    Last edited by june; 13 February 2008, 11:30 Wednesday. Reason: spelling
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
  • alebonau
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

june if you can stay away from either sony. both players are long in the tooth now technology wise. theres better options out there eg with the sammy 1400 or the pana bd30 or bd50 coming. If you are particualrly keen on a sony they showed the later tec saffire prototypes at ces but there was no mention when or how much.

myself I'm using the pio lx70a(95HD) and tosh XE1(XA2) and very happy with both for PQ and SQ..
    "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Blindamood
      • Sep 2003

I'm not familiar with either one...do they have multi-channel analog outs? That will be required to get the newer audio formats. I use the Sony BDP-S1 with my RSP-1068 via multi-channel analog with very good results.
      Brad

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

I suggest getting a Ps3. You will have to use optical for audio as it doesn't have analog outs for 5.1. It's the bst Blu player on the market and the only one thats fully upgradeable. I own it as well as the rsp1068 and I'm happy with it.

What you get with the Ps3 over all other Blu players is the a Music server. Get the 80 gig version. I heard there is a bigger 160g coming out, might be worth waiting for if you have a large cd collection. You can record in atrak 352 which sounds exaclty like the orignal cd. I have tested this with my ears and I can't tell the difference if there is one. It sounds awesome.

That alone makes it worth even more then what they ask for it. I truely believe it's under priced. It's a fantastic and the fastest loading Blu player on the market.

If you don't play games, it's still worth the asking price and more. If you do then it's value just increased. I love mine and will not own a stand alone player untill the war is over and Blu is the way it's going to be.

Good luck. If the Ps3 really isn't for you for many reasons(which I can't think of one) I suggest the Panasonic 30 or the new 50.

Comment

• june
          • Feb 2005

Thank All,

i'm going the get the panasonic bd30. so far no issues with the bd30. the bd50 is coming out this spring buy newer my not be better.

what's the best set for the sound, coaxial, toslink or 6-channel?
          June

Comment

• Dmantis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by june
            Thank All,

i'm going the get the panasonic bd30. so far no issues with the bd30. the bd50 is coming out this spring buy newer my not be better.

6 channel in to the preamp. I think it sucks to have to run all those wires(my same problem with sacd and dvd audio). It makes a mess. Optical or Coax works well and sounds better then regular dvd. But to get the new audio formats and the player can deocode them and send them out 6 channel, this will work the best.

Comment

• garak
              • Jul 2007

Thank All,

Before you get the Panny, you should be aware that there is an issue with the LFE channel. If the audio signal is sent over HDMI as PCM, the LFE channel will be 5db quieter than it should be. As of yet, there is no fix, and some speculate that it is a hardware design flaw - meaning no fix is possible. It was also noted that the Denon 2500 also suffers from this issue, leading many to speculate that the Denon is a rebadge of the Panny.

Panny LFE issue

I realize that you have the 1068, and will likely use Toslink, so in that case it won't be an issue.

However, if you were planning on changing your prepro in the near future and wanted to keep the Panny, this may be something to consider.

Comment

• garak
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Dmantis
                6 channel in to the preamp. I think it sucks to have to run all those wires(my same problem with sacd and dvd audio). It makes a mess. Optical or Coax works well and sounds better then regular dvd. But to get the new audio formats and the player can deocode them and send them out 6 channel, this will work the best.
                Unfortunately, this player will NOT decode True HD or DTS-HD MA. It will only pass them as bitstreams over HDMI.

This means this player cannot decode the lossless audio formats and output them to the analog outs.

The Panny BD50 will be able to, though.

Comment

• june
                  • Feb 2005

thanks garak,

i'll be using the 6-channel out not the toslink or coaxial. also no planning to update my 1068 processor anytime soon.

does this issue effect the 6-channel out/in set up?
                  June

Comment

• Dmantis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by garak
                    Unfortunately, this player will NOT decode True HD or DTS-HD MA. It will only pass them as bitstreams over HDMI.

This means this player cannot decode the lossless audio formats and output them to the analog outs.

The Panny BD50 will be able to, though.
                    Opps sorry for misleading info, I was referring to the 50.

Comment

• june
                      • Feb 2005

dmantis & garak,

what sound will i get from the 30 when using the 6-channel outputs?
                      June

Comment

• alebonau
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Oct 2005

dmantis & garak,

hi june the 30 if I'm right only has basic legacy format decoding on board. its really a transport thats designed to be hooked up to a suitable avr/pre-pro with full decoding on board.

with your rotel 1068 your better off waiting for a newer gen player like the pana bd50 wiht all decoders on board. problem with the pana is it is going to be a profile version 2 player and that profile hasnt been finalised yet and supposedly that wont happen till later in the year, whihc would push back the release of the player to some time after that. also the bd50 is probably likely to be a tad pricier than the 30 as well.

another option is the new denon and marantz, pio players coming though they are not profile version 2 and are probably a lot lot pricier than the pana options.

Comment

• style
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Feb 2006

Blu ray

Hi,

I have the Sony S300 with the Rsp1068 and RB1092.....

Personaly I find the HD disk much better as blu ray. (I have the Toshiba hd EX1 with update 24frame).

Form the BD at this moment the Pioneer lx70A is the best but overpriced:
                          the very "god news" will be the Denon with the new chip inside.
                          (denon BD3800, the BD2500 is "only a transpot")

from Switzerland
                          Omar

Comment

• garak
                            • Jul 2007

dmantis & garak,

You will get the sound formats that were available on DVDs only (Dolby Digital, DTS core).

You won't be able to hear the new lossless codecs,DD TrueHD or DTS-HD MA, or DD+.

Comment

• garak
                              • Jul 2007

thanks garak,

i'll be using the 6-channel out not the toslink or coaxial. also no planning to update my 1068 processor anytime soon.

does this issue effect the 6-channel out/in set up?
                              No, you would not be effected by the LFE issue in this case.

Comment

• june
                                • Feb 2005

Thanks Garak,

I'll use the coaxial output only. This will be a lot easier to hook up. I'll use my Oppo 981 for standard DVDs & the Panny 30 for Blu-ray.
                                June

Comment

• alebonau
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Oct 2005

Thanks Garak,

I'll use the coaxial output only. This will be a lot easier to hook up. I'll use my Oppo 981 for standard DVDs & the Panny 30 for Blu-ray.
                                  june, in that case, as mentioned in my post above you will only get the old legacy audio formats(DD, DTS) via coax not DD+, Dolby trueHD or DTS-HDMA etc.

your honestly better off waiting and getting another blu-ray player with internal decoding for your 1068 av-pre-pro or consider upgrading the av-pre-pro to something else that can decode the new hd audio formats if intending to use the bd30. and yes no resolve on the lfe bug on the bd30 as yet.

Comment

• june
                                    • Feb 2005

Audio???

hello all,

pirates of the carr.3 gave me the option of "uncompressed audio." i chose it but my rotel rsp displayed "DOLBY PLII C" not DOLBY DIGITAL."

will i get "UA" if i use the 6-channel out?
                                    June

Comment

• alebonau
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Oct 2005

hello all,

pirates of the carr.3 gave me the option of "uncompressed audio." i chose it but my rotel rsp displayed "DOLBY PLII C" not DOLBY DIGITAL."

hi june,

if your only hooked up via coax then you will only get legacy audio formats and only I suspect if you select DD or DTS if it is an option.

to get uncompressed audio through to the 1068 you will need to hook up via 6 channel analog inputs. keep in mind the lfe bug and bump up the lfe level appropriately if hooked up that way.

Comment

• Blindamood
                                        • Sep 2003

june, not to be rude, but this question has been answered for you several times, in this thread and another:

Blu-ray audio???
                                        Brad

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"