Calibration levels with RSX1055 (DVE vs internal test tones) Huge difference in level

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CaptainCharisma
    • Feb 2005

Calibration levels with RSX1055 (DVE vs internal test tones) Huge difference in level

Equipment RSX1055/RMB 1075 RS SPL digital
    No software update...

I have always calibrated my hometheater with internal test tones, but i bought Digital Video Essentials to have the system 100% correct.

But the level difference is huge.
    I set the volume to 70 on the 1055 and calibrate from that. Calibrate to 75db.

Internal test tones: DVE test tones ()

Left -7 (0)
    Center -5 (-2)
    Right -7 (0)
    R.Surround -5 (+6)
    CenterBack2 -3 (+3)
    Centerback1 -5 (+3)
    L.Surround -5 (+5)

As you can see the difference is up to -+ 10db!

Why is there so much difference, and should i use the DVE results?

Hope someone can help me.

Thanks!
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Depends! DVE should give you more accurate results for all channels except the sub which is wrongly encoded on the DVE disc (add 10 dB in most cases)

Comment

• CaptainCharisma
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
      Depends! DVE should give you more accurate results for all channels except the sub which is wrongly encoded on the DVE disc (add 10 dB in most cases)

Thanks for the reply.

If i use the DVE results i feel that i cannot go up to 70 on the volume to get the reference. Underworld dts has a insane sound, and i can't go over 65 on that movie. On 65 i get about 110db on Underworld(the loudest action scenes). I know that dts can be some db higher than the dd track.

But i think that the results that DVE gave me vs the test tone from 1055 is a huge gap. Have read in other threads that people who use dve/aiva didn't get that huge of a difference as i got...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I do find those difference to be pretty large compared to what I see with Avia and my 1098. They're pretty much the same other then a slight difference in the centre speaker and the sub's 10dB off on the test tones which is a known issue.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"