RSP 1069: Known issues, "Fixes", and Official stance from Rotel.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by kiwi2000

Does the new board correct the audio mute when OSD is selected through HDMI? I find this very bothersome when listening to CD if I inadvertently press the OSD to check a setting and silence is the result!
    The board does not "fix" the audio going mute when going to the OSD. I am not sure Rotel views that issue as a problem.

Does it also correct the aspect in the pass through mode allowing a 4:3 image to be displayed properly? What about proper brightness and contrast? Has anyone noticed anything of the video image being affected in a detrimental way with the pass though option enabled?
    There is no video detriment using HDMI with the pass through option enabled.

Can you be more specific with the 4:3 issue? I have no issues displaying content which is native from source as 4:3.

Comment

• birdman
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by garak
      For those of you who have gotten the bypass installed, about how long did it take?

I sent my 1069 in, and it arrived at Rotel today. So I'm just wondering about how long I'll have to live without it. I'm getting anxious because I didn't realize how difficult it would be surviving without my home theater. :cry:
      My 1069 arrived at Rotel last Friday - I was told they are currently running a two week turn around time, not including shipping.

Comment

• kiwi2000
        • Jan 2008

Vancouver wrote

Can you be more specific with the 4:3 issue? I have no issues displaying content which is native from source as 4:3.
        That is very interesting indeed. On my set up playing a 4:3 DVD routed through the rotel and out HDMI to the display. The 4:3 image is stretched to fill the screen, same for viewing 4:3 material through the HD cable box.

When the rotel is not in the link the picture is fine. So as far as you are concerned all issues listed on this thread have been addressed by the fix except this one?

What about proper image brightness when routed through the rotel?

What about the poster that stated dolby digital compression was stuck on low? Have you experiencexd this and did the HDMI fix cure this also? Is there anything left outstanding?

Comment

• ILuvDefTech
          • Nov 2004

That is very interesting indeed. On my set up playing a 4:3 DVD routed through the rotel and out HDMI to the display. The 4:3 image is stretched to fill the screen, same for viewing 4:3 material through the HD cable box.

When the rotel is not in the link the picture is fine. So as far as you are concerned all issues listed on this thread have been addressed by the fix except this one?

What about proper image brightness when routed through the rotel?

What about the poster that stated dolby digital compression was stuck on low? Have you experiencexd this and did the HDMI fix cure this also? Is there anything left outstanding?
          I think they should do more than offer an extra board to fix these issues. Fix the scaler. I still want it, but I want the option to bypass it for certain sources. As far as DD dynamic range, I verified that mine does not have this problem. Kevin and Nolan can give their updates here, but I don't think all issues have been addressed.

Comment

• Nolan B
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by ILuvDefTech
            I think they should do more than offer an extra board to fix these issues. Fix the scaler. I still want it, but I want the option to bypass it for certain sources. As far as DD dynamic range, I verified that mine does not have this problem. Kevin and Nolan can give their updates here, but I don't think all issues have been addressed.

All issues have not been addressed and in my personal opinion "a board to bypass the scaler" is not a fix because it renders the scaler (which you pay for) useless. It works for me personally, but as an "official fix" i find it kinda lame espeically if you saw value in the scaler when buying it.

IMO the scaler should have never been added, and it should have been priced 15% lower. Its never a good idea to add a video scaler in a processor...but thats just my opinion.

Can I ask how you verified your 1069 does not have the dynamic range issue?

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Does your TV have an automatic aspect ratio feature? There's a chance the signal coming out of your sources have 4x3 content correctly flagged as 4x3. Maybe everything out of the 1069's scaler is flagged as 16x9, regardless of what is imputed.

TV's that have the auto aspect feature turned on would stretch any video flagged as 16x9, and not stretch any video flagged as 4x3. In any case, the bypass board would fix this as it removes any manipulation of the video signal and passes it through as is.

Kevin D.

Comment

• ILuvDefTech
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Vancouver
                Can I ask how you verified your 1069 does not have the dynamic range issue?
                See post #43.

Comment

• ricky_rocket
                  • Jan 2008

After fixing the problem is this processor worth the price ?

Originally posted by esaleris
                  Yeah, confirmed with Rotel that the board is a) official, b) recommended and c) that it will pass 1080p24 when the scaler is bypassed. If your dealer is nice, it should be free and they will send it in for you, where it will be installed and sent back. Don't think it's a dealer-replacable item.
                  I'm thinking about buying the RSP-1069. I'm going to ask my dealer about his opinion of this problem. My expectation is that since I haven't even bought it yet, he should send it in and get the bypass board before I even buy it. Are the dealers going to get all the unsold ones fixed or will they still try and push it out the door and hope the customer doesn't have a problem ?

After fixing the problem is this processor worth the price ?

(I'm a audiophile and would be listening in 2 channel mode as much or more than using the HT/HDMI features. In the end I value quality over bells and whistles)

Comment

• lvhung
                    • Jun 2005

Rotel recently has done nothing to improve theier product relibility

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

Originally posted by lvhung
                      Rotel recently has done nothing to improve theier product relibility
                      Reliability and not having the features we want are two different things. Rotel has made great strides to make up for past reliability problems. I haven't seen chronic reliability problems from Rotel in a long time.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Blindamood
                        • Sep 2003

Regarding the price, though, it's hard to imagine that the upgrade is worth a $500 premium over the RSP-1068. If I had to purchase a new processor right now, I'd pick the NAD T175 over the 1069. I don't like its looks as well, but it does support HDMI 1.3 and has the Audyssey auto-calibration...all for $1999 (compared to $2200 for the 1069).
                        Brad

Comment

• TommyV
                          • Feb 2007

Even though it has 1.3, they still do not include the decoders for the new audio codecs on HD DVD/Blu-ray. I am not sure about DSD from SACD but I do not think it handles that either. So at this point it handles audio exactly like the 1069. I personally would never use Audyssey auto-calibration when doing my setup.

Of course with NAD's modular design, they can upgrade to add the codecs at a later date but I doubt it will be free. If you really want a deal, Emotiva has the LMC-2 coming out later this year for est. $699 that has everything. Should be a nice unit.

Comment

• ricky_rocket
                            • Jan 2008

Ok, so I've read the entire thread a couple of times now and just want to be sure I understand...

If I have a 1080p flat screen will the RSP-1069 work exactly as advertised without any of the problems described in this thread (even without the bypass board) ?

If I have a 1080p flat screen does that mean I can use Rotel's scaler without any problems ?

If I hook up a regular DVD player (480i/p disks) to the Rotel via HDMI will the Rotel scaler convert it properly to 1080p ?

If I hook up a DVD player that does all the decoding (Sony BDP-S500) is it best just to bypass the Rotel scaler, use the Rotel scaler, or will there even be a difference?

Comment

• Kevin D
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by ricky_rocket
                              Ok, so I've read the entire thread a couple of times now and just want to be sure I understand...

If I have a 1080p flat screen does that mean I can use Rotel's scaler without any problems ?
                              Correct.

If I hook up a regular DVD player (480i/p disks) to the Rotel via HDMI will the Rotel scaler convert it properly to 1080p ?
                              Again correct. If your DVD player has an HDMI output, chances are it's going to scale the 480i/p DVD's to something higher all ready.

If I hook up a DVD player that does all the decoding (Sony BDP-S500) is it best just to bypass the Rotel scaler, use the Rotel scaler, or will there even be a difference?
                              If you want 1080p-24 you will want to bypass the Rotel scaler. If your TV can only handle 1080p-60 or the BDP-S500 can only output 1080p-60, then using the Rotel scaler will be fine. The 'decoding' you speak of only pertains to the audio side of things, which works the same whether the bypass is on or not.

Kevin D.

Comment

• tboo72
                                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Kevin D
                                Correct.

Again correct. If your DVD player has an HDMI output, chances are it's going to scale the 480i/p DVD's to something higher all ready.

If you want 1080p-24 you will want to bypass the Rotel scaler. If your TV can only handle 1080p-60 or the BDP-S500 can only output 1080p-60, then using the Rotel scaler will be fine. The 'decoding' you speak of only pertains to the audio side of things, which works the same whether the bypass is on or not.

Kevin D.
                                I have a 1080p tv & 1080p sources but my 1069 clipped blacks-why is that?

Comment

• Kevin D
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2002

Sorry! Too much to keep track of..

My previous message should hold true IF your TV supports RGB-HDMI signals. If your TV only supports YPbPr-HDMI signals, you will get clipped blacks without the bypass board installed.

Kevin D.

Comment

• tboo72
                                    • Oct 2007

Sorry! Too much to keep track of..

My previous message should hold true IF your TV supports RGB-HDMI signals. If your TV only supports YPbPr-HDMI signals, you will get clipped blacks without the bypass board installed.

Kevin D.

Okay, that makes sense

Comment

• brice1805
                                      • Jan 2008

Rotel RSP1069 up dated

Hi all,

I'm new here. I live in Paris, France and i'm a happy owner of a RSP1069 & RMB1077.

I bought my set on december, 13th. The RSP1069 was not available then and my dealer lent me its own rsp1069. Last week i receive my new rsp1069 and good surprise 8O : the option 'hdmi bypass' is available in the HDMI configuration menu, which means i got the set with the new board (this option is not in the owner's manual).

This confirm that rotel now release all the RSP1069 with the new board. I'm testing this option to see exactly what are the major differences but as my lcd is 1080p, i did not realy notice any difference so far.

I'll be back with more results...

Comment

• ricky_rocket
                                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by brice1805
                                        Hi all,

I'm new here. I live in Paris, France and i'm a happy owner of a RSP1069 & RMB1077.

I bought my set on december, 13th. The RSP1069 was not available then and my dealer lent me its own rsp1069. Last week i receive my new rsp1069 and good surprise 8O : the option 'hdmi bypass' is available in the HDMI configuration menu, which means i got the set with the new board (this option is not in the owner's manual).

This confirm that rotel now release all the RSP1069 with the new board. I'm testing this option to see exactly what are the major differences but as my lcd is 1080p, i did not realy notice any difference so far.

I'll be back with more results...
                                        That's good to hear. I'm thinking of buying one new too, but only if the bypass board is already installed. That's the best option short of Rotel actually fixing the scaler.

And yes please let us know what differences you see on a 1080p lcd. When reporting you should let us know what equipment is in your setup.

Thanks

Comment

• esaleris
                                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by ricky_rocket
                                          That's the best option short of Rotel actually fixing the scaler.
                                          Is there any possibility of that happening, the scaler actually getting fixed? From what the VP said in his e-mail to Vancouver, it doesn't sound like they want to put the resources against getting the scaler fixed, which is disappointing.

Comment

• birdman
                                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by brice1805
                                            Wow! I guess I should of left the eastern US for a Parisian vacation and picked mine up there lol. I'm out $45 and the use of my equipment for 13 days and counting. I will quickly describe how my purchase has went so far.

I ordered my 1069 on Dec 13. At that time I thought this issue was going to be solved by a software/firmware update. My unit took a full week longer to arrive than I was told it would, so I hoped it was updated prior to shipping.

It was not. I sent it back two weeks ago tomorrow to have the hdmi bypass installed at an out of pocket shipping cost of $45. My dealer originally agreed to send it in for me, but after calling Rotel to get the return authorization, he backed out on the offer and stated that Rotel told him that I had to make arrangements directly with them and send it in at my expense. The email from Rotel reads almost like I am going to have to pay shipping for its return too, I guess I won't know that until its done.

Comment

• Dmantis
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by birdman
                                              Wow! I guess I should of left the eastern US for a Parisian vacation and picked mine up there lol. I'm out $45 and the use of my equipment for 13 days and counting. I will quickly describe how my purchase has went so far.

I ordered my 1069 on Dec 13. At that time I thought this issue was going to be solved by a software/firmware update. My unit took a full week longer to arrive than I was told it would, so I hoped it was updated prior to shipping.

It was not. I sent it back two weeks ago tomorrow to have the hdmi bypass installed at an out of pocket shipping cost of $45. My dealer originally agreed to send it in for me, but after calling Rotel to get the return authorization, he backed out on the offer and stated that Rotel told him that I had to make arrangements directly with them and send it in at my expense. The email from Rotel reads almost like I am going to have to pay shipping for its return too, I guess I won't know that until its done.
                                              You know I love Rotel as much as the next guy but come on. You buy the new preamp, you find out the scaler doesn't quite work the way you hope. Then you have to send it back to Rotel to get it "fixed" at your shipping expense, your out without your brand new preamp for 13 days.... Come on guys tell me it's worth all this touble. I'm cool with firmware upgrades , software upgrades and such but hardware right out of the gate???

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2007

My dealer originally agreed to send it in for me, but after calling Rotel to get the return authorization, he backed out on the offer and stated that Rotel told him that I had to make arrangements directly with them and send it in at my expense. The email from Rotel reads almost like I am going to have to pay shipping for its return too, I guess I won't know that until its done.
                                                It's frustrating to hear that your dealer did that. As far as I know, the customer doesn't have to do it themselves. It can be done by a dealer.

Being a dealer that has sold and installed a few of these I've read this thread with great interest. I know Rotel didn't release the RSP-1068 and the RSX-1058 with the thought that a scaler bypass would be needed, or firmware upgrades be done between the time they left the factory and shipped to dealers (at the initial launch). Since it takes a while for a company the size of Rotel to develop a product, build it, and sell it, some things that were the best available at the time get bypassed (no pun intended) in todays marketplace. I think (hope) Rotel has learned to leave the scaling to TV's and just deal with audio. Since the Classe SSP-800 at $8000.00 US is leaving out any video scaling, lets hope Rotel does the same thing in the replacement for the RSP-1098 and any future products.

Eric

Comment

• kiwi2000
                                                  • Jan 2008

This thread is entitled "known fixes and official stance" I do not see either in your reply.

hifiguymi wrote
                                                  Since it takes a while for a company the size of Rotel to develop a product, build it, and sell it, some things that were the best available at the time get bypassed (no pun intended) in todays marketplace
                                                  I must take exception to that statement. This company did not even test the scaler, obviously as it was d.o.a. out of the box. It was not a firmware upgrade that was required it was a bypass to bypass all scaling functions of the 1069 !

Since the Classe SSP-800 at $8000.00 US is leaving out any video scaling, lets hope Rotel does the same thing in the replacement for the RSP-1098 and any future products.
                                                  I take exception, again. Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Anthem, to name a few of the very many, all include scaling and HDMI 1.3 for less and/or more than the price of the 1069.

Just because rotel cannot figure out video scaling that does not take them off the hook for advertising and charging for a feature that does not work.

Then to state they will only offer a bypass and make no attempt to correct the flaws of the product to work as advertised only shows it was not ready to release and that rotel is not concerned enough with the customer base to try to correct the flaws.

I realise this has nothing to do with known fixes but it does address rotels official stance on this product as I see it at this time.

Comment

• birdman
                                                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Dmantis
                                                    You know I love Rotel as much as the next guy but come on. You buy the new preamp, you find out the scaler doesn't quite work the way you hope. Then you have to send it back to Rotel to get it "fixed" at your shipping expense, your out without your brand new preamp for 13 days.... Come on guys tell me it's worth all this touble. I'm cool with firmware upgrades , software upgrades and such but hardware right out of the gate???
                                                    I wish I could tell you it was worth the trouble, but as much as I love my Rotel stuff, for me it isn't.

I've spent just shy of $9000 on Rotel stuff over the last 3.5 years, $6000 on this purchase.

I opted not to argue with anyone over this, but will almost certainly take my business elsewhere after this treatment.

@hifiguymi: Re-read my post, my dealer had already agreed to send it in. He sent a service tech out to look at the problem I had with my new RLC-1080 and to pick up the 1069.

The dealer tech called Rotel Tech to discuss the 1080 while here. He had to leave a voice mail and finally got tired of waiting for them to return his call and left. They called him back 4 hours later, then he called me back.

He was told the problem with the 1080 was in the face place and that I had to call Rotel, order and pay for a new faceplate, then send the old one back after I received the new one. (That is with my paying shipping both ways around 2 weeks after buying broken equipment for many, many thousands of $$).

So, I try to call Rotel. The number on their website would ring many times, then go to fast busy signal. This went on for two days, so I gave up on voice communication and e-mailed them. There was an 800 number on their e-mail reply that does work.

When I call the guy who replies to my e-mail, he tells me "You must go through your dealer for this" (This after already being told by dealer that they told him I had to deal with Rotel directly).

I get two more e-mails from this guy before I reply to anyone, the last of which states that he has talked to my dealer and is sending them a "pre-exchange" unit for the 1080, and that I must pay to send them the 1069.

Although I picked this stuff up at the dealer originally and hooked up myself, my dealer delivered and swapped out the RLC-1080 in my home. You see the story with the RSP-1069.

I am so happy about this that there may well be a nearly new RSP-1069, RMB-1077 and RLC-1080 on eBay when the 1069 gets sent back to me. I don't think I will ever buy anything that can't be returned again!!!

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2007

birdman,

I re-read your post and read the last one and this is all on your dealer. Rotel would never tell a dealer to have the customer call, order a new faceplate for an RLC-1080, and send back the old one. I've been selling Rotel for 15 years and they have never done that. Again, this is all on your dealer, not Rotel. The same goes for the RSP-1069. The dealer choose not to send the unit in for you. Rotel would rather their dealers do that and not the customer.

In the future the phone number to call for Rotel (and B&W) is 800-370-3740. They are very busy in tech support and are doing their best to get back with people as fast as they can. I get frustrated by that as much as the next person and they are working on correcting it. For what ever it's worth, all tech support I deal with is the same or worse. Try calling Denon some time, they make Rotel look great.

Eric

Comment

• ricky_rocket
                                                        • Jan 2008

I take exception, again. Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Anthem, to name a few of the very many, all include scaling and HDMI 1.3 for less and/or more than the price of the 1069.
                                                        Yes, many other companies offer products with more bells and whistles. However, what seems to keep Rotel in the game is that their equipment simply is built better and sounds better especially in 2 channel mode.

Also, although this problem is a lot of trouble, we are getting 2 boards for the price of one . A scaler board and a bypass board. It's kind of like a car dealer giving you a motorcycle with your car, since the car won't make it up large hills. At least they are not leaving us totally stranded.

Comment

• kmcheng
                                                          • Jan 2008

HDMI splitter

I read on the AVS forum that a Connectgear HDMI splitter (model# HSP12) allows one to send the video signal straight to display and the audio signal to a receiver such as Anthem 40. Assuming that I get a "pre-fix" Rotel 1069, would I be able to bypass the video scaler within the unit with this setup? Has anyone tried using an external HDMI splitter? What are the results?

I know it is not the most elegant solution, but a local dealer is reluctant to acknowledge any problems with the Rotel 1069.

Comment

• Brian482
                                                            • Oct 2007

My question about the rsp-1069 with these scaler problems with the hdmi is it worth getting this product if you're wanting and needing it for scaling? As is this bug a problem in the RSX-1058?

I also don't see why there would seem to be this problem due to the RDV-1092/3 does not seem to have this problem and it scales fine from what I have seen and heard.

Comment

• kiwi2000
                                                              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by kmcheng
                                                              I read on the AVS forum that a Connectgear HDMI splitter (model# HSP12) allows one to send the video signal straight to display and the audio signal to a receiver such as Anthem 40. Assuming that I get a "pre-fix" Rotel 1069, would I be able to bypass the video scaler within the unit with this setup? Has anyone tried using an external HDMI splitter? What are the results?

I know it is not the most elegant solution, but a local dealer is reluctant to acknowledge any problems with the Rotel 1069.
                                                              That is an excellent solution to a flawed product. I do not see where it says that the audio can be rerouted but it is certainly worth a second look at. I would like to do anything to get this 1069 working.
                                                              .http://www.connectgear.com/HDMI/HSP12.htm

This is the reply I got from connect gear, nice try though. Maybe something else will get this thing to work.

Unfortunately no. The splitter sends out the same audio & video signals on
                                                              both output ports. The equipment connected to
                                                              the splitter will decide if it's going to process the HDMI video, audio or
                                                              both signals.

Thanks,
                                                              Stan
                                                              PH: 510-438-0869

-----Original Message-----
                                                              From: G.S. [mailto:gsaydak@shaw.ca]
                                                              Sent: Friday, February 01, 2008 10:59 AM
                                                              To: Sales@ConnectGear.com
                                                              Subject: hsp12

Does this unit have the capablilty to split where the audio and video
                                                              portion of the HDMI signal goes? Can the audio go to one piece of gear and
                                                              video to another?
                                                              Thanks

reply to Brian482
                                                              I do not beleive that the fix does anything to the scaler, all it does is bypass it so it is of no use. The problems listed in this thread still exist but you are not encountering them as the scaler is totally bypassed.

That is my understanding anyway. As to why another piece of rotel gear does not have the problems listed your guess is as good as mine.
                                                              Last edited by kiwi2000; 01 February 2008, 19:36 Friday.

Comment

• birdman
                                                                • Dec 2005

Just got my 1069 back from having the HDMI bypass installed and I have lots of problems.

The list is long, but I am only asking this one question for now.

Under menu heading Video/HDMI, you have to choose 480p/576p, 720p, 1080i or 1080p - there is no "off" or "n/a" setting.

My display is receiving whatever this resolution is set on no matter whether HDMI Bypass is set to Yes or No.

Shouldn't my display receive whatever resolution is being sent into the 1069 with the HDMI Bypass set to "Yes"? e.g., If I'm sending a 480i signal into the 1069, shouldn't the 1069 forward a 480i signal to the display?

Thanks

Comment

• garak
                                                                  • Jul 2007

Just got my 1069 back from having the HDMI bypass installed and I have lots of problems.

The list is long, but I am only asking this one question for now.

Under menu heading Video/HDMI, you have to choose 480p/576p, 720p, 1080i or 1080p - there is no "off" or "n/a" setting.

My display is receiving whatever this resolution is set on no matter whether HDMI Bypass is set to Yes or No.

Shouldn't my display receive whatever resolution is being sent into the 1069 with the HDMI Bypass set to "Yes"? e.g., If I'm sending a 480i signal into the 1069, shouldn't the 1069 forward a 480i signal to the display?

Thanks
                                                                  The HDMI bypass only bypasses the scalar for sources connected to the HDMI Inputs on the 1069.

Comment

• birdman
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by garak
                                                                    The HDMI bypass only bypasses the scalar for sources connected to the HDMI Inputs on the 1069.
                                                                    Everything is connected via HDMI.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2005

direct your dealer to this thread. Have him read the official response from the VP of Rotel on the first post and ask if he still does not acknowladge any problems.

If he still does not then contact rotel directly.

Comment

• piperpilot
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2008

Everything is connected via HDMI.
                                                                        Birdman,
                                                                        Sent you a PM. I'll be receiving my modified 1069 soon. You had mentioned that you were having other issues and I am curious what they are?

Thanks...

Comment

• kiwi2000
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Jan 2008

birdman please detail the other problems you are experiencing with the bypass installed. This will help others get the problems solved when it is sent in rather than after.

You wrote Shouldn't my display receive whatever resolution is being sent into the 1069 with the HDMI Bypass set to "Yes"? e.g., If I'm sending a 480i signal into the 1069, shouldn't the 1069 forward a 480i signal to the display?
                                                                          That is the way I understand the bypass should work. If it is as you say then the bypass modification is not functioning properly.

I am concerned now that it has been mentioned that the bypass only works for hdmi input signals and the other video inputs get scaled anyway.

Comment

• kmcheng
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jan 2008
                                                                            • 253

That is an excellent solution to a flawed product. I do not see where it says that the audio can be rerouted but it is certainly worth a second look at. I would like to do anything to get this 1069 working.
                                                                            .http://www.connectgear.com/HDMI/HSP12.htm

This is the reply I got from connect gear, nice try though. Maybe something else will get this thing to work.

Unfortunately no. The splitter sends out the same audio & video signals on
                                                                            both output ports. The equipment connected to
                                                                            the splitter will decide if it's going to process the HDMI video, audio or
                                                                            both signals.

Thanks,
                                                                            Stan
                                                                            PH: 510-438-0869

-----Original Message-----
                                                                            From: G.S. Sent: Friday, February 01, 2008 10:59 AM
                                                                            To: ConnectGear
                                                                            Subject: hsp12

Does this unit have the capablilty to split where the audio and video
                                                                            portion of the HDMI signal goes? Can the audio go to one piece of gear and
                                                                            video to another?
                                                                            Thanks
                                                                            Actually, I don't think you need to split audio and video. It would be good enough if it can broadcast both audio and video to both the 1069 AND the display. Now, turn the volume down to zero on the display, and you may need to connect the HDMI output from the 1069 to some dummy display to complete the HDMI path in order to extrat the 1069's audio functionality.

I will email ConnectGear to see if the splitter can pass HDMI 1.1 audio signal. There is a similar product by Gefen (the HDMI 1x2 splitter), but the Gefen tech confirmed that its product cannot even pass Dolby Digital, despite the claim on Gefen's website that it can pass both video and audio signals. (Check out Gefen's own forums.)

Vancouver: Thank you for your comments. Apparently the 1069 is flying off my dealer's shelves, so the dealer has no economic reason whatsoever to acknowledge or research into the problem. I myself was ready to put my money down, but then I came across your blog. (Thanks a lot for your contributions!!) I am trying to get my dealer to work a little bit before I give them my money, but they obviously don't want to work without having my money first. I am not exactly complaining about the dealer though, because they actually have good prices and a good return policy. I just wish Rotel had come out with a better product in the first place. FWIW, I live in the Boston area.
                                                                            Last edited by Kevin D; 05 February 2008, 23:10 Tuesday.

Comment

• birdman
                                                                              Junior Member
                                                                              • Dec 2005
                                                                              • 8

#83
                                                                              birdman please detail the other problems you are experiencing with the bypass installed.
                                                                              I have already been in contact with Rotel tech support on this subject. It appears there was a mistake made when the HDMI bypass was installed.

I don't want to write a list as if I'm trying to make the product look bad. Suffice it to say I think Rotel will make it right.

I talked to them right at closing time Friday, so didn't get really detailed with them so they could go home. My question here was merely to verify at least one of the items I am having issue with prior to sending the unit back again, this one seemed the easiest to verify to me - guess that was a wrong assumption beings no one has answered it.

I guess I'm just lucky - looks like I'm the only one who was forced to pay shipping to have the upgrade done AND the only one to have their unit messed up when the upgrade was done. :T

Comment

• piperpilot
                                                                                Junior Member
                                                                                • Jan 2008
                                                                                • 24

#84
                                                                                Hi Birdman,

I just got my modified 1069 from Rotel. I haven't had a chance to really test it out yet, but I did connect it and here are some quick observations...

With HDMI Bypass on, the unit does pass through whatever resolution it receives over the HDMI input. IE: if it receives 720p, it sends 720p out the HDMI output, etc - so the scaler is bypassed (which is what I wanted because I'd rather use the scaler in my Pioneer Elite Plasma). It looks like 1080/24p also works now with the bypass enabled, although I need to spend some more time verifying this. I still dont think the unit will pass x.v.Color - I guess because the system isn't HDMI 1.3?

I'll mess with it some more tonight or tomorrow and if I find anything else, I'll let you know.

Birdman, hope you get yours back quickly... Sorry to hear your still having problems.

Cheers!
                                                                                Last edited by piperpilot; 05 February 2008, 11:05 Tuesday.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • Oct 2002
                                                                                  • 4601

#85
                                                                                  Actually, I don't think you need to split audio and video. It would be good enough if it can broadcast both audio and video to both the 1069 AND the display. Now, turn the volume down to zero on the display, and you may need to connect the HDMI output from the 1069 to some dummy display to complete the HDMI path in order to extrat the 1069's audio functionality.
                                                                                  The 1069's HDMI functionality will work fine with no display device connected to the HDMI outputs..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • Oct 2002
                                                                                    • 4601

#86
                                                                                    Originally posted by piperpilot
                                                                                    I still dont think the unit still doesn't pass x.v.Color - I guess because the system isn't HDMI 1.3?

Cheers!
                                                                                    What are you using to test with? It was my understanding that no current source will output Deepcolor or xvColor.

Kevin D.

Comment

• piperpilot
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Jan 2008
                                                                                      • 24

#87
                                                                                      What are you using to test with? It was my understanding that no current source will output Deepcolor or xvColor.

Kevin D.
                                                                                      Hi Kevin,
                                                                                      I agree, no current source material that I know of (BR Disc, etc) available today is recorded with xvColor.
                                                                                      When I connect my Blu-Ray player(that is xvColor capable, supposedly) directly to my Pioneer Plasma via HDMI cable, it will report 36-bit Color (on my plasma), however when when I connect it through the 1069, it doesn't say this. From talking to others regarding the Pioneer Plasma, 36-bit indicates that the source sending the video is xvColor compatible (even though the source material may not be). This might not be the most scientific test, but its all I have. Sorry, should have clarified earlier why i said that.

Cheers!

Comment

• rmassey
                                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                                        • Jul 2003
                                                                                        • 23

#88
                                                                                        I am reviewing the current state of the 1069 for a friend's planned upgrade.

So, let me understand this..... if you a willing to bypass (yet pay for) the scaler with the offered fix, then the 1069 works as intended, correct? I can live with that, just want to make sure I understand what's offered.

Do all new 1069 orders/sales include the bypass board + menu item, or is this something we'd have to verify for a new purchase?

Scaler still applies to component output, even with the board fix? Does it crush the blacks and have similar issues as with HDMI?

Other concerns....

Are the 12v triggers assignable and work correctly. Planned use is for a 5 ch main amp + 2 ch zone two amp. This seems to not work on the 1066 for the current install and thus requires manually turning amps on/off.

Zone two - does the remote work for zone two or is an IR extender required as with the 1066?

Zone two output - works as designed with full output/quality. We seem to have an issue with the current 1066.

....

Any other new issues that need to be considered? Is it worth waiting for the 1099 to see if the scaler is fixed, or is that still to far off?

I appreciate all the feedback in this thread. Too bad we cannot trust manufacturers (all, not just Rotel) to make products that work :roll:
                                                                                        Last edited by rmassey; 14 February 2008, 23:54 Thursday.

Comment

• kiwi2000
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • Jan 2008
                                                                                          • 52

#89
                                                                                          After what the member in post 83 described I have asked my dealer to order in a new unit with the mod done and he has agreed as a way to avoid any potential problems. When it arrives the dealer and I will trouble shoot it together using the information supplied in this and other threads to make positively sure that the 1069 performs as advertised,(minus the fact the paid for scaler will not function).

If it is satisfactory then I will exchange for the unit feeling confident that the 1069 with the mod will fullfill my needs for the future.

This is supposed to occur this month and I will report to this thread if the exchange was made and if all problems are corrected.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                                            • Sep 2005
                                                                                            • 1792

#90
                                                                                            After what the member in post 83 described I have asked my dealer to order in a new unit with the mod done and he has agreed as a way to avoid any potential problems. When it arrives the dealer and I will trouble shoot it together using the information supplied in this and other threads to make positively sure that the 1069 performs as advertised,(minus the fact the paid for scaler will not function).

If it is satisfactory then I will exchange for the unit feeling confident that the 1069 with the mod will fullfill my needs for the future.

This is supposed to occur this month and I will report to this thread if the exchange was made and if all problems are corrected.

Kiwi,
                                                                                            Some people have found an issue with the DYN control. It may be stuck on "low" even if you make the change form low to med to high. Can you and your dealer test that?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"