X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • windmiller
    • Sep 2007

Volume Level Calibration

This is my first Rotel (1057) and I am really impressed with the sound quality. I am working on calibrating it and came across an intersting situation that I wanted to see if others have experienced on Rotel or other receivers.

With other receivers I have always had to calibrate the volume levels for each channel. Usually one or two channels are off by a small amount but with my new 1057 I have one source (Optical Out 2) where the left channel is barely audible.
    The device connected is a HTPC and anything I play is like this. So my guestion is...is this normal for one channel to have such a drastically different level?
  • Nuthed
    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by windmiller
    This is my first Rotel (1057) and I am really impressed with the sound quality. I am working on calibrating it and came across an intersting situation that I wanted to see if others have experienced on Rotel or other receivers.

With other receivers I have always had to calibrate the volume levels for each channel. Usually one or two channels are off by a small amount but with my new 1057 I have one source (Optical Out 2) where the left channel is barely audible.
    The device connected is a HTPC and anything I play is like this. So my guestion is...is this normal for one channel to have such a drastically different level?
    Are you using an SPL meter? From the factory I would assume that all levels were set to zero, is this the case?

Depending on your listening position, I don't think it's uncommon to have levels adjusted by as much as 6 or 7 dbs.

What procedure are you using to calibrate?
    Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
    RB980-BX driving mains
    Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
    Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
    Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
    SVS PB-12

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

If the built in tuner is fine, then it's either that optical input (doubtful) or the HTPC. Are you sure the balance setting on the computer isn't off to one side?

Kevin D.

Comment

• windmiller
        • Sep 2007

I will be using an SPL meter but I loaned it out to someone so I havent had a chance to check them. I was more curious if it was out of the ordinary for the levels to be this far off out of the box. I havent checked to see if the actual setting is at zero. I will tonight and post.

As far as the HTPC is concerned I checked the basic sound settings and everything looks correct. Thanks for the replies!

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

I'd say it's more something either with the optical cable, connection (Rotel or PC side), or a setting on the PC.

If everything sounds normal on the tuner or any other input, then everything *should* be good with the Rotel.

Do you have anything else optical that you can put into that input on the Rotel (just to test)? That would tell you if it's something with the HTPC or not.

-Dan
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• chrispy35
            • Feb 2004

If were an optical cable issue, there shouldn't be any sound at all. Remember that there's only one 'channel' of bits to carry both channels of audio on SPDIF.

I'm leaning towards Kevin's suggestion that it's an HTPC issue as well but, just in case, have you tried a different optical input on the receiver?

Comment

• imbeaujp
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by windmiller
              So my guestion is...is this normal for one channel to have such a drastically different level?
              The answer is NO.

Check the source if there is a balance setting to adjust. Check on the rotel if the balance is well set. Try to use another optical IN on the Rotel...

There is someting wrong.

JP
              Jean-Pierre Imbeau

ROTEL: RSP-1098|RT-1080|RCD-1072|RDV-1060|RLC-1040|RB-1080x2|RMB-1075
              PIONEER: ELITE PRO-940HD|BDP-HD1|inno
              YAMAHA: NS-1000|NS-1000M|CA-1010|CT-1000|TC-1000|YP-1000
              PEARLESS: XXLS-12x4|BEHRINGER DSP-1124

Comment

• windmiller
                • Sep 2007

Finally got the SPL meter back and started calibrating and noticed something interesting. With the Rotel it seems that the built in test tone is for all sources. With my old HK AVR120 I thought I could adjust volume levels for each source (Optical 1, Optical 2,etc.). Am I missing something here?

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Nope, it's a global setting. You can temporaily change changes from the remote, but they reset every time you switch inputs.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"